You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

21 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Tremendous:

Donald Trump: “This is a very brilliant enemy. You know, it’s a brilliant enemy. They develop drugs like the antibiotics. You see it. Antibiotics used to solve every problem. Now one of the biggest problems the world has is the germ has gotten so brilliant that the antibiotic can’t keep up with it."

Its no Blofeld. 

13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

She is a weird one visually. She is very attractive from the neck upwards and full-on oompa-loompa from the neck downwards

You need help. 

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I know they hardly ever face any problems for lying all the time. I'm just hoping that something changes shortly because we're having around 1000 deaths a day announced which isn't normal at all, clearly.

I'm not expecting public revolt or some type of revolution, just for something significant to change in our response to what's happening. So maybe me talking about uproar was too strong a word to use, and reflected my state of mind earlier more than it did anything else. Maybe I'm just freaking out as we hit the peak too, but hopefully we don't carry on like this if these death figures don't lessen in a big way over the next week or so.

Yep, agree with this 100%. Anxious times for everyone and to be honest this one of the incredibly rare occasions where pretty much everyone in the world is in the same boat! When we get through to the other side I'm sure we will be stronger as result.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Yep, agree with this 100%. Anxious times for everyone and to be honest this one of the incredibly rare occasions where pretty much everyone in the world is in the same boat! When we get through to the other side I'm sure we will be stronger as result.

People are not in the same boat at all. Inequality is multiplied by an event like this as evidenced by the Maitlis viral going round. 

Combine high death toll, high unemployment, high debts, end of lockdown and a hot summer and there’s a very high chance of social unrest. Italians will go first and then U.K. next 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

People are not in the same boat at all. Inequality is multiplied by an event like this as evidenced by the Maitlis viral going round. 

Combine high death toll, high unemployment, high debts, end of lockdown and a hot summer and there’s a very high chance of social unrest. Italians will go first and then U.K. next 

What about Hungary?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SasaS said:

What about Hungary?

Too early to tell how the virus is going to play out, we seem to be a few weeks behind in cases and deaths but have put partial lockdown in place very early. Everyone hoping that numbers do not follow the example of most of Western Europe.

The economy will be a huge problem but to some extent expectations and entitlement are lower here so may not trigger as much anger. Hard to tell with Hungarians - they can put up with a great deal but also have a history of taking to the streets in revolution

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Meanwhile:

The Kremlin said the “huge influx” of coronavirus patients was beginning to put a strain on Moscow’s hospitals.

Moscow and other regions have been in lockdown for almost two weeks but the hospitals in the capital are still being stretched.

A reporter with news agency Reuters said they saw dozens of ambulances queuing outside a hospital dealing with coronavirus.

Does it seem strange that a country of 145 million so close to China has reported only 13k cases?

A little bit odd yes. 

5 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

Too early to tell how the virus is going to play out, we seem to be a few weeks behind in cases and deaths but have put partial lockdown in place very early. Everyone hoping that numbers do not follow the example of most of Western Europe.

The economy will be a huge problem but to some extent expectations and entitlement are lower here so may not trigger as much anger. Hard to tell with Hungarians - they can put up with a great deal but also have a history of taking to the streets in revolution

And you are not even slightly nervous that if there is a big social unrest, as a (presumably) well paid foreigner you might be a very easy target for any local shit-stirrer?

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

And you are not even slightly nervous that if there is a big social unrest, as a (presumably) well paid foreigner you might be a very easy target for any local shit-stirrer?

No, I’m the right type of foreigner here and frankly I won’t be putting myself in the firing line. Trouble, if it happens, won’t extend into the Buda hills and I can easily manage without going into town

26 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Would be good if more MP's join in with this.

I'm expecting Moggy to come out with a statement that they've tried but can't get the technology at such short notice and that the main priority is to stay safe and protect OUR (it's always "our") NHS.  But they tried really, really hard. Herculean effort etc. 

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I'm expecting Moggy to come out with a statement that they've tried but can't get the technology at such short notice and that the main priority is to stay safe and protect OUR (it's always "our") NHS.  But they tried really, really hard. Herculean effort etc. 

I can’t believe they’ve not asked you to sort it, already signed the OSA, expert in Public Health and what you don’t know is only a 2 hour google session away. 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve just read that Iceland are massively into testing, they’ve done loads.  

Apparently half the people tested, tested positive but didn’t know it.  Imagine that.  I mean, thats ridiculous right?  

Are you trying to make a false equivalence here with the Oxford Uni study?

What kind of test was it, antigen or antibody?  What percentage of the population was tested? 

Just interested to see if you're barking up the wrong tree.

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’m pretty sure our resident expert wrote that off yesterday. 

I've often stated that people are known to be asymptomatic.  Repeatedly on the mask thread as one of the reasons in favour of wearing a mask. You're such a dipshit.  You're like a parody of an actual human being. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Wouldn't be surprising, but they're trying to get something working for around the 21st (from here), so if they try putting that off as well and we haven't started seeing less deaths and new cases things will quickly go to shit for them I think.

But they probably know this anyway so I suppose they'll wait until the last moment before outrage starts up to get it sorted out. Then we can see livestreams of bullshit or whatever it is they get going.