You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

8,681 new cases today.  Patrick Vallance was crowing about the "fall in new cases", but today's figure suggests otherwise. We're in such deep shit. 

They say it is 5195 the rest are some previous positive tests of NHS family members. Which I don't understand to be fair why they were not included previously.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The problem is, other than for those deemed most vulnerable, it’s not really a lockdown, is it? Yes, non-essential shops, pubs, sports centres, schools and libraries are closed, but people can still leave their homes to go food shopping and excercise. There’s nothing to stop cunts going out daily or even multiple times a day. Pound to a pinch of shite there are still selfish twats visiting friends and family.

I'll be honest, I'm one of those selfish twats, once a week, usually on a Sunday, I drive 3 miles to my parents house, I ring the doorbell, then I go and stand at the end of the path and chat to my mam and dad for 15 minutes. Sometimes they bring a brew down the path and leave it on the gate post while I stand away from them!

Why do I do this? Because they're 87 and 76 and they're frail. I trust my sister is doing their shopping for them (she lives about 400 yards from them), and I believe them when they tell me on the phone that they're fine, but I need to see it with my own eyes!

Apart from that I'll go for the shopping once a week, and maybe walk the dog once or twice a week, otherwise I don't leave the house!

I make no apologies for a ten minute drive once a week!

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SasaS said:

A bit out of UK's league. Germany has a different, much more communitarian culture, it spends much more on health care and it has proved it was organizationally much better equipped to fight an epidemic than most other European countries, which wasn't exactly a surprise.  

UK's government has not covered itself in any particular glory during this, they were late to react but I'd say a lot of what happened wouldn't have been avoided that easily as some would argue, if you look at other countries. All governments are under fire and under pressure now, Sweden still has better situation than the UK despite UK's tougher restrictions, Netherlands stayed longer on a similar path to UK and has similar numbers, France and Belgium have longer and tougher lockdowns and fared equally badly as did UK, if not worse, Italy and Spain have made big mistakes too.

France seems to have blown up big time very recently, did they have the same window of opportunity as the UK to learn from Italy and Spain? Or did it hit them early on? 

We don't hear as much about France as we do Italy and Spain, I wonder if it's a coincidence they have a hard right government too?  USA also - a theme may develop over time. 

Saw this on Twitter:

the current UK COVID19 death rate of 1000/day (almost certainly lowballing it) is equivalent to 740,000 dead in two years. For comparison, it took the UK 4 years to lose that many war dead in the first world war. 30,000 dead/month is a high end world war death rate.

@Tony Moanero Thanks for the rep, and btw I wasn't having a pop at what you said, I agree with you to be fair.

Also, looking at the death rates above, one thing I would be interested to know, as dark a subject it is, how much has the death rate increased during the pandemic overall? Say comparing UK deaths in March 2020 compared to March 2019 and 2018? It would be interesting to see if death rates due to other reasons i.e. accidents etc have come down or up.

Not saying it matters in the scheme of things, just interesting to see how the world has changed!

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

@Tony Moanero Thanks for the rep, and btw I wasn't having a pop at what you said, I agree with you to be fair.

Also, looking at the death rates above, one thing I would be interested to know, as dark a subject it is, how much has the death rate increased during the pandemic overall? Say comparing UK deaths in March 2020 compared to March 2019 and 2018? It would be interesting to see if death rates due to other reasons i.e. accidents etc have come down or up.

Not saying it matters in the scheme of things, just interesting to see how the world has changed!

My old man has COPD, he’s not left the house in nearly 3 weeks. He lives near a main road and likes to potter about in his garden and go to the shops.   He says he’s never felt better, no pollution from the main road and staying in means he’s not picking up coughs and colds. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Moo said:

France seems to have blown up big time very recently, did they have the same window of opportunity as the UK to learn from Italy and Spain? Or did it hit them early on? 

We don't hear as much about France as we do Italy and Spain, I wonder if it's a coincidence they have a hard right government too?  USA also - a theme may develop over time. 

Macron is not "hard right". Also, there does not seem to be a clear correlation between political orientation and type of response, in terms of success from country to country, if this is what you are alluding at.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It was tongue in cheek. Would you trust any of us to be in charge of a pandemic? 

I'm curious now to know if there is one person in the world in charge of it. That's one hell of a job.

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

My old man has COPD, he’s not left the house in nearly 3 weeks. He lives near a main road and likes to potter about in his garden and go to the shops.   He says he’s never felt better, no pollution from the main road and staying in means he’s not picking up coughs and colds. 

There was a bloke on my ward with that. Truly horrible condition, he said he's in and out of hospital on a frequent basis. He said he smoked when he was younger but got diagnosed 5 years after quitting, definitely the strongest advert I've ever seen for not smoking but sadly people who do don't realise the implications.

30 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I know you weren’t, mate. The selfish twats I referred to are those who are visiting friends and family whilst not practising social distancing. Sitting in their living rooms with them, having a brew or a bevvy. Obviously, I don’t have any proof that people are doing this, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

10 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I'm curious now to know if there is one person in the world in charge of it. That's one hell of a job.

It’s not a great stretch to assume I was referring to the UK. But, would you trust any of us to be in charge of the UK? Or even a significant policy adviser on anything?  

12 minutes ago, Elite said:

There was a bloke on my ward with that. Truly horrible condition, he said he's in and out of hospital on a frequent basis. He said he smoked when he was younger but got diagnosed 5 years after quitting, definitely the strongest advert I've ever seen for not smoking but sadly people who do don't realise the implications.

Oh yes, 30 yrs of Park Drive doesn’t come without a price. Although he’s lucky, he’s 73 so most of the people who did the same are dead. 

He was that bad his walking was reduced to a shuffle, to see him walking almost normally now, is conflicting given the circumstances. 

14 minutes ago, Elite said:

Leaning out my window yesterday I could actually smell the river, about half a mile away if that, where the liners are tied up,  couldn't before so decent