You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Moo said:

Out of interest, why was she tested? 

I may have missed you already answering this, apologies if so it's a fast moving thread. 

She's in a care home in Wales mate, they were all tested apparently (not sure if it's because someone had fallen ill). 

7 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Well, if your body doesn't need to fight it, presumably it doesn't build up the antibodies.

Those fucking limpet mine things on the virus, that was the mutation that made it able to travel between animals and humans and better 'fit' with the cells it needed to make its home in. Maybe something about those cells differs in people depending on their DNA and makes it harder for it to latch on to? 

I read a thing the other day that some people had only been getting a bad arse with it, it had somehow traveled through their body and ended up in their gut, presumably where it can't do as much damage as it can in the lungs.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Those fucking limpet mine things on the virus, that was the mutation that made it able to travel between animals and humans and better 'fit' with the cells it needed to make its home in. Maybe something about those cells differs in people depending on their DNA and makes it harder for it to latch on to? 

I read a thing the other day that some people had only been getting a bad arse with it, it had somehow traveled through their body and ended up in their gut, presumably where it can't do as much damage as it can in the lungs.

That's been very prevalent in youngsters apparently. My toddler had really bad GI and a temp of 38.3 and when my missus spoke to the doctor they said it was very likely Coronavirus.

I was talking to my GP mate who has recovered from the virus the other day and he thinks that coronavirus in humans doesn't traditionally mutate. If this follows suit then at least having had it would mean you are immune in the future.

He did also say that there are three strains though and only one of them has made it out of China. So three strains of a virus which doesn't traditionally mutate spontaneously transferred to humans at the same time in the same location in China. Apparently.

3 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

Make you own mind up about the motive and accuracy of what is on this link, but it's a more positive perspective for sure.

How many health professionals normally die on the job?? That one question blows the rest of his shit out the water. The fact he has titled it propaganda gives the game away, he takes the data to dig his argument.

bad science.

24 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Well, if your body doesn't need to fight it, presumably it doesn't build up the antibodies.

Ok, got you.  Not sure that is what happens really, as the body would recognise an invasive virus surely? And then react accordingly - which would be to produce antibodies.

If you weren’t infected = no antibodies. No symptoms but infected = still antibodies

Right?

16 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Sound judgment based on what?  You epidemiology or public health doctorate?  

Thing is, i slagged Stuart Downing off for years, several times yards from him, but I never once thought I knew more than him or was better than him. Some of the people on here actually think a bit of google and common sense makes them experts*.

*this doesn’t apply to the middle of the road degree from the middle of the road university that some people have. That’s obviously special. 

I do have a doctorate, but it's completely immaterial.

Sound judgement involves - among other things, in this context - the capacity to compare policy outcomes in different countries faced with the same challenge. The country governed by your negligent, incompetent sociopaths is demonstrably doing a pitifully bad job. Meanwhile those who govern it lie repeatedly about the fact and blame everyone else from the Chinese to the WHO to their own fucking heroic medical workers to abdicate any degree of responsibility.

You're evidently a selfish and stupid cunt which is why you can't exercise sound judgement here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

23 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Sound judgement involves - among other things, in this context - the capacity to compare policy outcomes in different countries faced with the same challenge. The country governed by your negligent, incompetent sociopaths is demonstrably doing a pitifully bad job. Meanwhile those who govern it lie repeatedly about the fact and blame everyone else from the Chinese to the WHO to their own fucking heroic medical workers to abdicate any degree of responsibility.

You're evidently a selfish and stupid cunt which is why you can't exercise sound judgement here.

Yes mate. I’m so stupid. I’ll give you selfish though, even more so after watching the fucking idiots out there over the last few weeks. 

A doctorate in epidemiology or public health? 

13 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Just think about the level of collusion that would be required to do any of that. Imagine that say for example the government of Cuba, who we are told have an amazing health service, how much would they want to show the world are superior. Or Russia. Or someone like Trump who could be the Man Who Saved the World. 

I find it absolutely astonishing the amount of nonsense the average person believes. 

It involves little collusion at all. Sales reps pushing doctors into prescribing certain medications and keeping those costs lower than the better stuff which is prohibitively more expensive to an NHS strapped for cash. I have suffered with digestive problems for years and know for a fact that medications available in certain countries could almost cure these problems but they aren't made available over here at all,largely due to cost. I'm sure other people with other medical problems face similar situations. Cheap,less useful medications versus expensive but highly effective options. What would almost any organisation choose?

21 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Haha, proper ownage. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It involves little collusion at all. Sales reps pushing doctors into prescribing certain medications and keeping those costs lower than the better stuff which is prohibitively more expensive to an NHS strapped for cash. I have suffered with digestive problems for years and know for a fact that medications available in certain countries could almost cure these problems but they aren't made available over here at all,largely due to cost. I'm sure other people with other medical problems face similar situations. Cheap,less useful medications versus expensive but highly effective options. What would almost any organisation choose?

So the drugs exist? They have been developed but they aren’t available as they are too expensive.  It’s tough on you but the NHS can’t buy every available drug. There has to be some accountability. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Is Murdoch pissed off because this is one issue that could actually fuck him over if he gets it.

He’ll be holed up in a hermetically sealed apartment like the They’re Creeping Up On You segment in Romero’s Creepshow.

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

That's been very prevalent in youngsters apparently. My toddler had really bad GI and a temp of 38.3 and when my missus spoke to the doctor they said it was very likely Coronavirus.

I was talking to my GP mate who has recovered from the virus the other day and he thinks that coronavirus in humans doesn't traditionally mutate. If this follows suit then at least having had it would mean you are immune in the future.

He did also say that there are three strains though and only one of them has made it out of China. So three strains of a virus which doesn't traditionally mutate spontaneously transferred to humans at the same time in the same location in China. Apparently.

I watched an interview with a scientist in Cambridge this morning. His team identified the three strains. He described it as A - bat related and seemingly the most common outside of Wuhan province in China, B - most common among cases in Wuhan, and C - most common outside China. He said this was surprising as it casts doubt on the theory it jumped species from bats in Wuhan.

EDIT: Brief article but covers it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/english.alarabiya.net/en/amp/coronavirus/2020/04/14/Coronavirus-has-3-strains-2nd-mutation-is-the-one-first-found-in-Wuhan-Scientists

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

That's pretty odd isn't it.

We seem to have gone from a normal cycle of ordinary bouts of illness spreading through millions in the country, to suddenly every single fucking temperature is 'probably C19'.

Really Dr?  I mean, REALLY?  You're going with that?

• Like 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Anubis said:

He’ll be holed up in a hermetically sealed apartment like the They’re Creeping Up On You segment in Romero’s Creepshow.

I hope he gets the shits and his family are hiding the bog roll from the Right wing scruff.