You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

It's a good plan but presumably you'd have to quarantine everyone who enters the country for the foreseeable too. 

I've not read a huge amount about viruses but I've not seen anything around lockdown ever bringing one to its knees. They tend to either end with a vaccine (none has ever been found for a coronavirus) or when they mutate and get shitter and essentially fizzle out, or through herd immunity like the spanish flu where, after 18 months, everyone had either died of it or recovered and established an immunity. 

What we're doing now are mitigation measures, not a solution or a way to get rid of the virus, but I don't think that has been communicated properly, hence people saying they're not going to go about their everyday business until 'the pandemic is over'? 

Nah, you can kill off the virus if it doesn’t have anyone to infect. New Zealand are nearly there, some of the states in Australia are too, where they haven’t had any cases at all for two weeks. Greece is also going well, as are other countries.

After that you need to track and trace and shutdown any detected outbreak. So that bit is the learning to live with it.

The UK is fucked though, the virus was allowed to get everywhere, so it’s going to be nigh on impossible to manage.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jose Jones said:

Nah, you can kill off the virus if it doesn’t have anyone to infect. New Zealand are nearly there, some of the states in Australia are too, where they haven’t had any cases at all for two weeks. Greece is also going well, as are other countries.

After that you need to track and trace and shutdown any detected outbreak. So that bit is the learning to live with it.

The UK is fucked though, the virus was allowed to get everywhere, so it’s going to be nigh on impossible to manage.

The problem for New Zealand and the alike is that they have no herd immunity whatsoever. We live in a global society, so unless they shut the doors until a virus is delivered, then they're going to have to live in a state of highg alert. 

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

When Henry VIII was funding various wars he nicked all the gold from wealthy churches and monasteries and melted down his own gold plates and dishes to turn into coins to pay for food for the army.

Pretty sure he taxed the shit out of the working man too, like, but the point remains.

I reckon people might be happier to go to work if all the rich cunts actually did their bit to put some funds into the economy in the meantime.

In their defence its not easy to melt down an investment company in Panama.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spy Bee said:

The problem for New Zealand and the alike is that they have no herd immunity whatsoever. We live in a global society, so unless they shut the doors until a virus is delivered, then they're going to have to live in a state of highg alert. 

Herd immunity is a very stupid idea. Not having 80% of your population infected and a great proportion die is not a bad thing.

Hardly anyone is going to be travelling anywhere, but the people who will be allowed are those from countries with no infection. 

Certainly no Brits will be welcome in any countries any time soon. You will basically be British beef during mad cow disease.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

This virus is picking off people on benefits, the retired, those in social care, and those who will later or are already taking up a lot of NHS time for co-morbidities.

It's remarkable how this virus is like a precision air-strike on people who cost us the most to look after and support.

You couldn't design a virus, in a Wuhan lab, that could thin out the population and reduce the long-term benefits burden of society like this thing has. 

And why does Trump go on about it just 'vanishing' all of a sudden?  I know he's mental, but he's said this a few times now and I'm starting to wonder why he's sticking to that line.  I won't go down the 5G rabbit hole, but christ almighty the government jumped very quickly on that rumour and basically made it an offence to even talk about it. 

If you maintain the R rate below zero, the virus will eventually die out. Maintaining it below zero is the challenge with a virus that is as infectious as this one. 

36 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The government should of been proactive they had enough warning and test for Christ sake our testing has been beyond a joke. All we can do is reduce risk. Personally I'd go back to work right now, id take the personal risk and still social distance as much as possible, I don't live with anybody at risk so it's easier for me.

Social distancing is not just about you though. The more we mix with people, the more we will push up the R rate, once we push up the R rate over 1 we then get exponential growth. This impacts everybody and it is a selfish notion for you to take that risk, because you are taking the risk not just for yourself, but for everyone. 

Covid-19-Transmission-graphic-01.gif

20 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

They are at a point where they can track and trace the virus with relative ease. That’s where all countries aspire to be, no?

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's a good plan but presumably you'd have to quarantine everyone who enters the country for the foreseeable too. 

I've not read a huge amount about viruses but I've not seen anything around lockdown ever bringing one to its knees. They tend to either end with a vaccine (none has ever been found for a coronavirus) or when they mutate and get shitter and essentially fizzle out, or through herd immunity like the spanish flu where, after 18 months, everyone had either died of it or recovered and established an immunity. 

What we're doing now are mitigation measures, not a solution or a way to get rid of the virus, but I don't think that has been communicated properly, hence people saying they're not going to go about their everyday business until 'the pandemic is over'? 

Absolutely poor communication accounts for a misguided belief that this will all be over some time soon, it won't without a vaccine or the virus dying off. 

However they are not the only two options, effective treatment is another and I think the 8-16 weeks spent trying to work out and find new treatments is not long enough to say "but how long do you give it?".  Governments can make the shutdown work longer than they currently intend to, the problem is it means the right wing tax dodging system they favour would have to change.  So now we're in a situation where 6 weeks after the start of lockdown and the virus nowhere near under control they've changed the message so people feel they should go back to work with yet more lives being sacrificed, but to our UK government it's, without a second thought, a price worth paying to save "the system". 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

They are at a point where they can track and trace the virus with relative ease. That’s where all countries aspire to be, no?

All I am saying is that they will need to remain in a state of absolute high alert. It seems this is only going away through herd immunity of one kind of another in the long term.

29 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

As opposed to the problem for the UK/US/Italy and the like is they have no proven herd immunity whatsoever. We also have a virus running amok, hard to know who has it until they die or get tested with an unreliable and difficult to obtain test and already have just over 30,000 dead with likely more to follow. We also live in the same global society so unless they also shut the doors until a vaccine is delivered, then they're also going to have to live in a state of highg(sic) alert.

The question then is : Would you rather have New Zealand's problem or the UK's problems?

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

As opposed to the problem for the UK/US/Italy and the like is they have no proven herd immunity whatsoever. We also have a virus running amok, hard to know who has it until they die or get tested with an unreliable and difficult to obtain test and already have just over 30,000 dead with likely more to follow. We also live in the same global society so unless they also shut the doors until a virus is delivered, then they're also going to have to live in a state of highg(sic) alert.

The question then is : Would you rather have New Zealand's problem or the UK's problems?

Yeah, New Zealand's for sure.

51 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

41 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Jesus, fair play to him. 

Piers Morgan is utter scum.  Phone hacking, racist enabling filth.  He's getting a bit of kudos for asking the questions all journalists should ask if given the opportunity, and that's fine.  But as with many other examples, this is not an example of good journalism, but of how utterly inept the Tory party is. In a major pandemic they can't even get the simple things right. 

People need to stop repeating the lie that's there's just over 30 thousand dead.   It's nearly twice that, over 55 thousand. 

Hospitals haven't struggled cause of cold blooded murder in care homes. 

A sickening fiasco that the goverment are going to get away with cause everyone is just going to keep repeating the party line.   

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Grinch said:

People need to stop repeating the lie that's there's just over 30 thousand dead.   It's nearly twice that, over 55 thousand. 

Hospitals haven't struggled cause of cold blooded murder in care homes. 

A sickening fiasco that the goverment are going to get away with cause everyone is just going to keep repeating the party line.   

As opposed to the problem for the UK/US/Italy and the like is they have no proven herd immunity whatsoever. We also have a virus running amok, hard to know who has it until they die or get tested with an unreliable and difficult to obtain test and already have just over 55,000 (stats provided by @Grinch on a football forum) dead with likely more to follow. We also live in the same global society so unless they also shut the doors until a virus is delivered, then they're also going to have to live in a state of highg(sic) alert.

40 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I'd take their "high state of alert" over our situation.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

I'd take their "high state of alert" over our situation.

I wonder if the new motto here of stay alert has been ripped from New Zealand?

I've just been looking at a New Zealand news site and they have Alert levels all over the place. Boris Johnson has ripped their strategy off hoping that what works there, will work here.

He's a fucking fraudster.

New Zealand's plan...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12331033

What this Twitter user dosnt realise is the graph is really not that fucking hard to understand. Its self explanatory just look at the picture.

The guy on the bike is obviously evil knevil and hes showing us how to overcome the 'evil' of the peak. Now he is achieving this life opens up for him, he sees the trees and hears the tweeting of the birds and at the end of his journey is a hot meal and a pint of john Smith's to thank him for sticking to the road. 

Dont know what them two kids running in the red circle are doing though.

Just been to the local Home & Bargain to grab a loaf. 

Fuck me. What a difference a day makes. It appears that you can't catch the virus in their stores, judging by the behaviour I've just witnessed from some of their customers. 

I wonder if it's a coincidence that some people have suddenly appeared to no longer give a shit just hours after the blonde buffoon addressed the nation?