You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

The problem for New Zealand and the alike is that they have no herd immunity whatsoever. We live in a global society, so unless they shut the doors until a virus is delivered, then they're going to have to live in a state of highg alert. 

Or...they quarantine people coming into the country.  No big deal.  

Or...they test people prior to flying.

The risk and the solutions actually starts to lie with the airlines, they won't have staff to run the aircraft if they are worried about catching it.  

New Zealand will not give a shit about the 'global society' aspect of this.  They aren't Magaluf, they existed for years without a strong tourism sector and they will shift the economy to keep their citizens safe.  Everyone else can do the herd immunity thing and thin their own populations out, and when they're done with killing themselves in 6 months, then NZ will let people back in.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

You'll get no argument from me there. I'm under absolutely no illusions that the current government gives a shit whether I'm alive or dead, but it was always thus, be it their approach to benefits or poverty or any other number of issues.

But in terms of this virus. Governments have had to take extraordinary measures to bring the peak down so it wouldn't overwhelm health systems, which they've largely achieved. But the notion among many seems to be that this can or should remain in place until 'some time' when it's 'safe'. With little or no discussion about the fact this is a virus and it's gonna be around for a while, regardless. 

Going back to work should involve strict protocol, guidance for employers to minimise risk and compulsory face masks.  It should be done in a piecemeal fashion so that infections can be carefully monitored and new infections should all be contact traced to break the chain of transmission. 

Going on TV on a Sunday night and ordering the nation back to work with a notice period of one day is not how it should be done, and will cause thousands of preventable deaths.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I wonder if the new motto here of stay alert has been ripped from New Zealand?

I've just been looking at a New Zealand news site and they have Alert levels all over the place. Boris Johnson has ripped their strategy off hoping that what works there, will work here.

He's a fucking fraudster.

New Zealand's plan...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12331033

My relatives alive and/or not having to die alone and in pain with no treatment.  With their murders being whitewashed from history,  the UK goverment has always been great at this. 

So I guess I'd have to stump for new Zealands over the UK. 

Dominic Raab just fell into an exquisitely set trap by @MishalHusain. He effectively admitted that the go-to-work guidance is divided on class lines and that working class people will be disproportionally at risk. He couldn’t row back from the admission.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52612449

Asked about that advice on BBC Breakfast on Monday, Mr Raab said: "So we've said that as long as you go out of home, for the park, for exercise, whatever it may be, you can go with members of your own household.

"If you're out in the park and you're 2m apart... and use some common sense and you socially-distance, you can meet up with other people."

Asked if someone could meet more than two people at different times, for example their mother in the morning and father in the afternoon, Mr Raab said: "Outside in the outdoors, staying 2m apart, yes."

However, the UK government put out a clarification saying people can only meet one person outside at a time - not two people, such as both parents, at the same time.

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I wonder if the new motto here of stay alert has been ripped from New Zealand?

I've just been looking at a New Zealand news site and they have Alert levels all over the place. Boris Johnson has ripped their strategy off hoping that what works there, will work here.

He's a fucking fraudster.

New Zealand's plan...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12331033

To be fair we've been following Dominic Cummings plan for 3 months and it hasn't got us very far. Why not look at the map of the world, pick a random country that still has the Union flag within it's own flag and pinch their policy. It can't go much worse can it? 

After looking on twitter for a few minutes I found this, (it's from the same person who was linked on the last page too.) We really do have one of the most stupid fucking governments on the planet.

Corbyn would be a mass-murdering Stalin-type if he'd been responsible for this, and of course he'd also be a Hitler-type and we'd have in-depth reports of how Jewish people in the UK haven't felt so unsafe since Nazi Germany and how do we get this genocidal PM out of office, we were warned about this and so on. It's Boris though so there's no need for any of that, and maybe get back to work instead if you can.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Herd immunity is a very stupid idea. Not having 80% of your population infected and a great proportion die is not a bad thing.

Hardly anyone is going to be travelling anywhere, but the people who will be allowed are those from countries with no infection. 

Certainly no Brits will be welcome in any countries any time soon. You will basically be British beef during mad cow disease.

I’m not sure people understand the global response to CJD, like we can’t give blood over here.

Both NZ and Australia said they looked (as usual) to the UK and US for a lead on the pandemic response, and quickly realised it would be far better to

look to Asia.

from the outside the uk is a dwindling power, I’m sure Australia will continue as US’ Gurkhas for a few more decades yet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1259722204893380609

Policing Covid 19 has become impossible after today. My colleagues cannot Engage, Explain, Encourage or Enforce such woolly rules. This is now down to the public to Police itself. Please let’s avoid a second spike.

If I click on those Haggis tweet video clips they go blank instead of playing, have to click through to twitter instead. Kind of fitting that happens in our current situation though, it looks almost like it's been erased to "stop the spread" of someone having a go at our dear government.

17 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Parts of Spain have gone back into full lockdown.

image.png

I'm not sure what this means? Even in English...

does not pass the exam and continues in phase 0

In the province of Alicante only to phase 1 the sanitary departments of Alcoy (Alicante), Dénia (Alicante), Elda (Alicante), Orihuela (Alicante) and Torrevieja (Alicante)

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

What this Twitter user dosnt realise is the graph is really not that fucking hard to understand. Its self explanatory just look at the picture.

The guy on the bike is obviously evil knevil and hes showing us how to overcome the 'evil' of the peak. Now he is achieving this life opens up for him, he sees the trees and hears the tweeting of the birds and at the end of his journey is a hot meal and a pint of john Smith's to thank him for sticking to the road. 

Dont know what them two kids running in the red circle are doing though.

And then 

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

Going back to work should involve strict protocol, guidance for employers to minimise risk and compulsory face masks.  It should be done in a piecemeal fashion so that infections can be carefully monitored and new infections should all be contact traced to break the chain of transmission. 

Going on TV on a Sunday night and ordering the nation back to work with a notice period of one day is not how it should be done, and will cause thousands of preventable deaths.  

It's like the end of this clip 

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Oh dear, from a few hours ago, the tories at a whopping 50% in the latest poll. Labour at 31%

Send me a loaded gun.

Zzzzzz.

Waste of fucking time measuring this.  However they measure it.  If they even measure it. 

A GE will see the Tories obliterated. No Lib Dems seem to exist anymore, even the Greens have gone quiet.

Piers Morgan would rip the Tories apart in the run-up to a GE, as would lots of other media outlets. 

And this is now, let alone after a 2nd peak and the end of furlough payments.

Not that it matters, this government will likely outlaw elections, or introduce e-voting and commit electoral fraud on a mass scale.  

Be interesting to see what happens in the USA with regard to this year's election.  Biden is ahead by about 9%, which is substantial, so I can foresee Trump cancelling the election.

10 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Biden is ahead by about 9%, which is substantial, so I can foresee Trump cancelling the election.

Fucking hell! I thought he was well behind, not checked in on polling for ages. That shows just how bad Trump is, when he is getting smashed in the polls by a demented sex offender!