You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

Alright, you can use Pictionary responses and I'll use actual words. 

It's a reflex reaction for me.  I see the Union Jack and I think "Middle-Englander gammon-faced wanker".  I can't help it, that's what I associate it with.  Factor in all the Churchill shite, the Queen and drinking tea and it's all a bit Brexity and racist for me.

If that says more about me than them, so be it. 

Fair enough that - was quite cunty of me to keep posting pics.

I know what you mean about the Union Jack - it’s a shame that national pride is automatically seen as racist these days. We are complimentary in the main about other countries showing national pride, cultural identity and flying their own flags, but we shy away from it due to the racist element stealing that cluster of normal behaviours. It does my head in that the initial thought is “racist” as well, as it feeds the actual racist cunts who are trying to claim it as a sign of their love for the country and hate for all things foreign. If the perception was that it wasn’t racist, then it isn’t racist anymore. 

And a VE Day 75th street party while maintaining social distancing is a lovely idea and can’t see how you’ve tied the 30,000 deaths in with it. This is just normal people trying to make the best of a bad situation, surely?

Back down to 76K tests today. So basically, they bunged 40-odd thousand tests in the post on Thursday and Friday to meet their target. What a joke. Apparently, some of the kits don't even have return labels and the recipients have been told to bin them.

1 hour ago, belarus said:

Fair enough that - was quite cunty of me to keep posting pics.

I know what you mean about the Union Jack - it’s a shame that national pride is automatically seen as racist these days. We are complimentary in the main about other countries showing national pride, cultural identity and flying their own flags, but we shy away from it due to the racist element stealing that cluster of normal behaviours. It does my head in that the initial thought is “racist” as well, as it feeds the actual racist cunts who are trying to claim it as a sign of their love for the country and hate for all things foreign. If the perception was that it wasn’t racist, then it isn’t racist anymore. 

And a VE Day 75th street party while maintaining social distancing is a lovely idea and can’t see how you’ve tied the 30,000 deaths in with it. This is just normal people trying to make the best of a bad situation, surely?

Personally I don't feel any national pride.  I don't have any identity in that regard, it's not something that's important to me and I'm not invested in this country on that sort of emotional level.  If anything, I feel a sense of national shame but that's a fleeting thing and not something I would permit to define me.

You talk about perception, well my perception of what the Union Jack represents is that it's a tarnished brand.  Britain is the country of austerity.  It's the country of sneering at the vulnerable and unemployed and victimising them, demonising Muslims with a phony war on terror, it's a country where a Prime Minister who calls Muslim women "letterboxes" wins an election comfortably, it's a country that gives Nigel Farage the platform to spew his hate-filled politics, it's a country where black footballers get booed if they have the nerve to play for the national team, it's a country with great institutions like the BBC but when you scratch under the surface it's all a bit Yewtree, it's a country where a load of people can be left to burn in a tower block and the powers that be don't give a fuck, it's a country with a Royal family boasting the likes of Prince Andrew.  It's a shitty insular little island nation with an even shittier insular island nation attitude.

As for that facebook thing telling me what to do on VE Day, it comes across as a bit heavy-handed do you not think?  Here's the itinerary, you must do this to be a good Brit and if you don't then you're not a proper British person and not as great or British as me.  The whole thing has to be turned up to eleven, you need to spend the whole day being British and if your neighbour doesn't join in then shame them on Facebook (you just know it will happen somewhere).  Fuck that.  Besides which, it just sounds like a really shit way to spend the day.  What if I catch the Covid and die in a couple of weeks?  I'll have wasted one of my last days watching old Churchill speeches and standing on my doorstep for two minutes like a twat.   

And do you know what, I wish people would just forget about the world wars.  They're gone, get over it.  I'm thankful for the sacrifices made and all that but it was an awful long time ago, can we not move on or does it always have to be a thing?  To me it is out of touch with what's happening in reality, which is that 30,000 or so are dead and we're well on course to have the worst death toll in Europe.  So celebrating VE Day with such zealous enthusiasm just seems out of touch with what's going on at the minute, to me, because really there isn't much to be proud of.  We're in an absolute mess.

• Upvote 16

Repped for a cathartic post in full, as sexrex might say, but especially for “I'll have wasted one of my last days watching old Churchill speeches and standing on my doorstep for two minutes like a twat”.

• Upvote 1

The only people who glorify the war are people who have never and would never have the bottle to serve their beloved country. Britain didn't win any war anyway. Apart from the falklands, which was fucking evil anyway. 

16 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Personally I don't feel any national pride.  I don't have any identity in that regard, it's not something that's important to me and I'm not invested in this country on that sort of emotional level.  If anything, I feel a sense of national shame but that's a fleeting thing and not something I would permit to define me.

You talk about perception, well my perception of what the Union Jack represents is that it's a tarnished brand.  Britain is the country of austerity.  It's the country of sneering at the vulnerable and unemployed and victimising them, demonising Muslims with a phony war on terror, it's a country where a Prime Minister who calls Muslim women "letterboxes" wins an election comfortably, it's a country that gives Nigel Farage the platform to spew his hate-filled politics, it's a country where black footballers get booed if they have the nerve to play for the national team, it's a country with great institutions like the BBC but when you scratch under the surface it's all a bit Yewtree, it's a country where a load of people can be left to burn in a tower block and the powers that be don't give a fuck, it's a country with a Royal family boasting the likes of Prince Andrew.  It's a shitty insular little island nation with an even shittier insular island nation attitude.

As for that facebook thing telling me what to do on VE Day, it comes across as a bit heavy-handed do you not think?  Here's the itinerary, you must do this to be a good Brit and if you don't then you're not a proper British person and not as great or British as me.  The whole thing has to be turned up to eleven, you need to spend the whole day being British and if your neighbour doesn't join in then shame them on Facebook (you just know it will happen somewhere).  Fuck that.  Besides which, it just sounds like a really shit way to spend the day.  What if I catch the Covid and die in a couple of weeks?  I'll have wasted one of my last days watching old Churchill speeches and standing on my doorstep for two minutes like a twat.   

And do you know what, I wish people would just forget about the world wars.  They're gone, get over it.  I'm thankful for the sacrifices made and all that but it was an awful long time ago, can we not move on or does it always have to be a thing?  To me it is out of touch with what's happening in reality, which is that 30,000 or so are dead and we're well on course to have the worst death toll in Europe.  So celebrating VE Day with such zealous enthusiasm just seems out of touch with what's going on at the minute, to me, because really there isn't much to be proud of.  We're in an absolute mess.

You could just as easily write most of this for the US. 

11 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The rumour mill saying Piers Morgan has the virus. True or bollocks ?

Apparently he won't be on the show tomorrow as he has had mild symptoms and has had a test done. He may not be on the show until he gets the results back.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-piers-morgan-positive-test-good-morning-britain-a9496851.html

9 hours ago, SasaS said:

Why racist?

Anyone buy into the 5g stuff?

Ive largely called them all soft cunts, but some things pique my interest.  IE, Trump has said that one day this will all just go away all of a sudden.  How?  Odd take.

Why does the 5g conspiracy theory even exist?  Why isn't the same true of 4g? 

Why did our government fight so hard to get 5g installed everywhere? 

Why am I drunk? 

5 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Anyone buy into the 5g stuff?

Ive largely called them all soft cunts, but some things pique my interest.  IE, Trump has said that one day this will all just go away all of a sudden.  How?  Odd take.

Why does the 5g conspiracy theory even exist?  Why isn't the same true of 4g? 

Why did our government fight so hard to get 5g installed everywhere? 

Why am I drunk? 

I've said earlier in this thread, it did. Did with 3g as well. I worked with mobile phones and the shit some people believe is mental 

The FT are reporting that there may be a loosening of work restrictions soon, but with the message being to still work from home if possible. 

In the workplace, they're suggesting no hot-desking, limited use of lifts, work canteens to remain closed and ensuring that staff obey the 2m distance recommendation, don't share pens and avoid face to face meetings, where possible. 

6 hours ago, TK421 said:

Is right.