You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:

University tuition fees don't seem like such a good idea all of a sudden.  The students don't want to get into mounting debt with the economic outlook being so bleak for when they graduate, leaving a black hole in university finances.  What an unholy mess. 

They are really going to miss the high paying international students. 

13 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

They are really going to miss the high paying international students. 

There are moves afoot to bring some educational establishments back into public ownership (at an FE level) due to debts.  The Unis are going to be massively hit so they might follow suit (meaning most of the new post-1992 ones, the ones @TK421 looks down his nose at), or they'll just go to the wall.

30 minutes ago, TK421 said:

University tuition fees don't seem like such a good idea all of a sudden.  The students don't want to get into mounting debt with the economic outlook being so bleak for when they graduate, leaving a black hole in university finances.  What an unholy mess. 

Don't worry, the Lib-dems will sort that out for them..... 

46 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

There are moves afoot to bring some educational establishments back into public ownership (at an FE level) due to debts.  The Unis are going to be massively hit so they might follow suit (meaning most of the new post-1992 ones, the ones @TK421 looks down his nose at), or they'll just go to the wall.

Not all of them, just De Montfort as they were a direct rival.  They ran a big TV advertising campaign when I was a student. This was annoying, because if someone asked me where I went to uni and I said "Leicester Uni", they would reply "oh, De Montfort?".  And I'd say "no not De Montfort, the proper one". 

Guest Pistonbroke
4 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

Well they would say that wouldn't they? Bloody foreigners reporting on our news. 

To be fair they Surveyed Britons as as well. I actually dug up the Survey here...... https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/survey-finds-that-uk-written-press-is-by-some-way-the-least-trusted-in-europe/ I believe the UK media won this accolade on quite a few occasions. 

23 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Another 363 residents of the United Kingdom dead in a day.

Everything's fine though. 

England hospital only deaths are around <150 per day now. I reckon they’ll be under a 100 next week.

I think the other home nations maybe add another 50 per day to that.

Obviously nothing to shout about, it’s still tragic,  but as I’ve said a few times, Care Homes and hospitals need to be a separate metric. I reckon >50% of deaths per day now are in Care Homes (they might always have been but the reporting was shite).

55 minutes ago, Mudface said:

CORONAVIRUS: Daily update

As of 9am 20 May, there have been 2,962,227 tests, with 177,216 tests on 19 May. 

1,996,648 people have been tested of which 248,293 tested positive. 

As of 5pm on 19 May, of those tested positive for coronavirus, across all settings, 35,704 have sadly died.

What the hell are they doing with the testing? That's nearly 3 tests per person, unless they've flooded the mail again.

Are they seriously relying on the royal mail though? It can take weeks for anything to get to me at the moment. 

55 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

England hospital only deaths are around <150 per day now. I reckon they’ll be under a 100 next week.

I think the other home nations maybe add another 50 per day to that.

Obviously nothing to shout about, it’s still tragic,  but as I’ve said a few times, Care Homes and hospitals need to be a separate metric. I reckon >50% of deaths per day now are in Care Homes (they might always have been but the reporting was shite).

Why should they be separated out? These are our national statistics, nobody should be excluded. 

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Brazilian virologist on the telly. She can genetically bond to my protein spike anytime.

20200520_192300.jpg

She's a bottom half like preti Patel though. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Why should they be separated out? These are our national statistics, nobody should be excluded. 

I agree, they should all be reported but, IMO, it would be more beneficial to see the the deaths split between hospitals and care homes. 

Make the reporting stacked graphs, show them them both, but IMO, there should be a split between them. 

At the moment, hospital deaths and people in hospital with COVID19 is falling significantly. I’m not saying Care Homes should be ignored, 100% not, but people who work / live in care homes make up significantly less of the population than the general outgoing public. 

If anything, splitting the reporting will put more focus on how badly treated the Care Homes have been treated. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

To be fair they Surveyed Britons as as well. I actually dug up the Survey here...... https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/survey-finds-that-uk-written-press-is-by-some-way-the-least-trusted-in-europe/ I believe the UK media won this accolade on quite a few occasions. 

I was just doing a "bloody foreigners coming over here taking our jobs" thing.

22 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Are they seriously relying on the royal mail though? It can take weeks for anything to get to me at the moment. 

She's a bottom half like preti Patel though. 

scaly skin and a tail? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

The only way to dent this government is for a Labour MP to walk upto Jacob Rees Mogg in parliament, say "you think it's fine to spread this do you?" and cough in his face, and watch him dive for cover.  

Seems to be working

Jacob Rees-Mogg on Tuesday night in Parliament, as the Brexit debate raged around him.

7 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

The highest number new cases for a single day reported today. 106000 new cases worldwide according to WHO this afternoon. 

Saw on BBC that it’s slowing down in Europe but rapidly accelerating in other continents (I assume that means South America & Africa).

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I agree, they should all be reported but, IMO, it would be more beneficial to see the the deaths split between hospitals and care homes. 

Make the reporting stacked graphs, show them them both, but IMO, there should be a split between them. 

At the moment, hospital deaths and people in hospital with COVID19 is falling significantly. I’m not saying Care Homes should be ignored, 100% not, but people who work / live in care homes make up significantly less of the population than the general outgoing public. 

If anything, splitting the reporting will put more focus on how badly treated the Care Homes have been treated. 

You see I think that can work both ways. It can mean some people just think it's a virus for care homes, the rest of the population is fine (or heading to fine) , so we can start being more relaxed about social distancing etc, because it's not our problem. People who work in care homes still need to live with the rest of the population and have every chance of spreading to the rest of us when they're shopping etc. 

• Upvote 1