You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

35 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Character actress.

In later life a lesbian who just doesn’t give a fuck and has found herself in scrapes.

Imagine your filthy, booze hound aunt with a Mensa intellect and then time’s it by a +100 factor of could not care less what middle England thinks. 

I love her as well.

Old readers will remember her as the voice of the rabbit in the Cadbury’s caramel ad. 

• Upvote 1

I've just found out that a workmate and fellow union rep has died today due to Covid 19. 32 years old, left a wife and 3 kids, the youngest turned 3 yesterday!

He had underlying health conditions but I still can't believe it!

Rest in peace Ali mate, I'll miss us ribbing each other about United and Liverpool!

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Jesus, that's awful...

It is, myself and another rep done a home visit last year when he was on long term sick. Met his wife and his little girl. His wife is lovely, totally devoted to him and the kids, his little one is a sweetheart, she was scared shitless of me bless her (can't blame her for that), and now they've lost him!

Just shit, awful fucking shit! Work won't be the same!

On 09/05/2020 at 11:51, skaro said:

Fair enough, Cev.

Permission to be childish occasionally though, please.

The governments have done a reasonable job down here, yes, but the 3 stage response that 8 States and Territories can implement at different times and stages to suit themselves fuels my particular hatred of our being comfortably the most over-governed country on earth (1 in 30 people is a public servant).

I don't like ScoMo much, and I particularly dislike Dan Andrews.

Personally, I think he is grand-standing a bit, pandering to some unions who are happy to keep their feet up and playing fuck-you politics with the Federal Government.

Yeah, he - like ScoMo - has done a reasonable job, but I think he's been a bolshy smug cunt about it, and I don't like the way he's communicated with us throughout the crisis.  

Still, that's democracy I guess, and you reap what you sow at the ballot box.  Or not.

And I'm just one smug cunt with a questionable opinion most times myself, I guess.  

footnote: I was approached by Andrews' Labor ad agency a few years back to write ads on the Federal election campaign that Turnbull ended up winning. They asked whether I'd work 24/7 for 6 weeks during the campaign, and whether it was OK if they didn't pay me until some time after the election (with some vague mention of a "bonus"). They obviously didn't like my response to those fairly one-sided financial terms, because I never heard from them again.

Haha fuck off John, no rules on the GF (except for the exceptions that prove the rules).
I’m not policing anyone being childish or a clown, my own post history would preclude it due to The amount of times I’ve made an arse of myself.

WRT overgovenment, I’m not too disheartened by it, there are checks and balances needed - I prefer it to under governed. 
I would rather see people in public sector work than on the dole.

until we get to a point of universal basic income, and automation kicks in big time.

i finally signed up to the ALP as a member a few weeks back, time to get a bit more involved in what’s going on.

ive give politics a fairly wide berth as long as we’ve been over here, now think it’s time to get involved. Was looking between the greens and labour (and also the Fabian society initially, but that seems a bit too conceptual rather than actual politics). Came down on labour as I’m a union man (which for a contractor may be someWhat bizarre), but I need to know more about what’s going on locally and nationally and the last 6 months have highlighted that.

asking someone to work for gratis is a bit rich unless you are a

member or otherwise engaged formally with the party.

19 hours ago, Section_31 said:

This is the thing though, the virus can't be stopped, that doesn't make it a world ending scenario, it just means we have to learn to live with it for the time being the way we would with any other virus, and have done for centuries.

The whole message of lockdown has been lost IMO. It's not about stopping people getting sick, it's about stopping them all getting sick in the same week and hospitals having to turn folks away.

A lot don't seem to get that though, they seem under the impression the plan is to stay indoors as much as possible, indefinitely, until..something. And that if you're not down with that plan it's because you prefer money to people. 

The lockdown essentially was the tool used to prevent hospitals being overrun though was it? It was the decision to let people die in care homes, to request people with relatives in care homes sign DNR forms for their relatives.

the lockdown to flatten the curve has been something of a failure bearing this in mind. A bit like the option to start quarantined arrivals for overseas visitors.

so will there be a reduced number of

people getting sick? Difficult to say. But the death toll is already far greater than others who implemented sterner measures much earlier, and what was the rational for this if it wasn’t financially motivated?

8 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Fiat currency is man made and could in fact be generated as necessary whereas a life once spent cannot be regenerated, as such should not the global response to Covid-19 have been overwhelmingly to preserve life not the economy.

My question for pfeffel. I have a sneaky feeling it wont get selected. Probs cos its a shit lefty question from the northwest.

Cheers for the link anyway.