You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Watching the news, this whole PPE and testing situation is bizarre. It's like nobody is in charge or is it really just the government saying one thing but wanting herd immunity. They reckon if we showed all deaths not just hospital ones we'd be second behind the US for worse hit. There's labs with thousands of kits ready for testing but they've nobody to use them on.

15 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Watching the news, this whole PPE and testing situation is bizarre. It's like nobody is in charge or is it really just the government saying one thing but wanting herd immunity. They reckon if we showed all deaths not just hospital ones we'd be second behind the US for worse hit. There's labs with thousands of kits ready for testing but they've nobody to use them on.

Yeah it will be the fault of scientists, supply chain managers, Turkey, wee guy in Chinese warehouse who mistook 200000 for 20000, unreliable testing kits, NHS chief executives , China and the WHO that caused herd immunity to be the only option available cause big pharma cannot get a vaccine on time. Anyway more important to get BREXIT done by December. 

They haven't a clue exactly what you get with a cabinet full of yes men/women rewarded with positions and portfolios  for their stance on BREXIT rather than ability. 

11 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I don’t understand. It’s linked to the DHSC. So the government is setting up fake profiles which criticise themselves to a minuscule amount of followers? Is that the assumption? It’s genuinely passing me by. 

If you read the thread there are 128 accounts purportedly NHS staff supporting the Government's herd immunity idea. Some of them appear to be using photographs of genuine staff who knew nothing about it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

What are people's take on the WHO? Their main input seems to be to 'urge caution.'

Who urges caution on vaccine hopes, who urges caution on lockdown lifting, who urges caution on antibody tests.

Is anyone coordinating the global scientific community or is it some kind of free for all with various academics competing with each other (perhaps even undermining each other, competition and one-upmanship is a big factor in academia, many like to wipe their arse on rivals' published papers.)

To paraphrase an ex squaddie who's moved into corporate middle management: I'm seeing a lot of talk about problems but no fucking solutions.

I just think they're in the blind on this one. 

Not exactly sure how it originated. 

Not exactly sure where it originated. 

Not exactly sure why certain people are asymptomatic. 

For the most part they seem in the dark about this and are just giving advise on what they think rather than know.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Aaaah, but there's so much more to the pump price than the cost of the oil (so I'm told and as you will be).

It's plummeted in the states, I work with someone who is American and his dad was saying it was down to 69 cents per gallon!

This seems to be an assumption based on limited data, but an interesting take.

https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/04/20/revealed-uk-ministers-knew-crisis-had-peaked-before-lockdown-but-panicked-anyway/

REVEALED: UK Ministers Knew Crisis Had Peaked Before Lockdown, But Panicked Anyway

Since March, 21WIRE has consistently said draconian lockdown measures being pushed by countries like the UK, France, US and Canada – were ill-informed and not at all necessary in order to ‘contain’ the coronavirus. Moreover, we have consistently stated across many media platforms that these were not science-based decisions either, but rather political decisions taken by government officials as part of a mass-panic, alongside a parallel roll-out of a broader authoritarian agenda. For this, our publication and its contributors were attacked and marginalised by other media outlets and pundits who insisted this was a ‘conspiracy theory’ and that we should accept the government’s rationale for unprecedented lockdown policies and the suspension of democracy and civil liberties. However, since then, a number of eminent experts have emerged who are also saying the same thing we were over the duration of this crisis.

Continues...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21st century wire 

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/21st-century-wire/

21st Century Wire is an alternative news website that rejects the consensus of science regarding climate change and also promotes the conspiracy that mainstream media is publishing fake news. This source has also received an unproven claim by Snopes, which 21st Century Wire considers a questionable source. The website Fort Liberty has placed 21st Century Wire on it’s Fake News/Hoax list. 21st Century employs somewhat sensational headlines and does provide sourcing to attempt to support claims, however most are to themselves. The primary issue is that 21st Century publishes some questionable stories (see examples above) that are embedded among legitimate stories they publish. This can mislead the reader.

A factual search reveals 21st Century Wire has a poor record with fact checkers. (D. Van Zandt 7/20/2016)

(Dennis Kelly): 21st Century Wire is a conspiracy and fake news website with an extreme right bias. Additionally, their headlines are sensationalist and largely misleading.

Their stories are non-sourced, with no links except to their own stories, and are little more than loosely associated facts tied together with broad conjecture and innuendo. When trying to research some of their claims myself I could find no corroboration from a credible source. Ironically, they are currently in a self proclaimed war against “Fake News”, and the site features several stories on the subject. These war on “fake news” stories, as with their other content, contain little fact and lots of conjecture, with links to their other stories instead of links to external sources. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

What are people's take on the WHO? Their main input seems to be to 'urge caution.'

Who urges caution on vaccine hopes, who urges caution on lockdown lifting, who urges caution on antibody tests.

Is anyone coordinating the global scientific community or is it some kind of free for all with various academics competing with each other (perhaps even undermining each other, competition and one-upmanship is a big factor in academia, many like to wipe their arse on rivals' published papers.)

To paraphrase an ex squaddie who's moved into corporate middle management: I'm seeing a lot of talk about problems but no fucking solutions.

I don't think they've been very good. Very late declaring a pandemic and were critical of countries halting inbound flights from infected areas.  Face mask advice also leaves a lot to be desired.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

21st century wire 

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/21st-century-wire/

21st Century Wire is an alternative news website that rejects the consensus of science regarding climate change and also promotes the conspiracy that mainstream media is publishing fake news. This source has also received an unproven claim by Snopes, which 21st Century Wire considers a questionable source. The website Fort Liberty has placed 21st Century Wire on it’s Fake News/Hoax list. 21st Century employs somewhat sensational headlines and does provide sourcing to attempt to support claims, however most are to themselves. The primary issue is that 21st Century publishes some questionable stories (see examples above) that are embedded among legitimate stories they publish. This can mislead the reader.

A factual search reveals 21st Century Wire has a poor record with fact checkers. (D. Van Zandt 7/20/2016)

(Dennis Kelly): 21st Century Wire is a conspiracy and fake news website with an extreme right bias. Additionally, their headlines are sensationalist and largely misleading.

Their stories are non-sourced, with no links except to their own stories, and are little more than loosely associated facts tied together with broad conjecture and innuendo. When trying to research some of their claims myself I could find no corroboration from a credible source. Ironically, they are currently in a self proclaimed war against “Fake News”, and the site features several stories on the subject. These war on “fake news” stories, as with their other content, contain little fact and lots of conjecture, with links to their other stories instead of links to external sources. 

That's fine, but you are playing the man not the ball. The ball is the quotes from Carl Heneghan.

28 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

This seems to be an assumption based on limited data, but an interesting take.

https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/04/20/revealed-uk-ministers-knew-crisis-had-peaked-before-lockdown-but-panicked-anyway/

REVEALED: UK Ministers Knew Crisis Had Peaked Before Lockdown, But Panicked Anyway

Since March, 21WIRE has consistently said draconian lockdown measures being pushed by countries like the UK, France, US and Canada – were ill-informed and not at all necessary in order to ‘contain’ the coronavirus. Moreover, we have consistently stated across many media platforms that these were not science-based decisions either, but rather political decisions taken by government officials as part of a mass-panic, alongside a parallel roll-out of a broader authoritarian agenda. For this, our publication and its contributors were attacked and marginalised by other media outlets and pundits who insisted this was a ‘conspiracy theory’ and that we should accept the government’s rationale for unprecedented lockdown policies and the suspension of democracy and civil liberties. However, since then, a number of eminent experts have emerged who are also saying the same thing we were over the duration of this crisis.

Continues...

So the government implemented the measures too late?

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

What will happen first the release of his book about paedophilia ( strange career turn for a succesful rock guitarist ) or an adequate amount of PPE finally emerges.

I hear he's been wanking into hospital scrubs.

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

What would be the others?

Well, I think the main thrust of the article, is that we had already reached the peak of the virus. Like I said, this assumption seems to me to be based on limited data, but it's worth considering the possibility.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

That's fine, but you are playing the man not the ball. The ball is the quotes from Carl Heneghan.

I didn't read any further than the source. The founder was a former Associate Editor at Infowars. Fuck reading far right conspiracy shite. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I didn't read any further than the source. The founder was a former Associate Editor at Infowars. Fuck reading far right conspiracy shite. 

I think that's a bit narrow minded with all due respect. If there are quotes, I will read anything and draw my own conclusions.