You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

19 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I'm going the other way.  I think there will be a strong second wave, subsequent waves after that and long term economic turmoil.  Without a vaccine I doubt things will ever be the same again. Who wants to sit in a pub or restaurant at a time like this? Not me.

I think even in the worst case scenario it can't go on forever, Spanish flu ended because everyone was either immune because they'd beaten it, or dead. Flu only comes back seasonally because it mutates slightly and we just tweak the vaccine accordingly. 

The waves of Coronavirus aren't naturally occurring (from what I've read, I'm obviously no expert) but have been created artificially by lockdown. Where lockdown has been lifted, there's been flare ups but they themselves have petered out or been brought under control (China, Germany - so far).

The biggest problem will be, as you say, the economic fallout. That fallout will be orchestrated though by disaster capitalists (sounds like it already is, a lot of this new NHS tech, aps, tracing contracts, equipment has been given to the private sector with no chance for the State to even bid). 

Economies are controlled by us, there's no interest in an 'end of the world' economic scenario because cunts like Trump and the Barclays would go broke too, so they won't let it happen, what is in their interests though is for all these individual pub and cafes to go bust and be bought up by chains, or for a brutalised population to gradually be taught to accept a lower quality of life. If that comes to pass though that's on us for having no stones, we've got nobody else to blame.  

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

There’s a fella play for our AFL team over here Collingwood called Steele Sidebottom - I’ve been threatening to get make a Frank Head and a little frank and head the match with a Sidebottom shirt on - me missus told me to fuck off with that idea.

When all is back to normal, I'm going to head to Melbourne mate - and try and see if I can time it so Nath is there too. We'll have a good day on the lash and hopefully celebrate the other code in the other hemisphere too.

Edited by the chimp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Keir Starmer does have a certain confidence at the dispatch box. I just wish he wasn't the second coming of Tony Blair.

He's nowt like him mate, he's been defending oppressed groups (often pro bono) in his legal career since day one and stretched the legal rules especially so he could prosecute Murdoch's minions for phone hacking. 

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Economies are controlled by us, there's no interest in an 'end of the world' economic scenario because cunts like Trump and the Barclays would go broke too, so they won't let it happen, what is in their interests though is for all these individual pub and cafes to go bust and be bought up by chains, or for a brutalised population to gradually be taught to accept a lower quality of life. If that comes to pass though that's on us for having no stones, we've got nobody else to blame.  

So that horrible status quo I kept reading about for years wasn't all that unbearable after all?

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

And oh look, multiple scientists in the field critiquing the study. Gee, what a surprise. 

image.png.1ae253dd459d6dde7bfc6b3881fbd0c6.png

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/New-dominant-strain-of-coronavirus-reported-15248094.php

Scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory claim they have discovered a new, dominant strain of coronavirus that spreads faster than previous strains, but several prominent virologists are skeptical about the study and its conclusions.

That is why it is sent for peer review. For peers to review it. That is how the system works.

31 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I think even in the worst case scenario it can't go on forever, Spanish flu ended because everyone was either immune because they'd beaten it, or dead. Flu only comes back seasonally because it mutates slightly and we just tweak the vaccine accordingly. 

The waves of Coronavirus aren't naturally occurring (from what I've read, I'm obviously no expert) but have been created artificially by lockdown. Where lockdown has been lifted, there's been flare ups but they themselves have petered out or been brought under control (China, Germany - so far).

The biggest problem will be, as you say, the economic fallout. That fallout will be orchestrated though by disaster capitalists (sounds like it already is, a lot of this new NHS tech, aps, tracing contracts, equipment has been given to the private sector with no chance for the State to even bid). 

It won't go on forever with this virus but the threat of emerging pathogens will be ever present.  I don't think things will ever go back to "normal" and people who cling to the hope that normality will be resumed at some unspecified point are in for an awakening, I reckon.  The economic fallout from this has already surpassed great depression levels.  This is just the beginning. 

37 minutes ago, the chimp said:

When all is back to normal, I'm going to head to Melbourne mate - and try and see if I can time it so Nath is there too. We'll have a good day on the lash and hopefully celebrate the other code in the other hemisphere too.

Sound mate, look forward to it.

30 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I read that no one with a ponytail has got it yet? They should look into that.

I am almost back to Steven seagal length, so will tie up and take on the public. Just hope the monkeys arse isn’t a weak point.

7 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It won't go on forever with this virus but the threat of emerging pathogens will be ever present.  I don't think things will ever go back to "normal" and people who cling to the hope that normality will be resumed at some unspecified point are in for an awakening, I reckon.  The economic fallout from this has already surpassed great depression levels.  This is just the beginning. 

This could be true.

the Spanish flu lasted well over 12 months - In no small thanks to America’s post war movements.

this may not be over by a long shout yet ( I hope it is, I just see little precedent to suggest it and the Indy SAGEs didn’t seem overly optimistic).

but what we have learned is that leading western governments have gone economy first at the cost of public lives, and will continue to do so, as they still seem to hold public opinion.

how many bites on the arse will it take to get people to see that the people they elect couldn’t give 2 shiny shites about them. Future pandemics - us and uk governments are currently learning just how much collateral damage they can get away with.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He's nowt like him mate, he's been defending oppressed groups (often pro bono) in his legal career since day one and stretched the legal rules especially so he could prosecute Murdoch's minions for phone hacking. 

He’s been nigh on fucking useless since taking over as leader in the biggest health crisis in 100 years.

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

The police are aggro, the furloughing scheme is going to stop in July, kids roaming the streets after 4 months without stimulation, people will be drinking together in public outdoor spaces, etc.  All these little factors come together and coupled with people's nerves being frayed, edgy, and one day an incident happens where the police have overstepped their mark, and it just snowballs, like it did in 2011.

Or in V For Vendetta.

13 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Things will go back to normal, once the psychological element of fear of a new, unknown, contagious disease is exhausted, which will be fairly soon, once people realize the high economic cost and the actual risk for anybody who isn't over 60 or already at risk from a serious illness, compared to other risks in life, like contracting any of the myriad other illnesses which statistically have much better chance of killing you.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Things will go back to normal, once the psychological element of fear of a new, unknown, contagious disease is exhausted, which will be fairly soon, once people realize the high economic cost and the actual risk for anybody who isn't over 60 or already at risk from a serious illness, compared to other risks in life, like contracting any of the myriad other illnesses which statistically have much better chance of killing you.

If you say so.  When will things be normal again, then?  When will I be able to go to the match and for a pint afterwards?  

7 minutes ago, TK421 said:

If you say so.  When will things be normal again, then?  When will I be able to go to the match and for a pint afterwards?  

Let me quickly run some modeling on my computer and check.

Here: you will be able to go for a pint over the summer, and to the match in the spring.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Let me quickly run some modeling on my computer and check.

Here: you will be able to go for a pint over the summer, and to the match in the spring.

Excellent!  I'm looking forward to that beer garden atmos, ain't no party like a TK party. 

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The care homes thing is a strange one, is there any evidence that they were abandoned and not admitted to hospital when they should have been? Or that the virus sadly killed them quite quickly. 

I've seen and read nothing that suggests ICUs were anywhere near capacity, or any wards. 

Need to page catch so this may have already been answered. 

But there is evidence that some local authorities were asking care homes to apply, without consultation, DNRs to non-elderly residents with learning disabilities and other needs.  

Not sure of the exact details and not sure of the mechanics of it but it happened, and knowing what we know about this government and it's advisors it is not a stretch to suggest that was the plan, or lack thereof, for the rest of the care home sector.   

It's further back in this thread, I think it may have originally been posted by lifetime fan. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moo said:

Need to page catch so this may have already been answered. 

But there is evidence that some local authorities were asking care homes to apply, without consultation, DNRs to non-elderly residents with learning disabilities and other needs.  

Voyage Care posted about it on Linkedin, advising that's what they had been told and generally outlining their dissatisfaction with the edict.

My sister has just received a letter telling her to isolate herself for 13 weeks because of a condition she's got which could affect her immune system.

It would have been nice if she'd received the letter before working the last 6 weeks as a nurse on a Covid-19 ward, but, y'know...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4