You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

For those interested in a broader context (which may help with assessing the reaction of the UK government), a very long but extremely informative read from Politico Europe on how the EU dealt with the crisis.

Essentially, it has to hit you on the head and then you will be ready to act next time, if you are smart. Nobody was prepared, nobody realized, nobody had enough of anything.

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-europe-failed-the-test/?fbclid=IwAR0oRJ8xIjU0_hrR5KRcKXm9s0XMHUvz_c50TZ4HI3Ek0-CQqrsWh6ZJ92s

9 minutes ago, SasaS said:

For those interested in a broader context (which may help with assessing the reaction of the UK government), a very long but extremely informative read from Politico Europe on how the EU dealt with the crisis.

Essentially, it has to hit you on the head and then you will be ready to act next time, if you are smart. Nobody was prepared, nobody realized, nobody had enough of anything.

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-europe-failed-the-test/?fbclid=IwAR0oRJ8xIjU0_hrR5KRcKXm9s0XMHUvz_c50TZ4HI3Ek0-CQqrsWh6ZJ92s

Its fair to say not a single government were prepared for it because no-one knew what this virus was capable of. That said reaction speed and timing from this government was awful considering the case studies available e.g.; Italy. 

Prepared for next time? We might not be around for a next time. 

China is cracking down on publication of academic research about the origins of the novel coronavirus, in what is likely to be part of a wider attempt to control the narrative around the pandemic, documents published online by Chinese universities appear to show.

Prof Steve Tsang, director of the SOAS China Institute in London, said the Chinese government had had a heavy focus on how the evolution and management of the virus is perceived since the early days of the outbreak.

“In terms of priority, controlling the narrative is more important than the public health or the economic fallout,” he said. “It doesn’t mean the economy and public health aren’t important. But the narrative is paramount.”

6 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Unfortunately that kind of question plays into the politician's hands. They're hardly going to agree, are they? I wouldn't be surprised if shows like that are scripted so there are no surprises. 

I don't think it does if a big enough amount of people know that he's lying, and as this goes on a growing amount of people should be realising that. He's currently getting shit on twitter now with "28 NHS" trending which is supposed to be closer to the number of NHS staff dead insted of the 19 he announced recently.

The government's bullshit agenda is falling apart more as the days pass, the only question is what that leads to.

Guest Pistonbroke
35 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

My mother seems to be on the mend thank Christ. 

Hope you are all safe and well. 

Made up for you and your mother J. Great news to hear amongst all the negative stuff we share. Fingers crossed for everyone else who is going through the mill. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Daughter just did a wee bit of shopping for us, mainly fresh fruit/veg and bread. We also needed toilet paper as we were down to our last 4 rolls. 6 shops she went into before finding some, 4.99€ for 10 rolls of some cheap shit. Cheeky cunts. Ironically it was imported from Italy. The fuckers must be giving each other bog roll for Easter instead of eggs! 

56 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

That's all very North Korean "Dear Leader" ish. 

Next week in the Telegraph: how Boris, aged 8, shot a 50 under par round at Royal Troon. 

I know, fancy building a political party around one man and worshiping him like the second coming.  Who’d fucking do that?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The comparison with Italy is still fairly close, although we're about 7-8% ahead now, showing true British grit to wrestle the lead from the forrins. Hopefully the figures also start to fall from early next week, although I get the impression Italy had a much stricter lockdown.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The comparison with Italy is still fairly close, although we're about 7-8% ahead now, showing true British grit to wrestle the lead from the forrins. Hopefully the figures also start to fall from early next week, although I get the impression Italy had a much stricter lockdown.

They most certainly did. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Mudface said:

So the peak might be two weeks ago as they were sort of hinting at. Jesus.

Obviously other factors at play, but it's not looking good for certain countries. Unbelievable that some are contemplating easing up on restrictions mate. 

24 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't think it does if a big enough amount of people know that he's lying, and as this goes on a growing amount of people should be realising that. He's currently getting shit on twitter now with "28 NHS" trending which is supposed to be closer to the number of NHS staff dead insted of the 19 he announced recently.

The government's bullshit agenda is falling apart more as the days pass, the only question is what that leads to.

This unfortunately is exactly where Govt retains so much power. They have lied over things for decades and hardly any Govt has ever fallen over it. How many people genuinely think that politicians tell the truth? More importantly, how many actually care about whether they do? They are obviously lying over things to do with this and people should care. I do, that's why I am absolutely staying in the vast majority of the time, cleaning things often, donating where I can etc.

Don't get me wrong. I hate the system. If I'm being completely honest about it, I have never voted in a General Election. Some would say that gives me no right to complain when things turn to shit. I would agree. I reserve the right to decide whether to vote or not. But it doesn't matter who is in power in the Govt. They will ALWAYS lie, manipulate and distort until voting time comes and even then it's a case of telling people what they want to hear. As an individual, I have to make the most of every day and keep myself safe and successful to the best of my ability. So do you and so does everyone. Unfortunately some people do not live their lives in this way, some people are not able to for one reason or another.

The only way this system changes is through VERY dramatic action come the next General Election. What would happen for example, if not a single person voted in a General Election?

25 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It says on the UK side there was football, Cheltenham and herd immunity strategy. Were there similar events/strategies in Italy? I know for example I had a guy fly to Italy for the final AC Milan/Inter Milan match and I believe that was on February 9th?

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Its fair to say not a single government were prepared for it because no-one knew what this virus was capable of. That said reaction speed and timing from this government was awful considering the case studies available e.g.; Italy. 

Prepared for next time? We might not be around for a next time. 

Felt like there was a two week window where they'd say one thing one day and then withdraw it a couple of days later. They've made an utter mess of things by that alone, now innocent people are either paying with their health or liberty.

• Upvote 1