You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

25 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

The highest number new cases for a single day reported today. 106000 new cases worldwide according to WHO this afternoon. 

17 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Saw on BBC that it’s slowing down in Europe but rapidly accelerating in other continents (I assume that means South America & Africa).

North America is good for about a quarter of those.

41 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Saw on BBC that it’s slowing down in Europe but rapidly accelerating in other continents (I assume that means South America & Africa).

South America certainly, Brazil, Peru and Mexico both look to be rising exponentially at the moment- https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries - and are very likely under-reporting cases too (definitely in Brazil's case). India's likely to really take off soon, too.

5 hours ago, TK421 said:

University tuition fees don't seem like such a good idea all of a sudden.  The students don't want to get into mounting debt with the economic outlook being so bleak for when they graduate, leaving a black hole in university finances.  What an unholy mess. 

They never seemed like a good idea. And they've ruined English universities in my opinion...

5 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

They never seemed like a good idea. And they've ruined English universities in my opinion...

Yep, they're money obsessed, student numbers are all they care about as are research grants. Their finances seem to be previously based more and more on foreign students and even before this there seemed to be very little resilience in that funding model. The loss of Chinese students, for example, will hit Liverpool's unis like an atom bomb.

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yep, they're money obsessed, student numbers are all they care about as are research grants. Their finances seem to be previously based more and more on foreign students and even before this there seemed to be very little resilience in that funding model. The loss of Chinese students, for example, will hit Liverpool's unis like an atom bomb.

Lots of spare residence for the homeless then seeing as its getting more and more like the Manhattan skyline everytime I look up in town 

1 minute ago, Vincent Vega said:

Russia 308,000 declared cases (second highest in the world), 8,700 cases today.........less than 3000 deaths.

EC8B88A1-6D90-408D-8D6C-4C80477FBFA8.jpeg

Don't forget theee doctors who've "fallen" out of windows and a number of covid patients in intensive care accidentally killed when a ventilator exploded. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Section_31 said:

Don't forget theee doctors who've "fallen" out of windows and a number of covid patients in intensive care accidentally killed when a ventilator exploded. 

Haha, knew about the doctors, hadn’t heard about the exploding ventilator.

Did you see that Channel 4 documentary series on Putin recently? His corruption is on another level. It was inferred that he and the FSB were behind those explosions in apartment blocks in Moscow in 1999. He used them as an excuse to go to war with Chechnya.

2 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Did you see that Channel 4 documentary series on Putin recently? His corruption is on another level. It was inferred that he and the FSB were behind those explosions in apartment blocks in Moscow in 1999. He used them as an excuse to go to war with Chechnya.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-52629781#aoh=15900111536404&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Yeah I saw that one, could well believe it. I think we played a big part too though. Goodman sachs and chums were like flies around shit over there in the early 90s by all accounts, Putin apparently took on the role with the intention of it being short term in return for a big payday, he just wanted cash by all accounts.

He was quite Buddyish with Blair and Clinton back in the day and apparently even raised the prospect of Russia one day joining NATO, but the people around Clinton apparently shit a brick. Things then deteriorated under Dubya.

10 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

реактивное топливо не плавит стальные балки

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

I quite agree but coronavirus compounds matters badly.  Nobody will want to amass debt with such an uncertain future. 

Most people that I know that went to Uni didn't give the debt a second thought. A girl I know is now in her third degree and has got something close to 60k of student debt.

You've always got the option of going to Scotland or Wales if you want to avoid it.

43 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Most people that I know that went to Uni didn't give the debt a second thought. A girl I know is now in her third degree and has got something close to 60k of student debt.

You've always got the option of going to Scotland or Wales if you want to avoid it.

Vote Clegg 

Government says it's fine for people to go out to go to the beach or park as long as they stay 2 metres apart, next day the media is look at all these idiots at the beach and using picture perspectives to make them look even closer.  It can still look busy and people be 2 metres apart. They're following government guidelines, if you don't like it shame the government. 

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Government says it's fine for people to go out to go to the beach or park as long as they stay 2 metres apart, next day the media is look at all these idiots at the beach and using picture perspectives to make them look even closer.  It can still look busy and people be 2 metres apart. They're following government guidelines, if you don't like it shame the government. 

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

That's all true. But I mean at an even more fundamental level - in terms of the relationship between teacher and student. Once it becomes (perceived as) a commercial relationship, the teacher is regarded as a service provider (by students especially) and the student as a customer (by management especially). That's the death of it - as an authentic pedagogical and even human relationship. It's become a form of prostitution.

This may all sound pretty abstract, but I experience it on a daily basis. And I've been around long enough to know that it used to be different and better.

www.covibes.org 

About

Covid19 outbreaks in 2020 have caused major disruptions worldwide to people’s life, health care services and economies. At the timing of writing, 2020/4/12, the world has witnessed 1.8m confirmed cases and over 100k deaths. Numerous data sources are advancing around the world. We have sorted locations into 4 zones: 1) Outbreak, 2) Peak, 3) Descent; and 4) Recovery, to describe their progress in this pandemic. For each location, we provide summary statistics and forecasts. We aim to help by turning data into summary information at your fingertips. This www.coVibes.org website is accessible via browsers on your mobile and desktop devices.

App not ready in time, despite assurances yesterday in the lower house which we all could see had no basis in reality!

Don't worry no questions for a few weeks due to recess at a time of national crisis, so the message given to the public will have been fine tuned and polished and fit for pleb consumption before any serious questions can be asked.

Fucking cretins.