You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

26 minutes ago, TK421 said:

You speak like there's a vaccine and this is all over.   Not sure how you figure that a second peak "won't matter". 

No man - pretty sure you know where this is coming from.

To the first point there are and have been vaccines for flu - there are still deaths every year from it - you get the jab, it has mutated and you still get it. So it is really a mental placater - even with it there is still risk.

Unless the second peak (or third) is a mountain it will end up being spun effectively by most governments for differing reasons. 

Let's say the second (third) peak is as big as the first, or bigger. The UK finishes this year at 80k. Maybe the US is at 200k. At some point those numbers will end up being normalized in a couple of ways. First someone (in da gubment) is going to point out the death rate of the most deadly airborne disease - tuberculosis. Which has a couple vaccines.

Covid has a hell of alot of ground to make up.

After that, there will be data coming out as to how many people ( which I venture will be ultimately measured in billions)  have been adversely effected ( physically, mentally and oh yeah, economically). 

And that would just be the first wave of analysis - if things stay "new normal" for five years, politically from the left that is going to be lllllooooonnnngggg row to hoe. 

52 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The thing is with these advisors, you can sack them, still use them and bring them back easily enough anyway when the storm is over. I don't quite understand why they've not just sacked him. 

Yeah, a Scruton style sabbatical would have made more sense. Still, it'll only be a problem for them if the press don't get bored of it after a couple of days and/or polling starts changing.

I go to bed at night after night after witnessing farce after farce, day after day and watching reports of thousands upon thousands of unnecessary deaths and I console myself in the thought 'oh well, could be worse could have had Corbyn.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Yeah, a Scruton style sabbatical would have made more sense. Still, it'll only be a problem for them if the press don't get bored of it after a couple of days and/or polling starts changing.

I don't think the press will get bored with this. I get the impression there's a lot of people out there who've been waiting to go after Cummings. And there's pretty much nothing else happening new wise, so they'll just get stuck in. As you said though, how it's reflected in polling numbers is probably most important. Up to now Johnson has seemed a little like trump and it just doesn't matter how bad he gets, his supporters just stick with him

Just now, Barry Wom said:

I don't think the press will get bored with this. I get the impression there's a lot of people out there who've been waiting to go after Cummings. And there's pretty much nothing else happening new wise, so they'll just get stuck in. As you said though, how it's reflected in polling numbers is probably most important. Up to now Johnson has seemed a little like trump and it just doesn't matter how bad he gets, his supporters just stick with him

Yeah agree. Very instructive that this is the issue that's got them all hot under the collar, though.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Kier Starmer is a paedo protector according to the Leave mob so it would be interesting to see how that would play out alongside his Remain stance. 

Who’d win a fight between Brexit and noncing? There’s only one way to find out...

He's protecting nazis? 

https://malatesta32.wordpress.com/2019/01/21/2019-far-right-sex-offenders-update/

6 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Yeah agree. Very instructive that this is the issue that's got them all hot under the collar, though.

This is on an issue that directly affects Joe Public so it's easier to sell. Plus, a lot of them must have really started to get pissed off with reduced media access.

1 minute ago, Trumo said:

This is on an issue that directly affects Joe Public so it's easier to sell. Plus, a lot of them must have really started to get pissed off with reduced media access.

Yeah, they don't usually give two fucks about that. In fact if it's something that affects a certain section of Joe Public they don't like, they'll gleefully cheer it on from the sidelines.

The key difference here, as you say, is their own aggrievement, which is usually the only thing that gets them to do anything even remotely approaching their actual job.

52 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The latest justification seems to be that Cummings uncle had recently died and nobody has acknowledged that they were a grieving family. 

If that's their briefed line, that's just going to add even more fuel to the fire. 

That just makes it worse given most families have t been able to come together to grieve loved ones who’ve died.

On 19/03/2020 at 08:52, Vincent Vega said:

A couple of predictions from me.

1. Brexit won't happen. The country won't be able to afford it.

2. Johnson won't be PM once the crisis comes to an end. The fallout from the government's handling of this crisis will make his position untenable.

Number 2 looking more likely than ever tonight, and if number 2 comes to pass that makes number 1 more likely in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Not going well for Johnson or Cummings 

Thd audience who need to be watching are not and will not, and even if they did they wouldn’t care.

Our echo chamber condemns this whilst Mr and Mrs of somewhere nondescript got bored and turned over when they didn’t know who Darren Cumming was.

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Number 2 looking more likely than ever tonight, and if number 2 comes to pass that makes number 1 more likely in my opinion.

Brexit is done, it’s all about damage limitation if number two comes to pass. Alex didn’t care either way ideologically, Gove does.

8 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Yep his old adviser/mate has now binned him

What's embarrassing is not seeing what Boris is all about in the first place FFS look at the guys past. I don't know who Tim Montgomerie is but hes a fucking tit. It's like admiting you were wrong as the great white swallows your legs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1