You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

26 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Sounds a bit like how they stumbled across the cure for Smallpox.

Someone doctor type chap doing research into a vaccine for Smallpox heard what he thought he thought was a bit of an old wives tale about people who'd had Cowpox never getting Smallpox.

Whoever it was went researching and found evidence that showed dairy farmers did in fact seem to have immunity to SP. In order to try out this theory, the doctor got hold of some kid who had previously suffered from CP and deliberately gave the young lad a dose of SP. The kid lived to tell the tale unscathed and a vaccine for SP was found.

There's a documentary about it out there somewhere.  

Know anyone who has had SARS? There could be a few billion in it for you.

It's starting to unravel- https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/16/revolt-over-easing-lockdown-spreads-as-poll-slump-hits-prime-minister

Revolt over easing of lockdown spreads as poll slump hits PM

Manchester mayor unleashes fury at Johnson plan, while public approval for government strategy plummets
 Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, believes Boris Johnson is ignoring how coronavirus measures will affect the rest of Britain.
Boris Johnson was hit by a growing revolt over his strategy for easing the Covid-19 lockdown last night as council leaders across the north of England joined unions in vowing to resist plans to reopen schools on 1 June.

Signs of disunity spread as a new opinion poll for the Observer showed approval ratings for the government over its handling of the crisis had plummeted since the prime minister dropped the “stay at home” message and eased restrictions a week ago.

In a further sign of discord, the mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, writing in today’s Observer, says no one thought to tell the leaders of the biggest towns and cities outside London in advance of the prime minister’s decision to encourage people to go back to work last Monday.

“In Greater Manchester, we had no real notice of the measures. On the eve of a new working week, the PM was on TV ‘actively encouraging’ a return to work. Even though that would clearly put more cars on roads and people on trams, no one in government thought it important to tell the cities who’d have to cope with that.”

Pointing the finger at Johnson’s chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, the mayor adds: “Far from a planned, safety-led approach, this looked like another exercise in Cummings’s chaos theory.”

In his article, Burnham says mayors outside London should be invited onto the Cobra emergency committee, to counter what he says is a “London-centric” approach.

After Liverpool city council wrote last week to parents, saying it was unlikely to reopen schools on 1 June, Hartlepool council followed suit yesterday, saying it would not do so either. Newcastle and Gateshead councils have refused to adopt the government’s new “stay alert” message, and are telling residents to “stay at home”. Manchester is also stressing the stay-home message.

The leader of Gateshead council, Martin Gannon, told the Observer that his authority would put the safety of local people first in an area with one of the highest infection rates in the UK. “There are pockets of deprivation in this area where people are especially vulnerable to Covid-19. Life expectancy here is two years below the national average.”

He went on: “We locked down too late; this unlockdown strategy is premature. The testing capacity isn’t robust enough, neither is the tracking and tracing system, the R-rate [the virus’s reproduction rate] isn’t low enough. They’re doing this too soon; it means a second wave will happen.”

Gannon said he had been told by his public health director that the R-rate in Gateshead was around 1.1 – above the level at which exponential spread takes place.

The latest Opinium poll for the Observer shows that approval for the government over its handling of the pandemic has plummeted by nine points in the last week.

children in masks

A survey from the UK’s Office of National Statistics has reported that children are just as likely as adults to be infected with Covid-19. Photograph: Peter Nicholls/Reuters
Whereas net approval of its performance – the figure reached when the percentage who disapprove is subtracted from percentage who approve – stood at +42% on 26 March, it has now fallen to -3%.

For the first time since Opinium began tracking views on the pandemic in March, more people disapprove of the government’s handling than approve. Only 44% think the new “stay alert” message is clear. Some 56% say they are not clear who they can meet outside their household.

Yesterday, the number of people who have died from coronavirus in all settings in the UK rose by 468 to a total of 34,466. A further 3,451 people tested positive for the virus. The number of people tested for Covid-19 rose to its highest daily total of 136,486.

Controversy over schools reopening has intensified because of a lack of clear scientific evidence. Only a handful of studies have been carried out worldwide on Covid-19’s impact on children, and scientists disagree about their interpretation.

Studies from Italy, Iceland and South Korea suggest there are low rates of infectivity among under-10s compared with adults. However, the UK’s Office for National Statistics contradicted this last week: a survey of 10,000 people showed children were just as likely as adults to be infected with Covid-19, it reported.

If the government carries on in the same vein, expect to see an even greater fracturing of national unity
Andy Burnham
On the other hand, an Australian study – reported in Nature – has revealed children are rarely the first person to bring a Covid-19 infection into a home. That finding was countered by German researchers who have found amounts of virus carried by infected individuals are not significantly different between age groups.

Yesterday, after the education secretary, Gavin Williamson, led the daily Covid-19 briefing, Paul Whiteman, the general secretary of school leaders’ union NAHT, said he could not yet back the government.

“The government says its evidence indicates circumstances should be improved enough to safely admit more pupils from 1 June. However, if their tests haven’t been met, the government must follow through on its statement that wider school reopening will be paused,” he said.

Burnham writes, unless the government listens more to council leaders outside the south-east, the revolt against his plans will grow. “If the Government carries on in the same vein, expect to see an even greater fracturing of national unity,” he says.

“Different places will adopt their own messaging and policies,” he says. “Nervousness in the north about the R number will see more councils adopt their own approach on schools, as Liverpool, Gateshead and Hartlepool are doing. Arguments will increase about funding.

“If we don’t get the help we need, there’s a risk of a second spike here which will pass the infection back down the country through the Midlands to London. I’m not sure this is the kind of ‘levelling-up’ the government has in mind.”

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I really like the response. The PM seems to think he says jump, all the cities say where do we land sir? About time some people showed a bit of backbone and told the clowns that there will be no circus here.

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I really like the response. The PM seems to think he says jump, all the cities say where do we land sir? About time some people showed a bit of backbone and told the clowns that there will be no circus here.

There's another article I read earlier and can't find now which points out how London-centric the 'unlockdown' has been. If anything positive comes out of this, I hope it's that local authorities get back the power they should never have lost. They know local conditions and these one size fits all diktats from a centralised government are useless.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I like Burnham, I never used to but he's done a great job. Only liverpool could let a scouser become mayor of Manchester and end up with Steve Rotheram instead, an accent in a suit.

Burnham was never going to go for Liverpool metro mayor, he was MP for Leigh for years so he was only ever going to go for the Manchester one!

My brother got his results and they're negative. He has pneumonia though which is confusing me. What are the odds of a healthy 43 year old just getting pneumonia in the middle of a pandemic and it having nothing to do with it?

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

My brother got his results and they're negative. He has pneumonia though which is confusing me. What are the odds of a healthy 43 year old just getting pneumonia in the middle of a pandemic and it having nothing to do with it?

Worth considering there are many causes...weirdly including community-acquired pneumonia

The most common type of pneumonia is community-acquired pneumonia, which is when pneumonia affects somebody who is not already in hospital. The most common cause of community-acquired pneumonia is a bacterium called Streptococcus pneumoniae but there are many other causes. Community-acquired pneumonia is much less contagious than flu or a cold, because most people’s immune systems can kill the bacteria that causes it before they can cause an infection. Most people with community-acquired pneumonia are unlikely to give the disease to another person.  

As well as community-acquired pneumonia, other types include:

Hospital-acquired pneumonia: this is when pneumonia develops while you’re in hospital being treated for another condition or having an operation. People in intensive care on breathing machines are at most risk.

Viral pneumonia: common causes include the flu in adults and respiratory syncytial virus, particularly in children; this form of pneumonia is often contagious and can spread to affect others

Aspiration pneumonia: this is when pneumonia is caused by food going down the wrong way, or inhaling vomit, a foreign object or harmful substance. It’s fairly common in the elderly, or people who have conditions that cause swallowing difficulties or reduced level of consciousness

Fungal pneumonia: this is when pneumonia is caused by fungi. It’s rare in the UK and more likely to affect people with a weakened immune system

On 16/05/2020 at 03:44, easytoslip said:

Racing back in a few weeks hopefully. 

About Covid related deaths there's two cunts strumming guitars on the square now, they must be thinking about bringing a nice peaceful feeling to the area, better than screaming scumbags with their cans of ale and minty tracksuit bottoms though. 

I just didn't want to close my windows as its quite warm, what's with these cunts not realising that people might live around here and don't want to hear your folksy shite. 

I thought public transport was unbearable now you can't even sit at home without hearing the invasive twats, breaking down. 

97CA903C-D653-4B18-99A7-F76F4672650D.jpeg

ask yourself “what would bluto do?”

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't think there will be another lockdown. I've said since the start, it has been and always has been about herd immunity, they don't care who dies, they only care will there be horrible pictures on the BBC at 6pm of hospitals being unable to cope. When the virus ran out of control and the world lockeddown, they did too, ramped up the nightingale hospital and sat back and watched how it went. They now know they can let it run much wilder than they did before as they've barely used the nightingales and the likes of the one we were going to do here in Liverpool never even got beyond the stage of asking for volunteers as it was clear it wouldn't be needed. 

It was probably a stitch up. It's clear the.tories are trying to make him the scapegoat. 

Did he actually say that? I thought he just said 20000 would be a good outcome. 

I've been saying with this government - in fact before this government and back to the EU referendum, the messaging is directly out of the Joseph Goebbels playbook. And people just don't see how they're being played. Do as we direct you or you're letting your country down and are unpatriotic. People from this region maybe don't give a shit about being called unpatriotic, but I think the rest of the nation is completely different. Even in the devolved regions, if they're not patriotic to the UK, they normally are to their devolved region. I am astonished how easy people are to control in this day and age and how basic it is to appeal to them. 

The problem as I see it with the herd immunity approach is that the rest of the developed world is not using it, and so will not be welcoming of visitors from the UK & US for quite some time as it increases the risk of future flare ups within the local community. 
once you step out of the EU, they can just go fuck it, massive barriers on entry.

but maybe that is the kind of isolation the Brexit crew are after.

parts of Spain may become a lot more attractive to other European travellers without the Brexit brigade demanding speak English, and give me walls wallpaper paste sausages, and a copy of the daily star each morning.

16 hours ago, cloggypop said:

He doesn't seem to be very well balanced. 

One big fucking chip on his shoulder- what can you expect?

16 hours ago, Mudface said:

Heh, for every reasoned and informed interviewee, you have to have some completely unhinged nutter spouting utter nonsense. It's part of the BBC's remit.

Click bait pure and simple, what can you expect from the so called world leader in news.

16 hours ago, No2 said:

Just found out my brother was admitted to hospital in Berlin last night with pneumonia. He tested negative for Covid on Wednesday and is awaiting results from another test today.

Hope he comes though ok.

16 hours ago, TK421 said:

81XxZ3UudxL._SL1500_.jpg

I flew many of the things into a wall.

16 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Who was he supposed to be fighting?

Hope he gets well soon. 

I laughed, just on the edge and maintaining balance, but it could have gone either way.

15 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Just drove past a few betting shops on the way back from the shops. They were heaving with people smoking outside the front doors, fuck all masks and social distancing. Fucking idiots. 

Smokers are (allegedly somewhat) protected aren’t they? That’s why Farage and his yellow teethed crew of inbred ragamuffins want to break out the ale houses.

10 hours ago, Mudface said:

There's another article I read earlier and can't find now which points out how London-centric the 'unlockdown' has been. If anything positive comes out of this, I hope it's that local authorities get back the power they should never have lost. They know local conditions and these one size fits all diktats from a centralised government are useless.

Something, something Northern Powerhouse.

Gove is such a slippery fucker.

Essentially 'I'm sorry that you're upset by what I do, but that's your problem and you should be able to deal with it yourself without bringing me in to things. It's your issue that's the problem here now and I feel we should focus on how you allowed yourself to get in to this state'

Nice to see Marr giving him a bit of a grilling and not tickling his tummy as normal though.

11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I like Burnham, I never used to but he's done a great job. Only liverpool could let a scouser become mayor of Manchester and end up with Steve Rotheram instead, an accent in a suit.

I don't mind Rotherham. But his job is a bit of a waste of space. He doesn't have all the same powers as Burnham as lots sit with chippy tits. In fact this whole lord mayor, city mayor, metro mayor we have here is a fucking nonsense. Jobs for the boys.