You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Spot the odd one out.  Very easy to fix - just make them compulsory.  But Boris won't take such a simple measure, because he wants as many people to die as possible. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52656090

Uber drivers and passengers in most countries will have to wear face masks from next week as the ride-hailing firm toughens its coronavirus policy.

The new rule takes effect on Monday.

It applies to services in the US, Canada, Mexico, India and most of Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa.

But the UK is not on the list, following government guidance which advises but does not require people to wear face coverings in confined spaces.

Looks like New Zealand is going back to normal, lucky bastards. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52658550

I guess they won't be having any international visitors for a while though. Does anyone know if the virus could simply reappear in NZ even though they have eradicated transmission? A bit like the flu, could it crop up again even if nobody is contagious and they don't allow anyone in from abroad? 

5 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

GMB TV just reported that a Swiss company have developed an antibody test that's 100% accurate to tell if anyone has had the virus or not.

Bit of a coincidence, isn't it? The country is ordered back to work and the very next day Public Health England say there's a 100% antibody test.  

I remain skeptical of this. Where is the report certifying that it's 100%? Keir Starmer should insist that this is published to ensure transparency and to enable the methodology to be scrutinised. 

Matt Hancock has fucked up before with antibody tests.  I note that none of these tests have been ordered by the UK government yet (the Guardian reports).  If they are 100%, what is the delay for?  I would not be surprised one bit if reports of false positives emerge once this test is rolled out for widespread use, in fact I think it's highly probable. 

40 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I guess they won't be having any international visitors for a while though. Does anyone know if the virus could simply reappear in NZ even though they have eradicated transmission? A bit like the flu, could it crop up again even if nobody is contagious and they don't allow anyone in from abroad? 

No, it cant just magic itself into people?

On another tangent, all this searching for a cure is brilliant, not just for c19, but also SO many cures are found by accident when trying to find something unrelated.  We may be on the verge of staggering discoveries in vaccines and treatments as a by-product of a search for a c19 cure.

PS, the antibody test will be very useful.  If you have had it before and not known about it, or had very mild symptoms, the chances are that if you catch it again you will experience the same symptoms.  I've not seen anything conclusive about people catching it harder.  Dybala apparently had it 4 times.

8 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I've not seen anything conclusive about people catching it harder.  Dybala apparently had it 4 times.

Pretty sure they are thinking you do not "catch" it multiple times - it is a relapse as the body never completely killed it off.

9 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

PS, the antibody test will be very useful.  If you have had it before and not known about it, or had very mild symptoms, the chances are that if you catch it again you will experience the same symptoms.  I've not seen anything conclusive about people catching it harder.  Dybala apparently had it 4 times.

It'll be as useful as it is accurate. Public Health England have lied before. Dr Jenny Harries said that Cheltenham was safe to go ahead, for example. She also said the UK government was an "international exemplar of preparedness" when it came to coronavirus.  She has a liberal relationship with the truth, so I'm taking reports of 100% accuracy with a huge pinch of salt. Especially at a time when there is a big push to get people back to work and get the economy going again. 

• Upvote 1

We've had loads of these reports in the last few months with claims of inventing an instant viral test/antibody test/vaccine/cure only for it to turn out to be a load of shite. 

There's companies looking to profit from this, if a lab claims they have something that others don't then cash gets thrown at them, share prices go up etc, once they've got the money and no product they blame it on China giving them bad equipment and then they disappear like a fart in the wind. 

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

Nothing to do with luck, they elected competent leadership, calling it luck gives the tories an easy excuse.

"New Zealand got lucky, not our fault that we were so unlucky, nothing we could have done, all down to chance and luck." 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

*switches off wifi*

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-vaccine-reasons-to-be-optimistic-137209

Why don’t we have a vaccine against other human coronaviruses? The emergence of Sars and Mers, in 2002 and 2012 respectively, were either quashed relatively quickly or affected small numbers of people. Despite the interest from keen virologists, there was no economic incentive to develop a vaccine for these diseases as they posed a small threat at the time. Virologists with an interest in coronaviruses were struggling to secure funding for their research.

In contrast, COVID-19 has caused huge disruption around the world. As a result, at least 90 vaccines are under development, with some already in human trials.

Here are some reasons to be optimistic. One, this virus can be cured. Unlike some viruses such as HIV that embed their genome in our own and make fresh copies of themselves after immune elimination, we know that SARS-CoV-2 is unable to persist in this way.

Two, most infected patients develop antibodies and there is evidence of virus-specific T cell responses. Although we don’t know if these responses are protective yet, these are precisely the responses that can lead to immunological memory, the cornerstone of vaccination. Vaccine products will be refined and enriched to induce more potent immune responses than natural infection.

Three, coronaviruses mutate slower than viruses such as influenza, and we know from Sars and Mers that antibodies can persist for at least one to two years following recovery. This is good news for an effective vaccine that may not require updating for quite some time.

There are more reasons to be upbeat. Scientists are testing several approaches so there is a higher probability of success, and pharmaceutical companies have been engaged early, scaling up production and working out logistics for distribution even before there is evidence the vaccine will work. This is worth the investment because resources can be quickly repurposed for the most promising vaccines following the first clinical trials.

A coronavirus vaccine is within our reach, and it is our best hope to stem transmission and generate herd immunity to protect the most vulnerable. Taking away its hosts for replication, we can eradicate this virus from the human population just as vaccination previously eradicated smallpox.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TK421 said:

Bit of a coincidence, isn't it? The country is ordered back to work and the very next day Public Health England say there's a 100% antibody test.  

I remain skeptical of this. Where is the report certifying that it's 100%? Keir Starmer should insist that this is published to ensure transparency and to enable the methodology to be scrutinised. 

Matt Hancock has fucked up before with antibody tests.  I note that none of these tests have been ordered by the UK government yet (the Guardian reports).  If they are 100%, what is the delay for?  I would not be surprised one bit if reports of false positives emerge once this test is rolled out for widespread use, in fact I think it's highly probable. 

Is it not possible that it's part of a co-ordinated plan of action?

4 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Is it not possible that it's part of a co-ordinated plan of action?

I suppose it is, yes.  It's very convenient timing, though. The country is ordered back to work and the very next day every media outlet is pushing a story about an antibody test that's 100% accurate.  Fancy that. 

The government didn't make a massive statement telling everyone to stay the fuck in running up to it and have a police clampdown on VE day because they wanted people out in the streets mingling. They have the green trim on the daily briefings now instead of Red because they want people to take it upon themselves to go back to normal and get out there. They wanted a mixed set of messages about returning to work on Monday so people started heading in. They wanted the people to make the decision they have manipulated on them because they want the people to take the blame. 

VE day you had cunts having street parties, doing congas en masse. Where were the police? 4 weeks ago people were getting arrested and fined for having a house party. Its all a horrible masterplan. No chance the government takes any blame for this. And if/when a second wave its and hammers this country worse than 6 weeks ago, they will look the people in the eye on the daily briefing and bollock the people for not listening to them. 

"Yeah but Boris wants to get Brexit done, He's such a lovely man, look he has just had a baby after that awful illness, he has had it so hard the poor soul, Jeremy Corbyn is in the IRA" 

• Upvote 4