You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Actually, what are you talking about?

I have linked socioeconomic factors specifically to the greater numbers of minority deaths where ever minorities belong to economically disadvantaged groups, in a number of posts. This seems perfectly logical to me.

What I don't see how did they manage to remove these factors so precisely from the equation, when they do not know the exact make-up of factors among the death, to prove they are still more vulnerable.

And the main issue, what is society supposed to do with this in the middle of an epidemic?  Protect the over 70s, but protect some even more?  Send even more women to the frontlines? Send more white women? What?

Oh ok. I generally don't read your stream of consciousness nonsense in this thread, so that's on me. Thought you were being mocking with your "racist virus" line. 

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Oh ok. I generally don't read your stream of consciousness nonsense in this thread, so that's on me. Thought you were being mocking with your "racist virus" line. 

I don't really care what posts you read, however, if you bother replying, it would be common courtesy to at least make an effort towards basic understanding and context.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Could be, yes. It's annoying that they're still not addressing the fact that men are about 1.7 times more likely to die from CV-19 as women though, which very probably is genetically related (2 X chromosomes rather than XY). It's a good idea to warn particularly susceptible groups so they can take extra care, but that doesn't seem to be extended to men.

So is Katlyn Jenner fucked or immune?

I think the numbers will inevitably shoot right up if there's anything other than a minimal loosening of the restrictions. 

Some people are either too stupid, under informed or stubborn to stick to what they've been doing once they hear that there's been a bit of a loosening. The "freedom" themed headlines in the press won't help either. I think it's going to be awful in the next few weeks. I was out earlier to get a few bits and there seemed to be a change in people's attitudes already. Nobody really making efforts to space out. Families taking up the whole width of the pavement making social distancing practically impossible for anybody who didn't want to walk in the road. People leaning in front of others to get to the milk etc. 

These people might be trying their best in a rather unfamiliar situation. But, they're not doing it properly. I fear that when they get a message of a degree of relaxation passed on to them, then they'll just act as before and that any social distancing measures they've followed will be promptly put on the back burner. 

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think the numbers will inevitably shoot right up if there's anything other than a minimal loosening of the restrictions. 

Some people are either too stupid, under informed or stubborn to stick to what they've been doing once they hear that there's been a bit of a loosening. The "freedom" themed headlines in the press won't help either. I think it's going to be awful in the next few weeks. I was out earlier to get a few bits and there seemed to be a change in people's attitudes already. Nobody really making efforts to space out. Families taking up the whole width of the pavement making social distancing practically impossible for anybody who didn't want to walk in the road. People leaning in front of others to get to the milk etc. 

These people might be trying their best in a rather unfamiliar situation. But, they're not doing it properly. I fear that when they get a message of a degree of relaxation passed on to them, then they'll just act as before and that any social distancing measures they've followed will be promptly put on the back burner. 

Considering there are still 5-6 thousand new infections per day and 500+ deaths, it's ridiculous to even be thinking of easing things yet.

19 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Not much to be fair, i don’t have much faith in him. Whilst I hip I am wrong, he hasn’t show much so far.

we were told how electable he was, so we know he has the centrists on board, would be nice if in a time of national emergency he want after the government a bit more, Held the press to account and whilst the printed press are in their knees, wasn’t giving exclusives to fucking right wing rags.

as I’ve posted previously,  this isn’t akin to a war, it’s more in common with closing down the pits in the 80’s (I know labour closed plenty in the 70s, but I wasn’t about for it, and these seems to be a lot less hate attached by the communities).

The Tories will put out anything for deflection, fill the news with Johnson’s kid and bullshit and bluster, he should be into them at every opportunity for lives lost, health workers, care homes and the rest. If he is not utterly relentless now is it any wonder the government maintain high approval ratings.

Corbyn was smeared with lies, these pricks in charge, all you have to go after them with is truth, indisputable truth a it’s an open goal, show was in the other foot and those conservative bastards would be right at it.

and if the rags won’t print it in your exclusives go somewhere like Byline Times and get the message out.
might you nnow

make some of the more left leaning actual

members if the party think there is something for them to stick around for.

none of this affects taxation, policy, so the centrists should still be happy.

Im not Spy Bee. Sum that up in two words. F.O 

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Considering there are still 5-6 thousand new infections per day and 500+ deaths, it's ridiculous to even be thinking of easing things yet.

I agree with this but also agree that people can't be locked down for much longer.  It's the ultimate catch 22. The UK has backed itself into a corner with no wiggle room. Ease the lockdown and more people die, extend the lockdown and the economy continues to slump like never before, mental health issues come into play and so on.  It's the price we all have to pay for disastrous leadership.  

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I agree with this but also agree that people can't be locked down for much longer.  It's the ultimate catch 22. The UK has backed itself into a corner with no wiggle room. Ease the lockdown and more people die, extend the lockdown and the economy continues to slump like never before, mental health issues come into play and so on.  It's the price we all have to pay for disastrous leadership.  

You voted for it. 

• Downvote 1

I think the re-opening should go off without a hitch.

The director of public health for the Madrid region has resigned, apparently in protest at the regional government’s decision to seek to loosen lockdown restrictions in the area of Spain hardest hit by the coronavirus.

3 hours ago, No2 said:

My brother and sister are starting to head towards the conspiracy nut trap door. From experience once someone passes through they never come back. Worrying times.

Right. There's a kind of "event horizon" beyond which they begin to construct their own alternative reality and are too far gone. Good luck. 

My sister's just posted this on Facey.

2 of my nursey friends have said they've been to Haydock this week for testing, G4 are doing the tests but they give you the swab and advise you to rub the roof of your mouth and the inside of your nostrils, not the medical staff doing nasopharyngeal swabs then.... definitely, royally fucked!

I'm more concerned at the technique being used as reported by my pals, obviously then when you get sick you won't be recorded as a Covid cos you're test was negative!

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think the re-opening should go off without a hitch.

The director of public health for the Madrid region has resigned, apparently in protest at the regional government’s decision to seek to loosen lockdown restrictions in the area of Spain hardest hit by the coronavirus.

Yeah, the Spanish Tories want to fuck the lockdown off. And Madrid's regional government is run by the Spanish Tories.

The numbers were fucking tight for extending the lockdown and Sanchez had to rely on getting the Spanish Lib Dems on board to get it through.

This is the flip side of a PR system. There is rarely any stability. Elections every 20 minutes, and having to regularly make deals with complete cunts.

Spain also differs to most in that they have to, constitutionally, pass a new "state of alarm" every two weeks. 

The Spanish Tories have criticised PSOE and Podemos for being about a week too slow with the lockdown in the first place, but now apparently want it fucked off. And the far right loons VOX would have basically taken the policy desired by all those armed nutters protesting in the states. 

It's all absolutely marvelous for trying to work a multi phased exit strategy from the lockdown.