You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, Lario said:

Code, what are those columns?

Positive Cases       Cases per 100k       Total Deaths      Deaths Per 100k

Yes, that is correct.

Tyskland = Germany

The others should be understandable.

Could any of these outbreaks,not just Covid 19 but SARS and mutations of the common flu strains,be attributed to an overall lack of Research and Development within the medical and pharmaceutical industry? Surely these companies are not immune from the 'buy,streamline and flip/sell' culture that seems prevalent nowadays? R and D would not exactly take precedent under these conditions I assume?

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Could any of these outbreaks,not just Covid 19 but SARS and mutations of the common flu strains,be attributed to an overall lack of Research and Development within the medical and pharmaceutical industry? Surely these companies are not immune from the 'buy,streamline and flip/sell' culture that seems prevalent nowadays? R and D would not exactly take precedent under these conditions I assume?

It's a good point, it's no coincidence that all the diseases wiped out by mass vaccination programmes in Britain were administered by the state. Don't even have school nurses checking for nits these days.

The drugs industry is terrible for only pursuing treatment drugs rather than cures because it creates ongoing revenue (big money in cancer drugs for that reason). 

That's why they're not that arsed about new antibiotics, because they're a cure not a treatment. 

In eastern Europe they used something called phages for treating infections because antibiotics were hard to come by in the USSR, they're like a type of targeted virus that kills bacteria. People still go from the USA to places like Tibilisi for treatment on 'untreatable' MRSA and the likes. 

Drugs companies over here won't touch it because they're naturally occurring and so can't be patented.

If there was an asteroid heading for earth, rather than build a missile to shoot it down, the private sector would rather sell us underground shelters and disposable masks and thermal coats for the fallout.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Private sector in Germany proved to be very useful in boosting testing capacity. 

Different business culture though I'd say. Still a lot of national pride tied up in German companies (same with Japan), the credit crunch started in London and New York, not Frankfurt and Tokyo. 

There's capitalism, and there's transatlantic capitalism. It's like comparing Hilary Jones to Harold Shipman.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Different business culture though I'd say. Still a lot of national pride tied up in German companies (same with Japan), the credit crunch started in London and New York, not Frankfurt and Tokyo. 

There's capitalism, and there's transatlantic capitalism. It's like comparing Hilary Jones to Harold Shipman.

Also, a quick search would suggest that R&D spending in the pharmaceutical industry does not appear to be decreasing, quite the contrary, over the past decades.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The drugs industry is terrible for only pursuing treatment drugs rather than cures because it creates ongoing revenue (big money in cancer drugs for that reason). 

That's why they're not that arsed about new antibiotics, because they're a cure not a treatment. 

If there was an asteroid heading for earth, rather than build a missile to shoot it down, the private sector would rather sell us underground shelters and disposable masks and thermal coats for the fallout.

This is what I was trying to say a couple of nights ago and why I believe this virus will never be fully eradicated. Why fully cure something when you can just find a drug to suppress the symptoms ? Money talks for the drug companies and if a few people die along the way like they do with flu, well so what. There's a steady supply of people to take up the slack.

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

This is what I was trying to say a couple of nights ago and why I believe this virus will never be fully eradicated. Why fully cure something when you can just find a drug to suppress the symptoms ? Money talks for the drug companies and if a few people die along the way like they do with flu, well so what. There's a steady supply of people to take up the slack.

So now there’s a conspiracy to not find a cure for cancer?  Despite people who work in pharmaceutical companies dying from cancer.  And all the doctors and scientists are in on it? 

I despair.