You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

20 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Well I disagree with your basic premise. I don’t think the majority of people are anywhere near close to having had enough of lockdown, in fact in the UK the public is overwhelmingly in favour of extending the lockdown and also in favour of tightening the lockdown measures, and I think in a lot of counties in Europe that will be the same. 

Also I think some of the measures people would be in favour of being relaxed would be things like hairdressers and clothes shops opening up again and not things like reopening schools. Personally, if they reopened the schools here in May there is no way I would be sending my daughter back and I think that’s true for a large part of the population. 

UK is now the worst hit country in Europe and is lagging behind a week or two or three, so people are still scared, which is not surprising since the crisis has not exactly been managed well, coupled with surprisingly (to me at least) inept communication from the government.

I could easily fill the next two pages listing idiotic measures from other countries which make no sense or have no visible impact on the epidemic. Most of the measures beyond basic social distancing do not seem to work long term, it all just creates some general feeling we are doing something because we find it difficult to accept we are often helpless.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Just because you know fuck all about anything, don't assume everyone is as ignorant as you. Not that it stops you from commenting endlessly on the topic, hypocrite.

If you read the same scientific papers that I have read, and actually understood them, then perhaps we could have a discussion about it. It's not my fault you're thicker than mince.

Have a look at my comments. I’m not banding round facts fiction or otherwise. I’m not the one negging people for posting links to articles. I’m not the one showing zero compassion whilst trying to save face over calling the hysteria over coronovirus embarrassing. I’m not the one who tries to exert his “know it all never wrong” mind with his two bob degree over everyone. I’m not the one who claimed to never post anything that isn’t factual then ran off ignoring it when I too seconds to prove you wrong. I’m not the one who rang someone’s mum to get him sacked over a neg on a forum. I’m not you. Thank fuck. 

24 minutes ago, SasaS said:

UK is now the worst hit country in Europe and is lagging behind a week or two or three, so people are still scared, which is not surprising since the crisis has not exactly been managed well, coupled with surprisingly (to me at least) inept communication from the government.

I could easily fill the next two pages listing idiotic measures from other countries which make no sense or have no visible impact on the epidemic. Most of the measures beyond basic social distancing do not seem to work long term, it all just creates some general feeling we are doing something because we find it difficult to accept we are often helpless.

The countries who were proactive early on, the ones that "overreacted" now have some room to maneuver in terms of opening things up again. And there's an infrastructure of testing, contact tracing, large scale public protection in the form of masks in many of these places to keep up the good work. 

Paradoxically, the ones where politicians kept saying how under control things were and not to panic now have no other options but to force people to stay home. People say hindsight is 20:20 but it really wasn't in this case. 

The only thing that can save some of these places now is to find that there is a massive percentage of unfound cases. I mean, an astronomical number, and that's probably not that likely. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Elite said:

Yeah, it's a very strange coincidence to find out you have blood clots at exactly the same time as Covid. The doctors at the hospital did not link the two at all but as they learning more about the virus the links to blood clots are increasing, which is very worrying when it could kill you suddenly or give you a stroke which even if you survive it's very likely it'll lead to a brain injury. This is one fucked up virus.

I'm surprised they didn't link the clots and the virus, as there are loads of papers going back years on thrombotic issues in SARS patients.

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

How would that save them?

In theory, if they found say 50% of New York State was infected through serology testing, politicians could say, "look it's not that deadly, we're close to herd immunity, etc... we can open up" But chances are the number is not that great. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm surprised they didn't link the clots and the virus, as there are loads of papers going back years on thrombotic issues in SARS patients.

A saw about 6 different doctors, whoever was doing the rounds and not one mention of a link from any of them.

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

A saw about 6 different doctors, whoever was doing the rounds and not one mention of a link from any of them.

To be honest I wouldn't expect them to know at this stage, it was and is still new to them and frontline medics aren't used to this kind of wacky shit. I imagine some of the findings from various papers will start filtering down soon. Deffo run it past the quack though, if it was me I'd be on the blower to the GP as they might want to change your meds or maybe test you again. Could sell some of your plasma too on Ebay.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Harvard university took an 8 million relief grant despite being worth 40 billion dollars. 40 billion  dollar endowment a university that's nuts.

Trump's businesses in the UK and Ireland have applied to the furlough scheme, beat that one.

26 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

In theory, if they found say 50% of New York State was infected through serology testing, politicians could say, "look it's not that deadly, we're close to herd immunity, etc... we can open up" But chances are the number is not that great. 

Didn't Iceland say that 15% of their population had been infected and they only found out after the fact. Brought their fatality rate down to 0.37% and Germany too have found that a large number of people had it and didn't even know. 15% of Germany is 12million people. Brought down their fatality to 0.4%. Not a big enough sample of countries but those numbers are encouraging if bourne out around the rest of the world

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think most people here are past the saving face argument. Certainly there will be some (and it will ramp up in the coming months) but they will probably create their own "data" anyway.

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think most people here are past the saving face argument. Certainly there will be some (and it will ramp up in the coming months) but they will probably create their own "data" anyway.

1 person certainly isn't. 

31 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The countries who were proactive early on, the ones that "overreacted" now have some room to maneuver in terms of opening things up again. And there's an infrastructure of testing, contact tracing, large scale public protection in the form of masks in many of these places to keep up the good work. 

Paradoxically, the ones where politicians kept saying how under control things were and not to panic now have no other options but to force people to stay home. People say hindsight is 20:20 but it really wasn't in this case. 

The only thing that can save some of these places now is to find that there is a massive percentage of unfound cases. I mean, an astronomical number, and that's probably not that likely. 

There probably is, actually, I think New York is close to "herd immunity" and UK must be somewhere around 20% by now, northern Italy and parts of Spain are definitely almost there.  

The problem is, however early you reacted, the virus will not go away, it will return from some other country because economic and other necessity will make you open up and until it burns through enough of the population, it will not burn itself out. Countries that were lucky, with lower population density or lack of huge metropolitan areas or ability to quarantine millions of people no questions asked or more favourable average household numbers can now look good, but it will be either lockdown in and out hokey pokey or a whack-a-mole with hotspots until the vaccine is here, and this will most likely take 18 months or so.

10 minutes ago, SasaS said:

There probably is, actually, I think New York is close to "herd immunity" and UK must be somewhere around 20% by now, northern Italy and parts of Spain are definitely almost there.  

The problem is, however early you reacted, the virus will not go away, it will return from some other country because economic and other necessity will make you open up and until it burns through enough of the population, it will not burn itself out. Countries that were lucky, with lower population density or lack of huge metropolitan areas or ability to quarantine millions of people no questions asked or more favourable average household numbers can now look good, but it will be either lockdown in and out hokey pokey or a whack-a-mole with hotspots until the vaccine is here, and this will most likely take 18 months or so.

Even if this pans out like you say, and that's still a big "if", this is a cop out. Countries like Vietnam, Singapore, South Korea, etc... essentially put out the fire and will have the capacity to do so again. 

This conversation is about competence in Government. Just because New York State or the UK stumble into herd immunity after 100's of thousands die in a short period of time, it doesn't mean this was all a grand plan. And we know this because for example,  the UK panicked and locked things down when things got bad.

6 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Watching live coverage of protests in Virginia on Sky News at the moment.

Unfuckingbelievable.

Trump should be hanged by his limp fucking dick.

Just seen a report on sky news about one of the protesting states. In the intro the the video, the news reporter seemed genuinely worried when she said 'a lot of the protesters are carrying guns'.

Not sure what state it was but one of the protesters was wearing a badge proclaiming, 'guns save lives'.

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Just seen a report on sky news about one of the protesting states. In the intro the the video, the news reporter seemed genuinely worried when she said 'a lot of the protesters are carrying guns'.

Not sure what state it was but one of the protesters was wearing a badge proclaiming, 'guns save lives'.

One of them had a T-Shirt on with the logo 'Black Guns Matter.' (he wasn't white either)

Words fucking fail me.