You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Who are Moderna, they say their vaccine works like a peach, on people.

Not sure who they are, but I posted a NYT article about their vaccine, above. 

It looks promising, although it's only been tested on 8 people. They're planning on accelerating the testing over the coming months and hope to be testing in the "thousands" by July. 

34 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Agreed, but I do think the WHO is deserving of criticism. Far too late declaring it a pandemic and poor mask advice amongst other things, in my opinion.  

He was researching for a Book! 

• Upvote 2

Found out I've been made redundant today. I work on cruise ships and since the industry in general has no clue when it's going to be back in service, they've let a metric ton of the workforce go to cut their losses. 

Quite conflicted because after 2 years of being away I was already considering going back to living and working on land. But it's a kick in the mouth to lose that safety net and be forced to say goodbye (for now) to a lot of good friends from all over the world. 

Oh well, it is what it is.

Made sure to whack this on as well

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ken Robber said:

Found out I've been made redundant today. I work on cruise ships and since the industry in general has no clue when it's going to be back in service, they've let a metric ton of the workforce go to cut their losses. 

Quite conflicted because after 2 years of being away I was already considering going back to living and working on land. But it's a kick in the mouth to lose that safety net and be forced to say goodbye (for now) to a lot of good friends from all over the world. 

Oh well, it is what it is.

Made sure to whack this on as well

Sorry to hear that, her daughter works for Carnival in Southampton and is expecting the same. 

I have a couple of mates in Liverpool, one a chef, the other a steward, well the chef lives in Latvia now but I can't make out how it works for those at sea, the steward went back to sea about the same time the Lockdown started I think, wouldn't of that seemed a bit dodgy joining a ship in case of infecting others? They're not Liners , and the other way round when taking leave, though I suppose they are pretty much away from it at sea? 

9 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Sorry to hear that, her daughter works for Carnival in Southampton and is expecting the same. 

I have a couple of mates in Liverpool, one a chef, the other a steward, well the chef lives in Latvia now but I can't make out how it works for those at sea, the steward went back to sea about the same time the Lockdown started I think, wouldn't of that seemed a bit dodgy joining a ship in case of infecting others? They're not Liners , and the other way round when taking leave, though I suppose they are pretty much away from it at sea? 

Carnivals the same company I work for. Might actually know her if she's from Southampton because brits usually make up the entertainment and guest services staff. 

Can't speak for other companies but they're basically keeping staff to the absolute minimum until they're allowed to sail again. 

I was quarantined on my last ship until they were able to get me a flight home in late March. Stewards were still working as normal like, just on far less hours

34 minutes ago, Ken Robber said:

Carnivals the same company I work for. Might actually know her if she's from Southampton because brits usually make up the entertainment and guest services staff. 

Can't speak for other companies but they're basically keeping staff to the absolute minimum until they're allowed to sail again. 

I was quarantined on my last ship until they were able to get me a flight home in late March. Stewards were still working as normal like, just on far less hours

I think she does have something to do with that side of things, Taryn her name and does live here, a few ships tied up here, I live about 5 minutes from Carnivals office. 

The mate does 4 weeks on and 4 off and I wondered why there was Stewards on whatever ship there on, obviously the Chef etc, and a mate said all officers have Stewards, I see some of them now and again as they  come into the Juniper Berry when they're in to see me and a bevvy, you can see the pub from the Carnival building. 

Anyway I hope its OK for her as I've not heard anything yet, and hope you get fixed up soon. You might even know a mate or two as they've been on the Liners  

not so long ago, one was a ship that took passengers to Antarctica from Montevideo, about 3 years ago. 

2 hours ago, TK421 said:

Agreed, but I do think the WHO is deserving of criticism. Far too late declaring it a pandemic and poor mask advice amongst other things, in my opinion.  

Behave. You were the biggest WHO fanboy on the forum until you didn’t like their mask advice.

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The vaccine was shown to reduce symptoms and prevent pneumonia in the monkeys despite them having been blasted with a much higher dose of the virus than is usual. It doesn't look like it prevents infection but it's not useless. 

Maybe I misunderstand vaccines, but generally isn't that how they work? Nothing can prevent you from catching a virus, but the vaccine provides your immune system with the tools to be able to see the virus off before you as much as get symptoms normally or if you do get symptoms, it's why they're pretty mild?