You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 hours ago, TK421 said:

All they do is make up numbers (100,000 tests) and use soundbites.  "Protect the NHS", "save lives", "follow the science".  Three or four words at most and repeat them enough for the dumb public to lap it up.  

Worked for them in GE why change ? And unfortunately the praise they are getting for a job well done and commentary like no one else could have done a better job and good old Boris it would seem they are going to come out of this relatively unscathed popularity wise. 

Could you imagine Gove as a leader of a country! He looks like a Rubber glove filled with hand sanitizer. The best thing he's done in his entire political career is slide on some dogshit, even then there's a debate on which slid on what first. 

There's no way a man who looks like he's constantly doing his best not to float out of camera shot should be in charge of anything other than general ceiling maintenance work. No thank you! Fuck off... right off!

Only realised today that Cummings probably would've been Gove's chief of staff when he couldn't even grasp the flaw of his own 'meritocratic' policy of punishing 'below average' schools.

Maybe one of them should've written a blog about it. 

28 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

Make you own mind up about the motive and accuracy of what is on this link, but it's a more positive perspective for sure.

Its a more positive perspective but its not a medical or scientific perspective. Its never more clear than when you get to point 20 and it starts talking about Edward Snowden. 

Its a political piece so take it for what it is. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Its a more positive perspective but its not a medical or scientific perspective. Its never more clear than when you get to point 20 and it starts talking about Edward Snowden. 

Yes, by the end of it I was starting to feel like we were veering towards those loons with assault rifles and placards saying "I kneed a harecut".

I sincerely hope all the stuff at the start about death rates and asymptomatic cases is true.

38 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

A lot of it is referencing studies. Selectively maybe, but its not true to say that it is not scientific.

15 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

It's pretty disingenuous to raise Sweden as an argument for lockdowns not being effective, given the low population density and the fairly important fact that their methods have been the least effective of the Scandinavian countries.

Look at the date of the article. Obviously this has been proven to be incorrect since that date. It would be more disingenuous to remove that article now.

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Look at the date of the article. Obviously this has been proven to be incorrect since that date. It would be more disingenuous to remove that article now.

But it was always a massive reach, and was frankly a nonsensical argument (that somehow not restricting people's contact with others would not lead to people transmitting the virus to more people) — just suggests an agenda to me that pervades much of the rest of what is in that article.

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Be interesting to see where this Murdoch/Cummings spat leads. Imagine the kind of kompromat Murdoch's winged monkeys will have on him and Johnson going back years? 

Obviously I'd prefer it wasn't all happening during a global pandemic. 

Any articles about this anywhere?

Everyone is dismissive of the SWPRS stuff, and I get that it's propaganda, but apart from the stuff on Sweden, a lot of it is linked to actual studies. I'm not sure why everyone is so keen for this virus to be the worst virus it can be. I'm not suggesting we all go swapping spit with strangers, but it might be worth considering the low side as well as the high side. Y'know, just being optimistic and that!

18 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Any articles about this anywhere?

Everyone is dismissive of the SWPRS stuff, and I get that it's propaganda, but apart from the stuff on Sweden, a lot of it is linked to actual studies. I'm not sure why everyone is so keen for this virus to be the worst virus it can be. I'm not suggesting we all go swapping spit with strangers, but it might be worth considering the low side as well as the high side. Y'know, just being optimistic and that!

I agree. 

One of the things that's struck me is how difficult it is to get dispassionate, fact-based stories that cover the whole issue rather than individual facets of it that seem largely to be driven by emotion. It's becoming bogged down in the usual Fox/CNNification of planet Earth, you're either defined as a flat earther who values money over people, or a hysterical fanny that grasses on people for going to the park. 

I don't read the Guardian or Independent these days because it's basically just one person's 'take of the day'. They get a vid of a doctor or a boffin from somewhere and use a quote to make the headline. 'Coronavirus around for decades!!!!' .....says bloke from university of Reading. 

All well and good, but what I'd like to see are proper stories covering the whole thing from high in the sky, with practical discussions of how we get out of all this. Selfie videos of people banging frying pans of appreciation for bin men just isn't doing the trick for me. 

• Upvote 5