You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 hours ago, Elite said:

Katie Hopkins is like a verruca. You can freeze them, burn them and put a shit load of chemicals on them but they keep coming back as annoying as ever. 

She’s as morally bankrupt as she is financially. 

HanCOCK subtly trying to shift blame over a lack of PPE for front line workers onto said frontline workers. The fucking scumbag. Bet he still can’t explain why care workers have none. Fucking scumbag.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/10/matt-hancock-urges-public-not-to-overuse-ppe

NHS workers angered at Hancock's warning not to overuse PPE

Health secretary says protective equipment should be treated like ‘precious resource’

equipment for NHS to tackle coronavirus – video

The health secretary, Matt Hancock, has urged NHS staff not to overuse personal protective equipment, sparking criticism from doctors’ and nurses’ leaders.

“We need everyone to treat PPE like the precious resource it is,” he said on Friday. “Everyone should use the equipment they clinically need, in line with the guidelines: no more and no less.”

After weeks of criticism over the lack of vital equipment, Hancock told the daily Downing Street briefing a “herculean effort” was under way to ensure every health and social care worker dealing with coronavirus has the equipment they need.

The government does not recommend the general use of protective face masks to slow the spread of disease, and Hancock warned the public against overusing protective equipment.

He reiterated that hand washing, social distancing and staying at home are the best ways to avoid infection. “A front door is better than any face mask”, he said.

Hancock and the chief nursing officer, Ruth May, declined to give a figure for how many healthcare staff have died after contracting the virus.

The health secretary said a nationwide delivery system had been set up, with the help of the armed forces, to distribute masks, aprons and other equipment to 58,000 healthcare providers.

He said: “We’ve had to create a whole new logistics network, essentially from scratch.” Within a week, every NHS hospital would be receiving daily deliveries, he added.

The shadow health secretary, Jon Ashworth, welcomed the promise that more PPE would reach the frontline but pressed Hancock to ensure his target was met.

Ashworth said: “This isn’t the first time ministers have given NHS and social care staff big promises on PPE. But there has been a mismatch between statements at Downing Street press conferences and the realities facing health and care staff on the ground.

Staff have been raising the lack of PPE for weeks. We hope the government’s plans today deliver the adequate supplies of PPE our brave healthcare staff deserve.”

Doctors’ and nurses’ leaders criticised Hancock’s plan as inadequate, given the growing death toll of NHS staff from coronavirus.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't think the BBC or the gov can manage to prevent uproar unless the recorded deaths each day is drastically brought down. We're turning into one of the worst countries on the planet for this virus right now so something's going to have to change shortly. I doubt we can carry on like this, even with the gov and BBC (basically the gov media department now) in full propaganda mode.

Unless the people making the decisions are on trial within weeks of this shit calming down, then there won't have been uproar other than the usual social media pish.

They won't either, Johnson will be hailed as some sort of modern day Winston Churchill & they'll go back to quietly selling the NHS off & loudly 'getting Brexit done'.

Unfortunately our country is absolutely riddled with spoon fed fucking morons.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't think the BBC or the gov can manage to prevent uproar unless the recorded deaths each day is drastically brought down. We're turning into one of the worst countries on the planet for this virus right now so something's going to have to change shortly. I doubt we can carry on like this, even with the gov and BBC (basically the gov media department now) in full propaganda mode.

Governments are constantly messing things up, this has been going on for decades. Governments set laws and rules and are able to change them as they see fit. This will never change so any notions of uproar are futile at best. Welcome to the real world.

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

Unless the people making the decisions are on trial within weeks of this shit calming down, then there won't have been uproar other than the usual social media pish.

They won't either, Johnson will be hailed as some sort of modern day Winston Churchill & they'll go back to quietly selling the NHS off & loudly 'getting Brexit done'.

Unfortunately our country is absolutely riddled with spoon fed fucking morons.

8 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Governments are constantly messing things up, this has been going on for decades. Governments set laws and rules and are able to change them as they see fit. This will never change so any notions of uproar are futile at best. Welcome to the real world.

People aren't going sit and take around 1000 deaths a day I don't think. Clearly they can't go out and riot or protest, but many will already be outraged and hopefully it'll drive people to act, to try and do something to fill this void the gov has left where things are so bad.

If it even creates a push for more people wearings masks and others working together more in communities at least something will have changed, I can't accept the idea that 1000 deaths per day being recorded is going to be met with passive acceptance though.

Maybe that's going to happen, but if so I'll accept it when it does and instead for the time being hope that as a country (sorry I mean as the UK, not just England) we can do something ourselves where this gov has failed so badly. Because I don't think my brain can take the idea of so many dying being shrugged off as we carry on as normal at the moment, it's just pure insane.

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

People aren't going sit and take around 1000 deaths a day I don't think. Clearly they can't go out and riot or protest, but many will already be outraged and hopefully it'll drive people to act, to try and do something to fill this void the gov has left where things are so bad.

From what I’ve seen of people’s behaviour and the lack of rigorous media questioning, I don’t think it’s registered with most people. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

If I can stop you at your first paragraph. There wont be no uproar. The BBC are doing a brilliant job in whitewashing the news. Whilst the high deaths in Italy Spain were smashed over every bbc bulletin the massive uk death figures from yesterday are not on the BBC news page. The bbc main political journalist has failed to mention the figures in her twitter updates although she did thankfully bring us some "good news"

I'm reminded of the bbc general election political coverage and how any half difficult subject was pretty much avoided. It took Boris Johnson bumping into to a local journalist a few days before the end of the campaign until he got asked a serious and relevant question on the subject ( boy lying on hospital corridor) the prime ministers reaction was akin to someone seeing a ghost, he was flummoxed, he wasnt prepared to answer a simple direct or awkward question.

The bottom line is the bbc are fucking dreadful and are getting worse.

The BBC needs to be gutted...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

From what I’ve seen of people’s behaviour and the lack of rigorous media questioning, I don’t think it’s registered with most people. 

That's why I'm focusing on the 1000 or so number of deaths we have recorded now over the last 24 hours. If that carries on and we're still told we don't need masks, PPE still isn't reaching hospitals properly and enough testing still isn't being carried out, I get the feeling that something will have to change and pretty quickly.

Anyway we'll find out over the next week or so I guess if this carries on, I need some sleep have been up looking at this for hours now.

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

As much as the government have messed up, it's nothing compared to the arrogance of people acting like it's no thing. Every person has their own choice of how to act, use it wisely or pay the price.

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Unfortunately that kind of question plays into the politician's  hands. They're hardly going to agree, are they? I wouldn't be surprised if shows like that are scripted so there are no surprises. 

To put the sorry state of bbc political journalism into perspective I've had a quick scan through the main bbc employees twitter feeds and the one asking relevant questions and holding the government to account is Gary Lineker,  and he presents match of the day.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Just lazy bollocks.  They can claim an extra £10k for their office expenses. So MPs can buy laptops and printers etc to enable them to continue to serve their constituents. This goes nowhere near MPs pockets. But you probably knew that. 

10 fucking thousand pounds. Are you fucking serious? Why are they so special? Why does everyone else's hand have to go into their own pocket?

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

As much as the government have messed up, it's nothing compared to the arrogance of people acting like it's no thing. Every person has their own choice of how to act, use it wisely or pay the price.

I think the government's reaction is not 'nothing' compared with the arrogance of ordinary people.

They're still letting people from virus hotspots walk off flights & straight into the country untested, what sort of message does that send to the fucking idiots we have running about in our streets. And that's before we start on Johnson's 'shaking hands with everyone' boast, Hancock blaming the NHS staff for the PPE issues yesterday, the buried pandemic dry run from 2016 & the 10 years of chronic underfunding.

These cunts are paid to run the country & personally I think some of them should be looking at jail time after this mess is over.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've seen a few comments regarding this which claim that it's been very poorly reported and that MPs won't see a penny of this and it is instead for their staff expenses for if they have to buy stuff to help them work from home such as laptops, printers etc. 

If you have more info then please share. Again, my initial reaction is one that it's hugely excessive, and working from home doesn't cost the earth anyway.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Aw Geez said:

If you have more info then please share. Again, my initial reaction is one that it's hugely excessive, and working from home doesn't cost the earth anyway.

I think the point is they can claim up to an extra £10k in expenses for WFH equipment for their staff & them.

They're not just being handed an extra £10k to put in their wallet/purse.

On the face of it, it does seem a lot but you'd like to think the claims process is fairly robust to stop them taking the piss (no laughing at the back).

4 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

It's to purchase laptops, printers and office stuff like desks and chairs for their staff if they don't already have that equipment. It would have to be invoiced and justified, so they're not going to be kitting themselves out with Alienware desktops, 50" monitors and spending thousands on Fortnite and FIFA.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-mp-expenses-working-home/false-claim-british-mps-award-themselves-extra-10000-in-expenses-idUSKCN21R2IX

12 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

10 fucking thousand pounds. Are you fucking serious? Why are they so special? Why does everyone else's hand have to go into their own pocket?

If they’ve got a staff of 4 or 5 people then it’s not extravagant.  The money isn’t for them it’s an expense allowance.  If they have to buy a decent chair, desk,  laptop, printer, etc it’s not excessive at all.  If you work from home do you want shit kit or decent stuff? Why different for MPs staff? 

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

I think the government's reaction is not 'nothing' compared with the arrogance of ordinary people.

They're still letting people from virus hotspots walk off flights & straight into the country untested, what sort of message does that send to the fucking idiots we have running about in our streets. And that's before we start on Johnson's 'shaking hands with everyone' boast & Hancock blaming the NHS staff for the PPE issues yesterday.

These cunts are paid to run the country & personally I think some of them should be looking at jail time after this mess is over.

I actually think things are better now than they were. When supermarkets were selling all their stock to people willing to hand over their money, the government were doing little to stop it. Now there are systems in place to protect people but there are still knobs who don't use them. Just the other day a car driver parked just outside the doors of a shop where people were queuing making it impossible to keep two metres from each other. The driver was sat with his engine running while his accomplice walked out of the shop with cigarettes. That's not down to government.  Fish going to swim, idiots going to idiot.

9 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've seen a few comments regarding this which claim that it's been very poorly reported and that MPs won't see a penny of this and it is instead for their staff expenses for if they have to buy stuff to help them work from home such as laptops, printers etc. 

10k to stock a home office? Bullshit.

14 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It's to purchase laptops, printers and office stuff like desks and chairs for their staff if they don't already have that equipment. It would have to be invoiced and justified, so they're not going to be kitting themselves out with Alienware desktops, 50" monitors and spending thousands on Fortnite and FIFA.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-mp-expenses-working-home/false-claim-british-mps-award-themselves-extra-10000-in-expenses-idUSKCN21R2IX

You have more trust in their "justification" than I. I'd imagine all home heating and electricity bills will not be footed by that pot, for a start.