You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is more insidious than that - it is based on a calculation of who is going to die.

And taking it to extremes of (non) government (economy first, defence second healthcare down the line ) the who is painfully visible for all to see in the pictures coming out of New York. Need to post the Emily Mathis synopsis again will dig it out.

40 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Good ol Andy Marr. He just had.a women from the sun on reviewing the papers and they started with good old boris and ended by having a good old chuckle at how backward tin pot countries are dealing with the virus.

Aunties coverage has been shockingly myopic, at times dangerously so.

It’s almost like they’re towing the party line through fear of losing its funding...

Just found out my mate's father died yesterday, a week after developing symptoms. He was put in isolation so my mate couldn't go near him and had to watch his dad die through the window. Horrendous beyond words.

He was also in a care home so another 'invisible' death the government can pretend didn't happen.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jenson said:

Just found out my mate's father died yesterday, a week after developing symptoms. He was put in isolation so my mate couldn't go near him and had to watch his dad die through the window. Horrendous beyond words.

He was also in a care home so another 'invisible' death the government can pretend didn't happen.

Horrible. Condolences to your friend.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Aunties coverage has been shockingly myopic, at times dangerously so.

It’s almost like they’re towing the party line through fear of losing its funding...

Yes I've seen a biased BBC all my life but the bias in the past few years is beyond belief. 

On the weekend the uk death toll hits 1 0.000  The governments approval rating leaps to a whopping 61%.

44 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Anybody else think these  corrupt Tory cunts are deliberately keeping the numbers below the  1000 mark .

Of course they are but fudging the numbers is pretty much universal. Not that it's an excuse.

34 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

When Italy was at its worst we were shown how terrible it was and the suffering and trauma.  Now everyday we are given a terrible number but told its all OK boris is on the mend

I was thinking this myself recently.

This thing is being stage managed magnificently.

10 hours ago, TK421 said:

I don't understand why the rules on scrutinising the expenses are relaxed.  Shouldn't there be more accountability during a pandemic when resources are limited?  If some of those funds could be freed up for PPE it would be better.  No need to spend the whole £10k. 

Second part of that is tabloid bullshit but the first part is spot on. They're should be virtually none of the usual expenses so why why relax scrutiny on them?

25 minutes ago, No2 said:

Second part of that is tabloid bullshit but the first part is spot on. They're should be virtually none of the usual expenses so why why relax scrutiny on them?

Is it because the people who check the validity of expenses are also off sick, WFH and that as soon as they are back in work they’ll do the necessary checks?  

we have to submit receipts for our expenses.  During all of this we won’t and the electronic form will be enough. Once it’s done we’ll be expected to provide the physical receipts.  

I'm truly amazed how many people have the energy to discuss something so trivial and ephemeral as an expense allowance for MP's offices for 2 (or is it 3 already?) days now in the middle of the biggest health crisis in the last 100 years. Impressive level of pettiness.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Is it because the people who check the validity of expenses are also off sick, WFH and that as soon as they are back in work they’ll do the necessary checks?  

we have to submit receipts for our expenses.  During all of this we won’t and the electronic form will be enough. Once it’s done we’ll be expected to provide the physical receipts.  

Wow, where I work electronic receipts have been allowed for at least 5 years. I would have thought this was the norm everywhere.

9 minutes ago, No2 said:

Wow, where I work electronic receipts have been allowed for at least 5 years. I would have thought this was the norm everywhere.

Some companies don't want to invest in upgrading their accounting systems. The scrotes I work for have only just got round to investing in Concur!

12 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/11/a-national-scandal-a-timeline-of-the-uk-governments-woeful-response-to-the-coronavirus-crisis/

Ian Sinclair and Rupert Read with comprehensive countdown to how Britain came to have one of highest COVID-19 per capita death rates in the world.

Everyone should read this and the Reuters article.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

I work for a small company with about 50 people.   There’s no real need for it at the moment.  Weirdly even at BG we had the option to scan/photograph receipts.