You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

True, but expanding that slightly, it'll be the poorest in general that get hardest hit (as usual). There's a lot more similarity between people on low incomes than there is between people classified as BAME.

Agree, but what if 'the poorest' are also disproportionately made up of BAME people? If the finding is 'BAME people suffered the most because their living standards are generally worse due to low incomes, and/or they're more likely to be employed in front-line roles', it's needs highlighting.

20 minutes ago, cochyn said:

And follow what, horoscopes? From my (admittedly limited) understanding of the science, every country's science community is feeling its way in the dark here. The link I posted a few pages back has the most recent data sets make for pretty harrowing reading. You may not like what you're seeing, naturally.  But 'misleading' figures pretty much comes down to the inherent variables in statistical models. Science isn't to blame here (we'd be doubly fucked without it). It's a totally new virus that we still know alarmingly little about.  

Horoscopes would probably be more accurate than those Imperial College guys.

I've no issue with "following the science" in principle, as long as it's good science drawn on consensus and has an end result in mind.  You know, like, everyone wears a mask.  That would seem to be good science based upon what's happening in Czechia.   Instead, our government has placed their reliance upon inaccurate statistical modelling, has abandoned contact tracing/testing (only to change their minds at a much later date) and asked us to sing happy birthday whilst washing our hands.  The UK government's response has been appalling and it shows in the death toll, which itself is played down and under reported.  They're a fucking shambles with an AWOL prime minister and I wish they'd all fuck right off.     

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Possibly the first time I’ve negged you, but you need to take that draft shit elsewhere. I suggest the draft forum that I lobbied to get for you deviants. 

Love it that you were so offended by draft posts you actually managed to pressure the powers that be into creating a separate forum for them.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I've no issue with "following the science" in principle, as long as it's good science drawn on consensus and has an end result in mind.  You know, like, everyone wears a mask.  That would seem to be good science based upon what's happening in Czechia.   Instead, our government has placed their reliance upon inaccurate statistical modelling, has abandoned contact tracing/testing (only to change their minds at a much later date) and asked us to sing happy birthday whilst washing our hands.  The UK government's response has been appalling and it shows in the death toll, which itself is played down and under reported.  They're a fucking shambles with an AWOL prime minister and I wish they'd all fuck right off.     

Right so it's government policy rather than the science that irks? That's understandable. If anything we're seeing mantra politics for all it's badness - a lack of forthright honesty from the Tories in a time of crisis, coupled with muddled policy direction delivered by largely unfeeling, incompetent divs (Sunak aside).

For what it's worth I genuinely think this government have peered into the abyss, completely shat themselves and ran around chanting "it'll be fine - we have a plan somewhere". When it most manifestly won't be 'fine': As they put the plan on a shelf to gather dust and went about getting Brexit 'done'. I hope I'm wrong, but the latest science tells us this wont be over for a very long time - if at all.

If anything now to government need to drop the act, front up and tell the people what needs to be said so society can prepare itself and have the necessary means to adjust and help those in need. Totally agree with your earlier calls for a government of national unity. These cunts playing party politics just doesn't wash. We need the best people in the best positions. Now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

There's a school of thought that this could be related to vitamin D deficiency. 

I think it is probably more related to the living-in-country-houses and having-the-ability-to-work-from-home deficiency.

As well as a strange penchant for living in overcrowded housing estates in the corona virus hotspots.

2 hours ago, mattyq said:

The FT guy thinks 25000 have died in care homes which is broadly in line with the deaths on the Continent

9 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Recorded COVID19 deaths in March was 1789.

Official deaths in March’19 was 44,946.

Official deaths in March’20 is 49,723.

Obviously won’t work out exactly, but I’d like to know these extra 3k deaths came from.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/monthlyfiguresondeathsregisteredbyareaofusualresidence

When you look at March’s deaths toll and a missing 3k, it not at all inconceivable that we’re nearer 50k deaths? Which would support the FT theory.

4 hours ago, TK421 said:

The modelling you keep citing was used to reflect the potential impact that a lockdown would have (going from around 500k to 20k). There is absolutely nothing, at all, to suggest that any of these people have lobbied for or against the use of masks.

There is, however, plenty to suggest that the poor deployment of testing measures is the responsibility of the government. Constantly spouting off about figures, removed from context and ignoring the fact the papers they come from are publicly available and quite open about their methods and limitations is essentially making excuses for the tories at this point (as their "following the science" all-purpose response shows, it's their tactic too).