You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

My nieces’ schools are both providing work each day and mum is a classroom assistant so is making sure they are both doing a bit extra following their respective curriculum. The elder niece is getting held up as a shining example by her teachers, so her classmates will probably hate her by the time they get back...

10 minutes ago, Grinch said:

McDonald's are starting to open their stores again.   Just a handful on a trail run at first. 

Starting to look like it won't be too much longer until lock down is lifted. 

Not sure if I will lift my own personal lockdown for a bit, I have absolutely no confidence in anyone who is supposed to be running things at the moment that its under control. I dont give a fuck what Johnson says.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Grinch said:

McDonald's are starting to open their stores again.   Just a handful on a trail run at first. 

Starting to look like it won't be too much longer until lock down is lifted. 

They'll be absolutely rammed when they re-open.

12 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m talking about primary school level. Are kids being set what you’d define as lessons? From what I’m experiencing the teachers are sending clear instructions with plenty of room to improvise. If the parents do have good intentions it could be done on a basic level like reading the instructions on the back of a microwave meal. It’s the kind of things that the kids have already been doing all through the school year. At the very least you’re just keeping their little brains ticking over.

I’m in contact with my six year old’s teacher every day and she sends group messages every morning with plenty of stuff for them to be getting on with. It’s genuinely been really good. It’s given me things to do with her that we never would have done otherwise. Little science experiments and things that give me a different insight into what they’re doing at school. The teacher has said all along that there’s no pressure to get everything done and that people should only do what they feel they can. There’s still been a few moments where I’ve thought to myself that I’ve got a new found respect for primary school teachers though. I couldn’t handle 20+ of them. 

Maybe we’re lucky but I was assuming it would be mostly the same everywhere and it’s parents who can’t be arsed that are letting their kids down, not any failure or unrealistic expectations from the teachers. I know of one kid in Turdsette’s class where this is definitely true. The mum likes a drink, she’s one of those treating this like it’s a holiday. The little girl is already behind the other kids, she was still wearing a nappy to school at 5-6 and is now looking at six months stuck at home without any meaningful attempt at schooling. It’s just fucking sad. 

It’s different for the older kids. Ours have direct contact through school emails and the teachers are able to see what’s being done. Again, I think they’re being careful not to make things more stressful for them and they’re finished after two hours at most. All I can do is make sure they’re up and at it in the mornings and ask how they’re getting on.  

It’s a different challenge again for you, @Creator Supreme, I can understand that. If this was going on when I was 15, I know for a fact I’d be doing nothing and there’d be fuck all my ma would or could have done about it. My points in this thread have been mainly about the younger kids where the lack of education has a much bigger effect long term. 

Ah, with you now mate. My 9 year old has been quite good to be honest, hasn't needed much encouragement either. Like you say different challenge with teenagers (I've got two)!

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

Ah, with you now mate. My 9 year old has been quite good to be honest, hasn't needed much encouragement either. Like you say different challenge with teenagers (I've got two)!

I'll see if I can help.  I'm just off to Google Naughty Teen Schoolgirls Need Discipline

I'll let you know.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m talking about primary school level. Are kids being set what you’d define as lessons? From what I’m experiencing the teachers are sending clear instructions with plenty of room to improvise. If the parents do have good intentions it could be done on a basic level like reading the instructions on the back of a microwave meal. It’s the kind of things that the kids have already been doing all through the school year. At the very least you’re just keeping their little brains ticking over.

I’m in contact with my six year old’s teacher every day and she sends group messages every morning with plenty of stuff for them to be getting on with. It’s genuinely been really good. It’s given me things to do with her that we never would have done otherwise. Little science experiments and things that give me a different insight into what they’re doing at school. The teacher has said all along that there’s no pressure to get everything done and that people should only do what they feel they can. There’s still been a few moments where I’ve thought to myself that I’ve got a new found respect for primary school teachers though. I couldn’t handle 20+ of them. 

Maybe we’re lucky but I was assuming it would be mostly the same everywhere and it’s parents who can’t be arsed that are letting their kids down, not any failure or unrealistic expectations from the teachers. I know of one kid in Turdsette’s class where this is definitely true. The mum likes a drink, she’s one of those treating this like it’s a holiday. The little girl is already behind the other kids, she was still wearing a nappy to school at 5-6 and is now looking at six months stuck at home without any meaningful attempt at schooling. It’s just fucking sad. 

It’s different for the older kids. Ours have direct contact through school emails and the teachers are able to see what’s being done. Again, I think they’re being careful not to make things more stressful for them and they’re finished after two hours at most. All I can do is make sure they’re up and at it in the mornings and ask how they’re getting on.  

It’s a different challenge again for you, @Creator Supreme, I can understand that. If this was going on when I was 15, I know for a fact I’d be doing nothing and there’d be fuck all my ma would or could have done about it. My points in this thread have been mainly about the younger kids where the lack of education has a much bigger effect long term. 

Here in Ireland, the national television broadcaster is having 30 mins of Irish school every morning and then 2 1/2 hours of school for Mathematics, English, History, French/German and so on for Primary school classes. This means we can out them to watch classes for them for several hours every day and we can make as much inroad on our own work as possible. Then at 1.30 we can start with the home schooling and the teachers in the school my kids go to have been great at sending out stuff to do daily on Google Classroom, which has worked well for this. We upload small movie clips of them reading etc. and screenshots from the pages they have finished in their homework. 

I think the worst part was getting into a routine with the kids, but the morning tv classes has been great for us to get stuff done, before we have to turn our attention over to them full time for some hours. And then we can finish up, after having eaten dinner.

3 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Reiterating my offer from ages ago. If anyone has a primary aged child (year 1-6) and wants some extra resources just PM me their year group and anything specific you'd like with an email address and I'll send some resources over.  

Top man, that is a great offer.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Reiterating my offer from ages ago. If anyone has a primary aged child (year 1-6) and wants some extra resources just PM me their year group and anything specific you'd like with an email address and I'll send some resources over.  

What do you know about high school AP level Algebra??

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

What do you know about high school AP level Algebra??

Fuck all but my missus teaches Physics to Alevel and can teach maths. She might have some stuff? 

It's funny because I wouldn't have a clue teaching kids what she does and she struggles to do year 1 phonics because it's so far removed from what she does. 

1 hour ago, General Dryness said:

Won't you miss the extra cash from your seasonal job in Santas workshop?

I don’t think Dean Martin would have had much success 

And since we’ve no place to go...

Let it burn, let it burn, let it burn 

122K tests today. Well do...

Oh, they're still lying, obfuscating cunts then. 

https://www.hsj.co.uk/quality-and-performance/revealed-how-government-changed-the-rules-to-hit-100000-tests-target/7027544.article

Revealed: How government changed the rules to hit 100,000 tests target

“Manic” race to reach 100,000 tests per day by end of April
Source says government has changed counting mechanism to boost figures
Figures now include dispatched home testing kits prior to samples provided

The government has changed the way it is counting the number of covid-19 tests carried out in a bid to hit its target of 100,000 tests per day by the end of April, HSJ can reveal.

Previously, a test would be counted once the sample had been processed in laboratories. But this definition has been changed in the last few days, a senior source told HSJ.

The Department of Health and Social Care is now including tests that have been posted or delivered to people’s homes in its figures. This means tests which are sent to people are counted before the recipient has provided and returned their sample to a laboratory.

HSJ understands that up to 50,000 of the tests that will be reported as having taken place on 30 April will actually represent the mailing or the agreeing to mail a home testing kit.

In the last seven days (23-30 April) the number of tests reported by the government rose from 23,560 to 81,611.

The source told HSJ that work to achieve the 100,000 tests per day had been “manic” and that the health and social care secretary Matt Hancock was “obsessed” with reaching the target. “They are trying every trick in the book,” the source said.

“They had to get the permanent secretary at DHSC (Chris Wormald) to agree to a change in the counting process.

“We’re now counting a home test as tests which have been sent to people’s homes.”

Testing for covid-19 has been predominantly carried out under two of Mr Hancock’s five “pillars”, within the government’s testing strategy.

These are tests at laboratories run by Public Health England and NHS hospitals (Pillar One) and swab tests at dozens of community sites across the UK (Pillar Two), with the latter including the posting of home testing kits and deliveries by companies such as Amazon. 

HSJ understands around 27,000 home tests were posted to people yesterday as part of pillar two work. They will form part of today’s testing figures which are yet to be published.  

HSJ’s source said: “The view is that is unsustainable. It was just a massive one-day mission on the part of Amazon and the Royal Mail”.

HSJ understands the number of home test kits that have been returned by Amazon this week is about one one third of the number posted.

Meanwhile, the government has recently announced two testing programmes under Pillar Four, which will eventually include hundreds of thousands of people. 

One of the programmes, announced on Wednesday and led by Imperial College, Imperial College Health Healthcare Trust and polling company Ipsos Mori, will see 100,000 home testing kits sent to people across the country.  

HSJ understands around 25,000 home testing kits were posted to people yesterday through this scheme. On Wednesday, only 1,150 tests under Pillar Four had been carried out. 

The other Pillar Four programme, announced on 23 April, aims to track coronavirus in the general population and is led by the DHSC and Office for National Statistics, with the help of University of Oxford, data science company IQVIA UK and the National Biosample Centre in Milton Keynes. 

Testing figures for yesterday will be announced later today.

The DHSC has been approached for comment.