You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

I see they’ve exempted NHS staff from  overseas from paying that appalling health care surcharge. Don’t anyone dare praise them for having done something which should never have been there in the first place

14 minutes ago, mattyq said:

FT's latest estimate of Covid related deaths is 63,300

Number 1 in Europe... so much winning. God bless Bozza

I think that you will find, my esteemed colleague that if those figures were true this would put the UK Govt in a position of lying to the British public.

We all know that as this is not even remotely possible, those figures of course must be wrong.

Just now, TK421 said:

Chris Whitty talking about "confidence intervals", like the British public have the first clue about what he means.

Yeah he basically means that for 5 minutes a day we should have confidence in the government. 

Its too much. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah he basically means that for 5 minutes a day we should have confidence in the government. 

Its too much. 

Have a go at this quiz...

https://peterattiamd.com/confidence/

Even with the answers I am none the wiser...

Answers

A1: 4.2441 light years away [Proxima Centauri]

A2: $13,637,000,000 [IMF Statistic]

A3: 107 inches [Robert Wadlow, the Giant of Illinois]

A4: 10,984 meters [Challenger Deep measurement]

A5: 237,674.5 miles away [NASA number]

A6: 145,872,256 people [Worldometers number]

A7: 615 seats [Layout: Two Class, Flat Bed Business (Rows 6-23), Standard Economy (Rows 24-88)]

A8: 1,517 people [Titanic stat]

A9: $351.5 billion [... market cap was...]

A10: 1:14.260 min:sec [Max Verstappen, 2018 Monaco Grand Prix]

A11: 894 goals [The Great One’s NHL stats]

A12: $19,653,000,000 [2019 Budget overview]

A13: 550,000,000 Big Macs [McDonald’s suggests...]

A14: 369,548 students 2018/2019 academic year [students from China]

A15: 811,400,000 passengers [US Bureau of Transport Statistics]

A16: 1,410,518,000,000 pounds (short tons converted to pounds) [US Coal numbers]

A17: 205 breeds and varieties [Westminster Kennel Club]

A18: 3,500,000,000 searches per day [Google Search stats]

A19: 226,679,700 pounds (full displacement, from long tons to pounds) [Navy wayback]

A20: 942 times/instances [King James Bible online] Interpreting your resultsIf you did the exercise correctly, you will have correctly captured the answer in your ranges exactly 19 out of 20 times. No more, no less.If you got 10 correct (that is, for 10 questionsyour range include the correct answer), it means you actually produceda 50% confidence interval. In other words, you did not use a large enough range to provide 95% confidence. If you got 12 correct, it means you produceda 60% confidence interval, again, too small a range to provide 95% confidence. And so on. And in the unlikely event that you got all 20 correct (that is, for every question your range included the correct answer), it means you produceda 100% confidence interval. Translated another way, it means you created too large a confidence interval.

Spent the day trying to keep 11 kids between the age of 4 and 11 socially distanced. Impossible.  If schools go back start stocking up on your bog rolls for Lockdown 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Interesting twitter thread for anyone thinking "some schools in Europe have opened" and the comparisons between their way and ours. 

• Upvote 4

I see the ‘refreshing’ and ‘optimistic’ Sikora is at it again. Moaning because a video he made with Unherd was taken down from YouTube before being reinstated. I’m not going to link to the video but I’ve taken a screenshot of his views.

CD7BCE38-655A-46C7-A6F0-BB117A29826E.png

46B9C38F-DC68-4087-B633-AC83013C41A7.png

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Spent the day trying to keep 11 kids between the age of 4 and 11 socially distanced. Impossible.  If schools go back start stocking up on your bog rolls for Lockdown 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Interesting twitter thread for anyone thinking "some schools in Europe have opened" and the comparisons between their way and ours. 

My husband has worked a few shifts in what are called hub schools here, supervising key workers kids in groups no bigger than 6. He’s been taking them outside as much as possible but even then he says it been at nightmare at times. He’s struggling to see how it’d be possible to manage class sizes as big as they’ve been suggested for England 

20 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I see the ‘refreshing’ and ‘optimistic’ Sikora is at it again. Moaning because a video he made with Unherd was taken down from YouTube before being reinstated. I’m not going to link to the video but I’ve taken a screenshot of his views.

CD7BCE38-655A-46C7-A6F0-BB117A29826E.png

46B9C38F-DC68-4087-B633-AC83013C41A7.png

This guy's a scientist? He sounds like your average pub bore

I wouldn't put it past HMG to manipulate the data we see each day from PHE around covid cases and deaths.

That said, why would they do it?  If they are going for herd immunity, then that would definitely impact on productivity if we opened everything back up.  We're still talking about 500,000 deaths, and as many hospitalisations.  

If we discount the idea that HMG are doing this, then are we left with the truth? 

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

This guy's a scientist? He sounds like your average pub bore

I saw him talk on an interview from This Morning (that's even above his level) and he talked about how viruses in the past have run their course and died fairly quickly and by the time we get a vaccine it probably won't be needed.  He used The Plague (which was a bacteria carried by fleas and not apparently transmitted from person to person) as an example along with MERS and SARS examples provided by th TV show's hosts and said that no-one understands that they went away by themselves.

The person who understands the least is him. Three of the deadliest pandemics in history were caused by the same bacterium (Yersinia Pestis) which according to the history books first appeared in Constantinople in 541 CE. It spread across Europe, Asia, North Africa and Arabia killing between 30 and 50 million people (at that time, not far off half the world's population).

Then it resurfaced 800 years later - as the Black Death - hitting Europe in 1347 and killing 200 million in FOUR YEARS.

Not only that, but approximately every 20 years it reappeared in London (as the Great Plague of London) a total of 40 times over the next THREE HUNDRED years, each time killing approximately 20% of the population. The final appearance in 1665 was the worst of all, killing approximately 100,000 people in seven months.

If he's a scientist, he's not a very good one.

11 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I saw him talk on an interview from This Morning (that's even above his level) and he talked about how viruses in the past have run their course and died fairly quickly and by the time we get a vaccine it probably won't be needed.  He used The Plague (which was a bacteria carried by fleas and not apparently transmitted from person to person) as an example along with MERS and SARS examples provided by th TV show's hosts and said that no-one understands that they went away by themselves.

The person who understands the least is him. Three of the deadliest pandemics in history were caused by the same bacterium (Yersinia Pestis) which according to the history books first appeared in Constantinople in 541 CE. It spread across Europe, Asia, North Africa and Arabia killing between 30 and 50 million people (at that time, not far off half the world's population).

Then it resurfaced 800 years later - as the Black Death - hitting Europe in 1347 and killing 200 million in FOUR YEARS.

Not only that, but approximately every 20 years it reappeared in London (as the Great Plague of London) a total of 40 times over the next THREE HUNDRED years, each time killing approximately 20% of the population. The final appearance in 1665 was the worst of all, killing approximately 100,000 people in seven months.

If he's a scientist, he's not a very good one.

Might be me being cynical, but I wonder if he's just a useful mouthpiece for right wingers pushing to get the plebs making them money again economy moving. His comments about the virus getting 'bored' or 'tired' are idiotic.

Just now, Code said:

145.000 people live in my city, we have 0 deaths from covid-19.

145.000? So that's 145 people with no fractions? I will have to look into how many people are in my city. I might find there are 278.891 people. Then I would most definitely like to meet the person who is .891 of a person.