You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

28 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

My sister has just received a letter telling her to isolate herself for 13 weeks because of a condition she's got which could affect her immune system.

It would have been nice if she'd received the letter before working the last 6 weeks as a nurse on a Covid-19 ward, but, y'know...

I received a similar letter on Monday saying I should now stay home permanently and shield for 12 weeks, dated 30th April. It’s a good job I’m not personally taking my cues from the UK government on this thing, but I can certainly see why people are confused by the lack of clarity in information being provided.

10 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Another 449 deaths today. 

I can only presume hospital admissions are well down if they are relaxing things from Sunday.

Also, it will be close to seven weeks already. They say six is about as long as people can handle.

We've had more deaths than Italy despite way more warning. The UK government really is a bunch of amateurs in many contexts and I don't mean that in a party political "its all the Tories" way. We can be indolent, incompetent and disorganised as a nation though it pains me to say it. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DJLJ said:

That is why it is sent for peer review. For peers to review it. That is how the system works.

What a fucking clown answer.

Number 1, they skipped peer review. Number 2, "This type of reporting makes my blood boil" and "This is complete hand-waving. It's poorly written." Two comments from "scientists in the field" about the study which sound less like a peer review and more like "hey guys who did this study, you're fucking morons." 

Next time, spend two seconds on Google looking at these studies before disregarding criticism because "I trust scientists in the field". 

Just now, cloggypop said:

Are you going to pull your mask up and down between glugs? Does one keep their mask in place but just cut a hole in it for drinking?

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What a fucking clown answer.

Number 1, they skipped peer review. Number 2, "This type of reporting makes my blood boil" and "This is complete hand-waving. It's poorly written." Two comments from "scientists in the field" about the study which sound less like a peer review and more like "hey guys who did this study, you're fucking morons." 

Next time, spend two seconds on Google looking at these studies before disregarding criticism because "I trust scientists in the field". 

They haven't skipped anything.

The 33-page report was posted Thursday on BioRxiv, a website that researchers use to share their work before it is peer-reviewed, an effort to speed up collaborations with scientists working on COVID-19 vaccines or treatments.

and from the very top of the actual paper:

bioRxiv is receiving many new papers on coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.   A reminder: these are preliminary reports that have not been peer-reviewed. They should not be regarded as conclusive, guide clinical practice/health-related behavior, or be reported in news media as established information.

And yes I will trust "The Los Alamos team, assisted by scientists at Duke University and the University of Sheffield in England"

The full list ion authors are here: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.29.069054v1.article-info 

13 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

They haven't skipped anything.

and from the very top of the actual paper:

bioRxiv is receiving many new papers on coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.   A reminder: these are preliminary reports that have not been peer-reviewed. They should not be regarded as conclusive, guide clinical practice/health-related behavior, or be reported in news media as established information.

And yes I will trust "The Los Alamos team, assisted by scientists at Duke University and the University of Sheffield in England"

The full list ion authors are here: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.29.069054v1.article-info 

Cool. I'll keep trusting actual solid, peer reviewed stuff and not become a hysterical fanny over studies that are being rushed and eviscerated by other members of the scientific community. 

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

Another 449 deaths today. 

I can only presume hospital admissions are well down if they are relaxing things from Sunday.

Is that combined numbers? 

If so, that's lovely stuff.  Another week and we might see real movement in those numbers. 

They should turn the Nigtingales into nightclubs. 

44 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

We opened up the pubs and bars again today in Stavanger. You have to be sat at a table to get served though and we close at 24.00 instead of 03.30.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Couldnt agree more, over 150 frontline workers dead and the cunt talks about tone to a practicing doctor. Labour should be calling for his resignation.

Heres the human cost,  I wonder if Hancock would question the tone of the poor teenage kid speaking so eloquently and courageously about the loss of her father in the clip below. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52344678/coronavirus-we-woke-up-in-the-morning-and-he-was-gone

Fuck, that's terrifying. Poor fella. 

27 minutes ago, Code said:

We opened up the pubs and bars again today in Stavanger. You have to be sat at a table to get served though and we close at 24.00 instead of 03.30.

Hotels in Liverpool are still shut FYI 

At least the foreign press know the score- https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/06/complacent-uk-draws-global-criticism-for-covid-19-response-boris-johnson

‘Complacent’ UK draws global criticism for Covid-19 response
Opinion writers from Italy to Australia attack ‘stupidity’ and label Boris Johnson incompetent

Boris Johnson is ‘not Trump, though there is something similar in their approaches’, one Italian columnist wrote. 

From Italy to Australia, critics have accused a “complacent” British government of “massively underestimating” the gravity of the coronavirus crisis after the UK reported the highest death toll in Europe.

While Rai Uno, the Italian state broadcaster’s flagship channel, gave prominent play to the news that Britain had recorded “more than 32,000 deaths, the highest total in Europe exceeding even Italy”, the Corriere della Serra daily went a good way further.

The situation in the UK was “like a nightmare from which you cannot awake, but in which you landed because of your own fault or stupidity”, the influential liberal-conservative paper said, adding that Britain seemed “a prisoner of itself”.

The country that was “the most reluctant in Europe to impose a lockdown has become the most cautious to start reopening”, with public opinion frightened of the consequences and Boris Johnson eager to avoid breaking Italy’s “sad record”.

Experts have warned against direct international comparisons of Covid-19 death tolls, saying different counting methods and many other factors make such exercises unreliable and it may take months if not years to draw firm conclusions.

However, Beppe Severgnini, an opinion writer on Corriere della Sera, said it seemed clear Britain had “lost the advantage that fate and Italy gave it – for example, the first two weeks of the outbreak in Italy when it was obvious the virus was spreading”.

The British government “did not pay enough attention to what was happening here, while Germany responded very well”, Severgnini said. “The two great British virtues – understatement and grace under fire – have turned out to not be a blessing.”

He said the UK was served neither by “a very weak cabinet” nor Johnson’s character: “He’s not Trump, though there is something similar in their approaches, but in this kind of challenge you need to really work hard on details. He’s not a details person.”

Beyond Italy – where the Covid-19 death toll, which does not include suspected cases, is just over 29,000 – German commentators were also critical. Britain has emerged as Europe’s “problem child” of the Covid-19 crisis, the DPA news agency’s London correspondent Christoph Meyer wrote.

“Only a few weeks ago, Britain had the reputation of a country in which the coronavirus was only spreading cautiously,” Meyer wrote in an opinion piece published in several newspapers in Germany and Austria.

“Politicians were already slapping each other on their backs and praising the health system, which was better prepared for the pandemic than any other country in the world. But that has quickly revealed itself to be a fallacy … There are now many signs that the government in London massively underestimated the pandemic.”

In a piece this week drawing on the British prime minister’s frequent deployment of classical allusions, the London correspondent of Spain’s left-leaning El País queried suggestions that the prime minister was some latter-day Odysseus.

“The conservative press tries to present Johnson as a man of reborn wisdom”, whose experience of Covid-19 had led him to “lash himself to the mast to resist the siren calls” of those demanding the lockdown be lifted soon, wrote Rafa de Miguel.

“In fact, it’s far from clear whether such determination is the fruit of careful calculation – or the result of simply closing one’s eyes when there’s no other option.”

Officials in Greece, which has been widely praised for its handling of the pandemic, have watched London’s handling of the crisis with disbelief, with epidemiologists also criticising the UK government’s initial embrace of a “herd immunity” policy.

The progressive daily Ethnos described Johnson as “more dangerous than coronavirus”, saying one of the crisis’s greatest tragedies was that “incompetent leaders” such as Johnson and Donald Trump were “at the helm at a time of such emergency”.

Before changing tack, Johnson “had gone out and essentially asked Britons … to accept death”, wrote the columnist Giorgos Skafidas.

Irish commentators also expressed dismay at the UK’s record. “Ministers of slim talent have bumbled through daily briefings and now big business-Conservative donors are impatient to reverse a shutdown so contrary to Brexiteer dreams,” Fionnuala O’Connor wrote in the broadly nationalist Irish News.

“Boris Johnson needs all his showman’s tricks now to sell the phasing out of a lockdown which was less than effective, at least in part, because of his stubborn libertarianism.”

Outside Europe, criticism has been strongest in Australia and New Zealand, both of which imposed strict, early lockdowns and have contained their outbreaks. Scott Morrison, the Australian prime minister, said no country that had pursued herd immunity had achieved it, describing the strategy as a “death sentence”.

David Hunter, an Australian-educated professor of epidemiology and medicine at Oxford University, told the conservative Sydney Morning Herald the British response was “not a model to follow. It has one of the worst epidemics in Europe and the world … Some aspects of the response have almost certainly contributed to the high mortality”.

Hunter particularly criticised the British decision – in contrast to Australia and New Zealand – not to close its borders early. Mike Rann, a former Australian high commissioner to Britain, told the paper Britain had “handled the earliest stages negligently”, lamenting “a shambles of mixed messaging, poor organisation and a complacent attitude that what was happening in Italy wouldn’t happen here”.