You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Manny said:

You see I do have the slightest shred of sympathy for the government on mass people management issues like lockdowns and so on as they're tricky to implement and maintain (not to say I don't think they've handled it appallingly because they have, but I can at least see that as a nuanced issue).

But the lack of PPE in the NHS is a proper full-on scandal - all it amounts to is fucking production and supply, and they've had fucking weeks to get right. Running out in hospitals is an absolute disgrace and completely and utterly unacceptable. In any sane country it would be the kind of ignominious crime that would bury a government and their legacy and make them unelectable for a generation but in this nuthouse? They'll probably blame it on the EU and a load of S*n-brainwashed knuckle-draggers will give them an increased majority in a snap election or something.

I think it is even worse how the UK media has handled it. One thing is that governments try to cover their own arses, that is what politicians do. But the media not being there to take them to task is fucking shocking. This should be on every front page, every single of these sham briefings, they should be held to task for how poorly they are doing. And you see nothing. Love him or hate him at least that cunt Piers Morgan has gone after them, where so many has not. The frankly absolutely appalling media you have in the UK, is a very big reason why this isn't being brought up and why the government isn't being brought to task and why nothing is really being done. Contrast this to for instance the US, CNN has absolutely lambasted and scrutinised every single decision that Trump does. I don't see the same thing happening in the UK. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I don't know. They absolutely should.

55% of deaths in Ireland in nursing homes...

My sister's boyfriend's father passed away yesterday from it. He's been in poor health and housed in a home for years. It's where most deaths in the State are going to come from by the looks of it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Em City said:

My sister's boyfriend's father passed away yesterday from it. He's been in poor health and housed in a home for years. It's where most deaths in the State are going to come from by the looks of it.

Almost 10% of all cases are nurses. When we come out on the other side of this crisis, I expect we will see many health care professionals re-evaluate their choice in line of work. I worry we could see many leave the profession afterwards, due to the pay they receive compared to the cost on their health this pandemic has caused and we will see a huge shortage of qualified people wanting to take up jobs here.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

Almost 10% of all cases are nurses. When we come out on the other side of this crisis, I expect we will see many health care professionals re-evaluate their choice in line of work. I worry we could see many leave the profession afterwards, due to the pay they receive compared to the cost on their health this pandemic has caused and we will see a huge shortage of qualified people wanting to take up jobs here.

27% of deaths in Ireland are healthcare workers. Terrifying...

10 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

The unique Swedish response has produced the worst results in the Nordic countries so far.

Yup, he is an advisor to the Swedish government and they have by far the worst amount of people dying from this virus in the Nordics. The number 1 priority should always be on saving people and their lives. Then we can worry about all the rest afterwards. That there are people out there, where this doesn't seem to be the case, one would be the idiot hosting these unherd shows, is frankly moronic in itself and these people shouldn't be even brought up as something to look at or read about. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

That's what I've thought even before this. They risk their lives, get tons of abuse off the general public if working in A&E, have hospital administration on their backs and ridiculous amounts of stress put on them. They get shit pay and have debts from their studying days. 

I know a few people who have left the police because of the shit pay and conditions added to the pressure.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Remember when fuckwits were getting arrested for posting on Facebook things like "yeah lets brick Boots windows in Lytham St Annes High St" when the riots were going on? 

Yeah well that orange cunt is instructing maniacs with guns to liberate a fucking whole state over their right to own guns during a time of global crisis where thousands upon thousands of people are dying every single day. 

The more I see of the way humans act the more I think coronorvirus isn't an accident. 

The stupid fucking cunt 

Where's a Lee Harvey Oswald type character when you need one (and all the others who were involved in it).

3 hours ago, Manny said:

the lack of PPE in the NHS is a proper full-on scandal 

"The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has reviewed the options outlined in this document. Where there are acute shortages of PPE, and where it is safe to do so, it approves the sessional and reuse of PPE," Public Health England said in a statement Friday. 

Certainly people were already doing that 

36 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

The unique Swedish response has produced the worst results in the Nordic countries so far.

I think it shows we’ve got all the options covered, hard trace and isolate in South Korea, various levels of lockdown in Europe and then a looser strategy in Sweden.  This fella seems to think it doesn’t matter which you chose.  Only time will tell. 

37 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

23 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

Yup, he is an advisor to the Swedish government and they have by far the worst amount of people dying from this virus in the Nordics. The number 1 priority should always be on saving people and their lives. Then we can worry about all the rest afterwards. That there are people out there, where this doesn't seem to be the case, one would be the idiot hosting these unherd shows, is frankly moronic in itself and these people shouldn't be even brought up as something to look at or read about. 

He addresses this round 13:00, he argues that Finland wasn't really hit that hard from the beginning , Denmark isn't doing any better and that Norway's numbers are due to smaller care homes, so they managed to contain it better when it breached the defences.

His main argument is that in the end, all numbers would be roughly the same level, countries that are in lockdown will have to open up to where Sweden is now and they will experience a rise in numbers. He also said Sweden could have done much more to protect the care homes, closed them down sooner and trained staff better.

He is a bit scary though.

Interesting interview.

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

He addresses this round 13:00, he argues that Finland wasn't really hit that hard from the beginning , Denmark isn't doing any better and that Norway's numbers are due to smaller care homes, so they managed to contain it better when it breached the defences.

His main argument is that in the end, all numbers would be roughly the same level, countries that are in lockdown will have to open up to where Sweden is now and they will experience a rise in numbers. He also said Sweden could have done much more to protect the care homes, closed them down sooner and trained staff better.

Interesting interview.

The figures likely will even out over time- unless we find an effective vaccine or treatment in the near future- but I thought the whole point of the lockdown was to prevent the health service being overwhelmed, along with a potential breakdown of society, which would end up costing far more than the lockdown would. One for the actuaries, I guess.

31 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Interesting interview.

> He addresses this round 13:00, he argues that Finland wasn't really hit that hard from the beginning , Denmark isn't doing any better and that Norway's numbers are due to smaller care homes, so they managed to contain it better when it breached the defences.

That isn't really addressing it though, that is just flat out lying. We already had the Denmark v. Sweden debate yesterday or the day before and the numbers aren't lying. Sweden is doing much worse than they should. There are lots of reasons for it, but one of the big ones is his advice. He is covering his arse and I would really hope that the media takes him to task over this. That is what the media is there for, to not let someone like him get away with this.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

That isn't really addressing it though, that is just flat out lying. We already had the Denmark v. Sweden debate yesterday or the day before and the numbers aren't lying. Sweden is doing much worse than they should. There are lots of reasons for it, but one of the big ones is his advice. He is covering his arse and I would really hope that the media takes him to task over this. That is what the media is there for, to not let someone like him get away with this.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, he addresses the issue of comparison with other Nordic countries and you can do that by lying. He is not the main guy, he is the former guy he is now retired and only advising them, but from the same school.

There are things I would have asked him, because there are same holes in his story, on the other hand, looking at what is happening and following several countries closely, it is difficult not to see that lockdown or no lockdown, it seems to depend a lot on how exposed the particular country was in the first place and what is the pre-existing situation, population density, how people react. For example, if you compare the measures in Lombardy, or New York state and Sweden, Swedes look much better without closing down schools, bars and restaurants etc., they still have relatively steady numbers. In some countries, the stricter the measures the bigger the numbers, almost as if it really makes not much difference, as long as you can protect the care homes and hospitals.

He thinks we would have reacted the same if we encountered the flu for the first time, but that, since influenza is a disease we know, and this is something new, we are a bit irrational, plus there is a need for politicians to position themselves as firm, capable of responding. He also thinks half of the population may have had it already, which, again, I don't understand, because why are the deaths coming in greater numbers only after 3 or 4 weeks.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

A Chicago hospital treating severe Covid-19 patients with Gilead Sciences' antiviral medicine remdesivir in a closely watched clinical trial is seeing rapid recoveries in fever and respiratory symptoms, with nearly all patients discharged in less than a week, STAT has learned.

giphy (1).gif

I think this has been out there since pretty much the start. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0282-0