You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

26 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

If May and Hammond had been in government I'm in no doubt they'd have let lots of businesses close, no way they'd have unleashed the kind of stimulus/safety net Johnson and Sunak have. It goes against everything they stand for, Johnson on the other hand stands for nothing.

Agree completely , dislike them both but May was far more ideology driven and would have been happy with a dystopian country  while Johnson just wants to be seen as a hero.

21 minutes ago, Grinch said:

There's ten dead in my a small local care home to me. 

I'd say it's the same story up and down the UK,  none of this are counted in the official death toll either. 

14 out of 56 residents near me . Carnage. As you say death toll hospitals only could maybe explain the insistence in getting untested patients out of hospital into care homes. Forget about the failed herd immunity thoughts what they did with those patients is bordering on a criminal act.

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

A Chicago hospital treating severe Covid-19 patients with Gilead Sciences' antiviral medicine remdesivir in a closely watched clinical trial is seeing rapid recoveries in fever and respiratory symptoms, with nearly all patients discharged in less than a week, STAT has learned.

giphy (1).gif

TLDR - Drug maybe good. Maybe no good. Some fucker gonna make lots money in 12hrs.

I know we need all the good news we can get at this stage, and last thing i want is to piss on anyones chips, but something doesn't sit right with the timing of that information being released. Gilead themselves are urging caution and advising not to read too much into it yet. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealTianZeng/status/1250979087079878656

"Gilead spokesman Chris Ridley said in an emailed statement to Barron’s that the company expects data from its Phase 3 study in patients with severe Covid-19 infections to be available at the end of April, with additional data from other studies coming in May.

“We understand the urgent need for a COVID-19 treatment and the resulting interest in data on our investigational antiviral drug remdesivir,” Ridley said. “The totality of the data need to be analyzed in order to draw any conclusions from the trial. Anecdotal reports, while encouraging, do not provide the statistical power necessary to determine the safety and efficacy profile of remdesivir as a treatment for COVID-19.”

Gilead shares have gained 17.8% in 2020, as investors bet on remdesivir’s potential as a Covid-19 treatment."

16 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Agree completely , dislike them both but May was far more ideology driven and would have been happy with a dystopian country  while Johnson just wants to be seen as a hero.

Agreed as well. It’s Hammond I’d be worried about even more than May, he’d absolutely just let businesses shut down and put everyone on universal credit. No doubt about it.