You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

If they’ve got a staff of 4 or 5 people then it’s not extravagant.  The money isn’t for them it’s an expense allowance.  If they have to buy a decent chair, desk,  laptop, printer, etc it’s not excessive at all.  If you work from home do you want shit kit or decent stuff? Why different for MPs staff? 

Saying on Twitter that Corbyn has donated his to the nhs  if true it dosnt surprise me  bolshi bastard.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
18 minutes ago, Mook said:

I think the point is they can claim up to an extra £10k in expenses for WFH equipment for their staff & them.

They're not just being handed an extra £10k to put in their wallet/purse.

On the face of it, it does seem a lot but you'd like to think the claims process is fairly robust to stop them taking the piss (no laughing at the back).

Not in this case, as the extra funds come with a relaxation of the rules on evidence of purchase. 

Just now, redinblack62 said:

10k to stock a home office? Bullshit.

It's not each is it? It's up to £10k per MP for their staff, isn't it?

There's a lot to criticise the government for, giving them some assistance to help work from home isn't one of them. How much does it cost the average business to set each person up to do the same? The cost of decent chairs will be offset by not everyone not needing physio after months of sitting at unsuitable dining chairs*

* My back is killing me.

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Saying on Twitter that Corbyn has donated his to the nhs  if true it dosnt surprise me  bolshi bastard.

How can you donate something that you havent got and have to apply for in respect to extra expenses?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

He can't donate it to the NHS because he'd have to claim it on expenses.

I think Corbyn has told them the money should go to the NHS instead (& he's right) but reports that he's handed £10k over are wide of the mark.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Mook said:

That's how all expenses work in my experience.

Not as a rule as far as MP's go, they need to have proof of purchase, although easy enough to get round if you speak to dodgy Dave at his PC shop. Not having a pop at the MP's btw, some will need it and use it wisely, others will not need it but upgrade/spunk the cash anyway. 

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

Not as a rule as far as MP's go, they need to have proof of purchase, although easy enough to get round if you speak to dodgy Dave at his PC shop. Not having a pop at the MP's btw, some will need it and use it wisely, others will not need it but upgrade/spunk the cash anyway. 

So you're saying to claim this extra £10k they don't need to provide receipts etc?

Where did you see that?

My wife had a face time call with one of her mates whose a nurse in the Leeds LGI last night. 

Apparently they’ve split the wards into hot and cold wards. Hot is if you have it, cold if not. If your showing still symptoms in a cold ward after day 8, you get moved to the hot ward. Patients only get tested once they think it’s it’s appropriate to move to the hot ward. 

So, both our girls are the same age (4) and the nurses daughter suffers from bad asthma so the nurse has been placed onto a cold ward to limit the chances of her getting it and passing it to her daughter.

Anyways, the cold ward she works on is  full of OAP’s coughing, sneezing & spluttering everywhere. She reckons the vast majority all definitely have it but without testing, they don’t know for 100%.

As she’s on a cold ward, they don’t think it’s necessary to provide PPE, so her chances of getting it and passing it onto her daughter is pretty high. She’s had to go and find her own PPE, which she says is insufficient and is now really worried she’s going to pass it on to her family. 

Shite times. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Mook said:

So you're saying to claim this extra £10k they don't need to provide receipts etc?

Where did you see that?

The Times, they didn't go into what they have to produce but that the rules have been relaxed due to the circumstances. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-mps-given-extra-10-000-each-for-home-working-expenses-w0h5sx99l

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

He can't donate it to the NHS because he'd have to claim it on expenses.

I think Corbyn has told them the money should go to the NHS instead (& he's right) but reports that he's handed £10k over are wide of the mark.

Ok my bad.

The process for me claiming work expenses is currently 'relaxed' too. I no longer need a physical receipt to attach to a physical expenses form which I then hand to a Director to sign and approve before handing to our finance team. Now I just whizz a PDF through to finance and they pay it. It's such a vague and minor thing to get angry about.

Plus, expenses are probably down, relatively, aren't they? 

27 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

If they’ve got a staff of 4 or 5 people then it’s not extravagant.  The money isn’t for them it’s an expense allowance.  If they have to buy a decent chair, desk,  laptop, printer, etc it’s not excessive at all.  If you work from home do you want shit kit or decent stuff? Why different for MPs staff? 

Good god Rico do you have to defend every single little thing the government does? 

You are beginning to remind me of the fella in this clip, blue hard hat who appears (then disappears) on a cliff edge around the 2 minute 40 second mark.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I saw this on Channel 4 News last night. This virus is going to be truly horrific when it fully takes hold in poorer countries.

The Missus and I watched a similar news program on German TV about Ecuador, truly frightening. 

On the Tories handling of this, I suspect that Hancock will be offered as their sacrificial lamb, but Johnson will probably stay in place (I had thought he wouldn’t survive as PM due to their fucking awful handling of this crisis, but I didn’t factor in him getting the virus). The lack of PPE for health care professionals and the number of health care workers dying will mean Hancock’s position will be untenable surely? A few of the civil servants will also be removed from their positions but that will probably be it.

The mainstream media were doing a decent job of asking difficult questions but since Johnson got ill I feel they’ve been letting the government off the hook. That might change once we have the highest death toll in Europe.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You can't. It's a myth concocted by his supporters. 

Yep.you are right on that particular point Stronts. 

I've now done a bit of further research and the results shocked me, I've been conned, Corbyn the trotsky terrorist has has been lining his own pockets and I was so fucking stupid and gullible I voted for him, 

Now this I believe IS true and I'm fucikng furious

https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/politics/islington-north-mp-jeremy-corbyn-is-the-country-s-lowest-expenses-claimer-1-748369

£8.70 for a ink cartridge? What was he thinking?

• Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Good god Rico do you have to defend every single little thing the government does? 

You are beginning to remind me of the fella in this clip, blue hard hat who appears (then disappears) on a cliff edge around the 2 minute 40 second mark.

Without wanting to wade in on this ‘you’re a Commie’ ‘you’re a facist’ binary debate that you seem intent on raging.

Rico is pointing out the rank hypocrisy and self serving nature of symbolic gesture leftism, which is responsible, in part, for the distain some of the left attracts/attracted.

This is a very sensible, thought through idea, unlike much of what has come before, but the left in their ever increasing rush to score cheap political points only read the regurgitated twitter bile and assume it the most despicable, disgustingest thing ever because a random bloke on their algorithm/echo chamber has claimed something pathetic which nobody fact checks because we’re all so convinced we’re right.

Critical thought and reflection seem be scarce in quantity at present.

Dame the evidence, damn the person it’s easier and quicker and makes me look cool and clued up on the internet.

NB I’m as far from Rico’s political views as it possible to be , the facist cunt.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It’s not the government that’s done it you dribbling quim.