You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Not the clearest message I’ve ever heard. Feels like he’s saying something with vague future promises because he has to, not because he has something significant to say.

It’s going to be a fuck up - I hope Starmer takes him to the cleaners on details tomorrow

8 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The bit about the quarantine of air passengers was weird. It seemed like he was suggesting that he couldn't do it any earlier because the general public weren't social distancing. Whereas, the reality of it appears to be that it was just something overlooked by the government. 

I think when it's replicating at a rate well above 1 inside the country, a few infections coming in from outside becomes largely irrelevant. The horse has bolted.

If we get below 1, and our numbers continue to fall, it becomes a bigger priority, relatively speaking.

6 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The bit about the quarantine of air passengers was weird. It seemed like he was suggesting that he couldn't do it any earlier because the general public weren't social distancing. Whereas, the reality of it appears to be that it was just something overlooked by the government. 

Its fucking ridiculous.  One of the first steps needed was grounding of flights. 

They're now saying we can go back to work but can't see our family.  How can anyone expect people to not go see their loved ones for much longer, whilst we watch a government fail to take the most basis of steps and urge us to endanger ourselves to make money? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

That might just be enough to get rid of the amount of weight I've put on over the last 6 weeks. 

Careful now, it sounds like you're suggesting that lockdown is causing health problems rather than solving them...

• Downvote 1

The future stuff was reasonably vague as it had to be as so much is dependent on this little 3 week experiment of going back to work. I thought it was reasonably clear what's changing though.

They're still cunts like. And I don't agree with almost anything they're doing. But I'm not left wondering what I'm supposed to do versus last week.

Starmer rightly questioning the immediacy of the get back to work tomorrow message. With the caveat that people don't use public transport "if possible."

If people live miles away from their place of work, don't drive and it's arduous for them to have to walk an hour or two to work (and then back) then what happens there? 

I don't fancy the employees chances of convincing their employee that they can't get to work easily, on foot. Their employee is simply going to tell them to find a way to get in, or lose their job. Which will mean there'll be loads of people getting on trains from tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Starmer rightly questioning the immediacy of the get back to work tomorrow message. With the caveat that people don't use public transport "if possible."

If people live miles away from their place of work, don't drive and it's arduous for them to have to walk an hour or two to work (and then back) then what happens there? 

I don't fancy the employees chances of convincing their employee that they can't get to work easily, on foot. Their employee is simply going to tell them to find a way to get in, or lose their job. Which will mean there'll be loads of people getting on trains from tomorrow. 

Stay alert though 

The country is still in lockdown but people who can not work from home are now encouraged to return to work with 12 hours notice. Just don't use public transport.

This has clearly been well thought through by a man who knows exactly how to get things done.