You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 people tested positive out of 1700 tested in Bundesliga in the first round before regular testing is introduced.

This just goes to show how widespread this thing is. Germany should have some 26k active cases now, and by this measure, there may actually be half a million people still with the virus. In Germany, where the registered numbers are probably closest to the actual numbers, and based on a shielded population category (middle and high income, ability to self-isolate, limited exposure to essential workers).

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

10 people tested positive out of 1700 tested in Bundesliga in the first round before regular testing is introduced.

This just goes to show how widespread this thing is. Germany should have some 26k active cases now, and by this measure, there may actually be half a million people still with the virus. In Germany, where the registered numbers are probably closest to the actual numbers, and based on a shielded population category (middle and high income, ability to self-isolate, limited exposure to essential workers).

Do the deaths declared in Germany include care homes too?  No idea so it’s not a trap. 

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I've been quietly impressed with the advertising industry in all this. Just Eat seems to have re-branded itself as the British Red Cross, supporting families all over the land during this time of crisis. Hats off. 

There are folks from Shipt circling the aisles in the market like sharks - front line.

15 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Thanks for posting these. Fascinating.

I've got their You Tube channel linked now, but do you happen to know how often they've proposed to host these?

Presume weekly?

I watched the entire 2.5 hours of the meeting earlier and could have literally watched them talking all day. They were very scathing of the government quite rightly.

Also interesting that they revealed that more scientists haven't spoken out due to fear of their funding being pulled.

Allyson Pollock was brilliant (forward to 56:10) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFLAwZeNfxE

Not sure of the regularity. I'm assuming it's once a week as they plan to document all discussions and raise any points/recommendations directly to government.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SasaS said:

What?

Sorry, I was failing to multitask.  I heard on the radio today that the figures in some European countries didn’t include those who died in hospital and didn’t include those who’d died with covid as well as some other condition.  It seemed to suggest our numbers were more honest.  Just wondered if you knew. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Sorry, I was failing to multitask.  I heard on the radio today that the figures in some European countries didn’t include those who died in hospital and didn’t include those who’d died with covid as well as some other condition.  It seemed to suggest our numbers were more honest.  Just wondered if you knew. 

Th UK is not reporting deaths from nursing homes I believe - the majority of deaths reported in many other countries include those. Reports are the UK numbers are some of the least honest.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Rico1304 said:

I think German numbers didn't include care homes at first, don't know if they changed reporting. Belgium, France, Sweden include care homes, not sure about Spain and Italy. UK is including care homes daily only since last week, it is not clear if all past cases have been included in the recent update.

• Upvote 1

Assessing the true toll has been a struggle across Europe. France initially didn’t count nursing-home deaths in its official virus tally, and when it started including them in early April, daily fatalities more than doubled. In Spain, an unpublished government report cited by RTVE public television on April 23 estimated that retirement-home patients accounted for two-thirds of overall coronavirus deaths—almost 14,000 people. And while the U.K. is struggling to determine how many virus-related deaths have occurred in care homes, the National Care Forum estimated that they doubled in just one week in April.

“It's unbelievable that it's taken so long to get the data sorted out,” said Martin McKee, professor of European public health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. “Without good data, I can't actually understand how you can even start thinking about opening up.”

Even in Germany, where the virus took longer to spread into facilities for the elderly, between one-third and one-half of all virus deaths have been linked to care homes of some kind. Once below 1%, the German fatality rate for the virus has crept above 3% as it spreads through nursing homes, according to the Robert Koch Institute, the country’s public-health authority.

• Upvote 1

Bunch of mealy-mouthed wankers. Men are about twice as likely to die from this as women, that's been known for a while. Just come out and say it- 'certain genders', ffs. Specify the ethnic groups too and give appropriate advice to take more care if you're male or in one of those groups.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Bunch of mealy-mouthed wankers. Men are about twice as likely to die from this as women, that's been known for a while. Just come out and say it- 'certain genders', ffs. Specify the ethnic groups too and give appropriate advice to take more care if you're male or in one of those groups.

Typical man. Stop virusplaining to the DHSC. #virustoo

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Here is my advice: don't be poor, make sure you have a big house and a job you can do from home and don't have high blood pressure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Mudface said:

There are not enough characters available in a Tweet to list the genders in 2020. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I've been quietly impressed with the advertising industry in all this. Just Eat seems to have re-branded itself as the British Red Cross, supporting families all over the land during this time of crisis. Hats off. 

Yes they're all at it, they will all be here for us in these unprecedented times. 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Mother in law died on April 15th of it, she had a few health issues but was only 70. Funeral is tomorrow, going to be weird only 10 people and it will all be wrapped up in 40 minutes.

Terrible news man. All the best.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Mother in law died on April 15th of it, she had a few health issues but was only 70. Funeral is tomorrow, going to be weird only 10 people and it will all be wrapped up in 40 minutes.

Awful mate. Best wishes. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Sorry to hear that, I get you about the funeral situation, not nice at all and doesn't seem right when paying respects to someone's life and times. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the good wishes. Nobody has put anything out about about it until today. There were worries about random bandwagon jumpers coming the funeral who have barely bothered since she's been ill. In a way this situation has taken care of that issue. Last couple of weeks have been a nightmare dealing with my son who has autism and is bored out of his brain and a wife who has barely had a chance to grieve dealing with him and sorting out all the funeral arrangements.

• Upvote 1