You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

29 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

My uncle just died. He had lung cancer and caught the virus. In a way it is probably better for him rather than a few more years of treatment dragging out the inevitable. 

It's going to be tough not being able to give him a send off though.

Very sorry for your loss.

5 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Shits me up this stuff now. I worry.

I am not sleeping so good.

Everything I read makes me more low. I am really hoping for some positive news soon.

Know the feeling well , I live  on a small island where things should be easy to control but still the worry is always there . Constantly .

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

My uncle just died. He had lung cancer and caught the virus. In a way it is probably better for him rather than a few more years of treatment dragging out the inevitable. 

So sorry to hear this 

13 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Everything I read makes me more low. I am really hoping for some positive news soon.

Honestly try not to read too much, especially just before bed.

Hope you’re ok.

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

That’s a bollox fella, my deepest condolences. 

Seems counterintuitive to like/upvote your post, but don’t know what else to do. 

Coronavirus is fucking shit. 

27 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Yeah I'm normally level headed and reasonable, but my six year old daughter has a cough which is getting worse. I'm sure it's 'just' a cough but she was coughing loads last night and had a temperature (better today) but last night I was basically awake from 4.30am and you just have really mad and bad thoughts - thinking all the worst things that could happen. 

Christ, how did it come to this? 

This is going to sound awful, but if Johnson had died maybe people would take this more seriously. People are off on trips and bike rides and parties and all sorts of fucking shit like it's a big holiday. 

I posted about three weeks ago that I wished everything was back to normal. Well, it's still not! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Really sorry to read that, to have two things of that nature to deal with at the same time is really messed up. I can see what you mean though about him no longer having to suffer for whatever little that's worth, and hope you're doing ok yourself as well.

@Jennings agreed with suzy that you might be best limiting how much you read. I've been reading too much as well lately and a couple of the only things that keep me sane when on the internet is that I often go off to gaming websites and/or look around more randomly on twitter where I can find other stuff to read inbetween looking at this. Following people with a good sense of humour has helped too, I think being able to still have a laugh at times is really important right now to stave off depressive/anxious feelings.

If it's getting too much though definitely leave the net for a bit and read something else, watch tv/film, play games if you do that too, or whatever else you can find to do for a while because this can be like a gloom that sucks you in if you don't get away from it regularly. It can get more hackable to deal with if you get in the habit of having breaks from it too, even if the negative stuff does still flare up from time to time.

And also like suzy said avoid before bed. My main reason for this is because when tired reading about this is more likely to start up negative feelings including depression/anxiety and even anger because of the way this has been dealt with.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

This is going to sound awful, but if Johnson had died maybe people would take this more seriously. People are off on trips and bike rides and parties and all sorts of fucking shit like it's a big holiday.

At least the vast majority of people are taking it seriously and with the way it's getting worse those idiots will lessen soon too with any luck. Even if Johnson had gone though there'd still be idiots doing their own thing, some people simply don't give a shit regardless of what happens.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah I'm normally level headed and reasonable, but my six year old daughter has a cough which is getting worse. I'm sure it's 'just' a cough but she was coughing loads last night and had a temperature (better today) but last night I was basically awake from 4.30am and you just have really mad and bad thoughts - thinking all the worst things that could happen. 

hope your young'un is ok mate.

• Upvote 1

The absolute state of this article from the BBC on March 13th.  How Patrick Vallance can sleep at night I'll never know.  The bit I've quoted really stood out.  Here we are one month later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51865915

The UK government's health advisers are working on the assumption that Britain will not see infection rates peak for up to three months.

Some good news for @Jennings

I made some incredible scalloped potatoes for Easter dinner, the best I have ever made. I fried six strips of stripey bacon and  put a sharp old cheddar cheddar cheese (is there any other kind) into the roux. 

Heavy cream as well. 

Take solace that miracles

can happen as i have fucked them up before.

Also hand cut the spuds, I am anti-mandolin. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

On 12/04/2020 at 08:40, TheBitch said:

Can I forward this on calling people   (Tory government) cunts,  safe in the knowledge that it’s for reals or do I have to spend my own time checking it’s validity. 

I think he was running screenings of it in the run up to the election if it’s from his last film. 
well worth a follow on Twitter, he’s a boss journalist,

old school, written some excellent books Secret Country on Australia is particularly good.

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

It has nothing to do with me - it is a fact. A more robust system would spend by far the bulk of their funds on infrastructure - which includes (doctors, beds, ventilators) everything mentioned except PPE. That is a disposable item, like a syringe, bog roll or a paper plate in the cafeteria. 

Acknowledging that in no way suggests there is not an acute shortage.

You may well spend more budget on the big items, however there is no doubt that hospital managers will have been advised to keep such disposable items at a bare minimum, In order to reduce storage space, and because supply chain provisioning means there will never be an issues. Which is of course bollocks, it will have been yet more opportunity to trim budgets.