You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

21 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Are you serious?? Masks are a global supply chain.

You think the thing to focus on in "10 years of the gutting of the NHS" is the current shortage of facemasks?!

20 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It never would though -- in the best of times (read unlimited funds)  you would never have 50 fold of supplies of anything. It doesn't make sense.

I am talking in relation to Exercise Cygnus. 

This predicted that within 7 weeks of a pandemic starting there would be a shortage of PPE. As the government have refused to publish the findings, I can not be certain but a very simple way to negate running short of PPE would be to have more in stock. The fact that approx 7 weeks in (mid Feb to Apr) we are short leads me to believe the the recommendations were ignored. 

This to me is in direct relevance to the deliberate underfunding of the NHS. The report said we could not cope in a pandemic, the government decided it wasn't important to spend that money making sure we could cope.

There is always a balance between supply stock piling and wasted cash flow. Obviously we have more than one day's worth of PPE in store but don't appear to have seven weeks worth, so somewhere in between. Government either decided a pandemic was never coming, despite all predictions, or if it did they knew we couldn't cope but it was not deemed a priority.

When NY major was asking Trump for more PPE, Trump's reply was you have thousands in a warehouse why complain. Mayor was that is back up and once supplies run out we will need that. That seems perfectly logical to me.

4 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

When NY major was asking Trump for more PPE, Trump's reply was you have thousands in a warehouse why complain. Mayor was that is back up and once supplies run out we will need that. That seems perfectly logical to me.

Cuomo bought masks on the open market and was criticized for it.

Trump's further reply was, we don't have any - cuz there wasn't any.

Kind of like getting a text from your mother three weeks ago asking if you could pick her up some bog roll on the way home.

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Cuomo bought masks on the open market and was criticized for it.

Trump's further reply was, we don't have any - cuz there wasn't any.

Kind of like getting a text from your mother three weeks ago asking if you could pick her up some bog roll on the way home.

My apologies, in was in relation to ventilator stock piling not PPE, but the same principle

You stockpile for when there is a shortage, not to use on a daily basis;

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/27/politics/cuomo-trump-incorrect-and-grossly-uninformed/index.html

(CNN)Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo slammed President Donald Trump for his call to distribute federal ventilators the state had in storage as the two leaders' war of words over the coronavirus pandemic escalates.

Cuomo argued that the ventilators were stored in preparation for when New York hospitals exceed their capacity as the state has become the epicenter of the American coronavirus outbreak. Cuomo told CNN on Friday that Trump's assessment of the situation "incorrect and grossly uninformed."
"Of course we didn't -- that's the whole point," Cuomo said. "The hospitals don't need them yet. The hospitals aren't at their apex. The hospitals have enough ventilators today, but their numbers are going up."
    Cuomo added that his office was planning for a peak in cases "in about 21 days -- that's when we need the 30,000 ventilators, not today."
    "So the point is, 'well they're in a stockpile, you must not need them' is just ignorant -- of course you don't need them today!" Cuomo continued. "You need them when you hit the apex, which is 30,000. We're not there yet."

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

It is fucking bollocks isn’t it. Every answer drags on and on to the point nobody gives a shit what is being said, although it’ll be shite anyway. 

I’m sick of hearing “If we keep lockdown / practising social distancing, it’s the public’s responsibility and it’s up to them to get us through this quicker”.

While true, just fuck off. IMO, it just a smacks of blaming the public if death tolls are beyond excessively excessive. Lockdown etc isn’t perfect but where I live, I think people are doing the best they can. There will be some not adhering to it but I’m sure that’s the same everywhere, it’s never going to be 100% perfect. 

How about the government sorts out it’s fucking testing, so like Germany, those who are clear start going on with the rest of their lives and those with the virus can continue to isolate. 

This isn’t the public’s fault, it’s the governments bullshit response. 

Absolutely spot on that. I've been saying this myself, in fact was moaning at the missus about it during today's press conference. They are shaping everything to take zero responsibility out of the back of this. 

53 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Haven’t those face masks got a ‘use by’ date on them?

I knew I had read it somewhere;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-52025950

A GP has criticised the practice of giving doctors surgical masks with expiry dates that have passed.

Dr Kate Jack said doctors felt "like cannon fodder" after discovering the paper masks had expired in 2016.

A box delivered to her Nottingham surgery had a 2021 label placed over the original date of 2016.

The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) said equipment underwent "stringent tests" and was given a "new shelf-life" where appropriate.

"I don't feel protected at the moment," said Dr Jack, a GP of 22 years.

Expiry date covered on boxes

A DHSC spokesman said all protective equipment for GPs was safe and "would effectively protect staff".

He added that NHS Supply Chain and Public Health England worked with manufacturers to test products and consider extending their life.

"The products that pass these stringent tests are subject to relabelling with a new shelf-life as appropriate and can continue to be used. All that are not up to standard will be destroyed."

35 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I knew I had read it somewhere;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-52025950

A GP has criticised the practice of giving doctors surgical masks with expiry dates that have passed.

Dr Kate Jack said doctors felt "like cannon fodder" after discovering the paper masks had expired in 2016.

A box delivered to her Nottingham surgery had a 2021 label placed over the original date of 2016.

The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) said equipment underwent "stringent tests" and was given a "new shelf-life" where appropriate.

"I don't feel protected at the moment," said Dr Jack, a GP of 22 years.

Expiry date covered on boxes

A DHSC spokesman said all protective equipment for GPs was safe and "would effectively protect staff".

He added that NHS Supply Chain and Public Health England worked with manufacturers to test products and consider extending their life.

"The products that pass these stringent tests are subject to relabelling with a new shelf-life as appropriate and can continue to be used. All that are not up to standard will be destroyed."

These fuckers couldnt make their contempt for people any clearer.

From the Guardian... what a grim situation we're all in. 

France is the only country in Europe to have exceeded 980 deaths in day. But unlike the UK, France includes care home deaths in its figures. France, Spain and Italy have all recorded more total deaths than the UK’s tally for hospital deaths but those countries appear to be past the peak of the outbreak, while the UK’s figures are expected to continue to rise for at least two more weeks.

This should be a key part of any future inquiry :

“There’s going to be a point, assuming the epidemic flows and grows as it will do, where you want to cocoon, to protect those at-risk groups so they don’t catch the disease,” Halpern said. “By the time they come out of their cocooning, herd immunity has been achieved in the rest of the population.”

On 13 March, the government’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, defended the existing approach and said that building up some form of herd immunity, by having potentially 60% of the population (40 million people) contract Covid-19, was one of the “key things we need to do”.

Hancock made his public denials the following day.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/12/documents-contradict-uk-government-stance-on-covid-19-herd-immunity

9 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Jesus.  Fucking.  Christ.  

what are the Drs names?   

You’ve had a shocker this week.  Put this in the bin with Corbyn’s £10k donation. 

I didn't say it was definitely true, Boris has no previous on dishonesty has he?

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I didn't say it was definitely true, Boris has no previous on dishonesty has he?

Ha ha. What a load of bollocks. 

you need to change your twitter feed, stop believing everything you read or stop posting pissed. Or all three. 

6 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

He must have a little dick

I know the links a joke but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if there was fuck all wrong with the bed blocking cunt, should have taken a couple of dozen paracetamol and fucked off to bed.

• Upvote 1
    • Downvote 1

Just now, Rico1304 said:

Ha ha. What a load of bollocks. 

you need to change your twitter feed, stop believing everything you read or stop posting pissed. Or all three. 

Havnt got a twitter feed; dont believe anything I read and and ...you got me on the last one

• Upvote 1