You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

On 15/05/2020 at 02:46, easytoslip said:

There's no vaccination for flu and how long has that been around? 

As that woman from WHO said, it's most likely we'll just have to live with   albeit with better treatments. 

There is a vaccination for strains of influenza, I get it every year. Not all flus are the same, this may not be the coronavirus you are looking for.

thats why there is no vaccine for the common cold, as there are so many variations on what virus(es) cause each individual’s affliction (citation Dr Norman Swan Coronacast).

they may never find a vaccine for SARS-Cov19 but it would in effect be simpler as cold is a catch all phrase like cancer in that it is used to cover many different variants of affliction - with the caveat that one is viral, and the other is invariably a genetic mutation (citation Kat Arney - herding Hemingway’s cats).

On 15/05/2020 at 08:45, Sugar Ape said:

This country is just completely fucked up. 

1733C4A4-D3BE-4D23-AB13-745CC30DDA09.jpeg

Who is as that horrible fuck from the heil who asked the question at the end of the SAGE independent press conference this week? I would quite happily mash his face with a shovel the  Bitter, twisted little shitehawk - at what point do these people look themselves in the eye and say you did well there?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Who is as that horrible fuck from the heil who asked the question at the end of the SAGE independent press conference this week? I would quite happily mash his face with a shovel the  Bitter, twisted little shitehawk - at what point do these people look themselves in the eye and say you did well there?

In the interests of balance, I’ve carried out a quick poll amongst my Facebook network to see how many agree with the sentiments of this article.

So far, nobody has replied although I did get twenty seven likes for the photo I posted, three hours later, of my dog snoozing on the sofa. 

17 hours ago, Mudface said:

It's moronic. Two to three more weeks and we could have finally got on top of this. Now after VE Day and Johnson's ridiculous speech on sunday, there'll likely have to be another substantial lockdown which ends up costing much more. False economies yet again from these idiots.

I don't think there will be another lockdown. I've said since the start, it has been and always has been about herd immunity, they don't care who dies, they only care will there be horrible pictures on the BBC at 6pm of hospitals being unable to cope. When the virus ran out of control and the world lockeddown, they did too, ramped up the nightingale hospital and sat back and watched how it went. They now know they can let it run much wilder than they did before as they've barely used the nightingales and the likes of the one we were going to do here in Liverpool never even got beyond the stage of asking for volunteers as it was clear it wouldn't be needed. 

17 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Hancock in the daily presser is patting the government's back for getting the R number down. 

I'm guessing that he hasn't been told the news re: the R number. 

Amateur hour, again. 

It was probably a stitch up. It's clear the.tories are trying to make him the scapegoat. 

11 hours ago, TK421 said:

I lost faith in modelling when Neil Ferguson said there would be 20,000 deaths in total.

Did he actually say that? I thought he just said 20000 would be a good outcome. 

33 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

A culture that criticises teachers and scientists but never the supreme leader. Where have we seen that before?

I've been saying with this government - in fact before this government and back to the EU referendum, the messaging is directly out of the Joseph Goebbels playbook. And people just don't see how they're being played. Do as we direct you or you're letting your country down and are unpatriotic. People from this region maybe don't give a shit about being called unpatriotic, but I think the rest of the nation is completely different. Even in the devolved regions, if they're not patriotic to the UK, they normally are to their devolved region. I am astonished how easy people are to control in this day and age and how basic it is to appeal to them. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Always pisses me off when people call non medical doctors, Dr.

I may have made this up but isn't the reason this happens because the term 'doctor' in relation to medicine came after non-medical uses? Therefore it's historically been correct?

1 minute ago, Karl_b said:

I may have made this up but isn't the reason this happens because the term 'doctor' in relation to medicine came after non-medical uses? Therefore it's historically been correct?

Not sure, but I was watching clear and present danger and they kept calling him Dr Ryan even though he's a historian or something. Fucking history of naval warfare. "Get Dr Ryan a comfortable chair and some coffee."

8 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

My missus is doing some gardening in her shorts, with a VPL, and her dad is out there helping her do the gardening.

I'm considering a danger wank but this is uncharted territory.

Wanking off your father-in-law is pretty dangerous I'd say.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Always pisses me off when people call non medical doctors, Dr.

Me too, we should have a much cooler honorific seeing as we've actually done a PhD and research rather than just a couple of degrees. 

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

Yep, those medical pricks call themselves 'Doctor' whether or not they actually have a doctoral-level degree.

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Me too, we should have a much cooler honorific seeing as we've actually done a PhD and research rather than just a couple of degrees. 

Yep, those medical pricks call themselves 'Doctor' whether or not they actually have a doctoral-level degree.

Doctor_jones-1.jpg

25 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

My missus is doing some gardening in her shorts, with a VPL, and her dad is out there helping her do the gardening.

I'm considering a danger wank but this is uncharted territory.

Have they got Coronavirus, is that the danger?

Source 1

image.png.8c78241e0d457438b1d0b434de763ccd.png

Question 1

With reference to source 1, explain why English teachers might have less confidence in their government's call for pupils to return to schools compared with their Danish counterparts.

• Upvote 2

Former snooker player, Peter Ebdon, has just gone full David Icke on 5 Live. Mark Chapman was clearly gobsmacked and lost for words at one point. He was saying the current situation is the biggest psychological operation in history, that if people knew the truth they’d go back to work next week, and dismissing social distancing. He also helpfully provided a list of ‘independent researchers’ to watch or read on the net. I half expected him to start banging on about 5G masts....

From about 12.15pm onwards if you can find the programme.

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Did he actually say that? I thought he just said 20000 would be a good outcome.

Patrick Vallance is the one who said that it would be a good outcome, at the daily briefing.

Ferguson went further and said that 20k would be the upper limit, but that the final toll could be a lot less.  He predicted that there would be between 7k and 20k deaths.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Patrick Vallance is the one who said that it would be a good outcome, at the daily briefing.

Ferguson went further and said that 20k would be the upper limit, but that the final toll could be a lot less.  He predicted that there would be between 7k and 20k deaths.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/

To be fair they've not quoted him there. But I know you've followed him and they're probably are out there and the new scientist isn't exactly the mail. 

14 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Former snooker player, Peter Ebdon, has just gone full David Icke on 5 Live. Mark Chapman was clearly gobsmacked and lost for words at one point. He was saying the current situation is the biggest psychological operation in history, that if people knew the truth they’d go back to work next week, and dismissing social distancing. He also helpfully provided a list of ‘independent researchers’ to watch or read on the net. I half expected him to start banging on about 5G masts....

From about 12.15pm onwards if you can find the programme.

So why did the BBC decide to invite him on and give him a voice? You only have to look at his Twitter account to see his views

https://mobile.twitter.com/pdebdon

He's gone from anti vaccination Brexiteer to full on far right conspiracy loon and someone at the BBC has decided that it's time he had a wider audience. 

Just now, cloggypop said:

So why did the BBC decide to invite him on and give him a voice? You only have to look at his Twitter account to see his views

https://mobile.twitter.com/pdebdon

He's gone from anti vaccination Brexiteer to full on conspiracy loon and someone at the BBC has decided that it's time he had a wider audience. 

'Balance'.