You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Couple of things on the telly tonight that may be of interest and worth recording.

BBC Four @ 22:00 The Horizon Guide to Pandemic.

In the wake of the swine flu outbreak, virologist Dr Mike Leahy uses over 50 years of BBC archive to explore the history of pandemics - infectious diseases caused by bacteria, viruses and parasites.Inspired by the Horizon back catalogue, he tells the extraordinary story of smallpox, one of the most violent killers in history, as well as the success of mass vaccination and the global politics of malaria. Through the lens of television the programme charts our scientific progress from the early steps in understanding AIDS to the code-cracking of SARS and deadly predictions of bird flu.Each pandemic episode tells us something about the world and our place within it. In his journey through the ages Dr Leahy charts science's ongoing battle with nature and questions which one is winning.

CH4 +1 @ 22:00 Coronavirus: How Britain Is Changing.

This Dispatches documentary investigates how the coronavirus outbreak is changing Britain in the long term, for better or worse, and from a fall in pollution to economic policy.

CH4 + 1 @ 12:45 am A Day in the Life of Coronavirus Britain.

How does the UK function under the shadow of the coronavirus? This documentary, shot over 24 hours, touches on the funny and the poignant, and gauges the impact of CV19 on the country.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Mate, there's no reason for someone to be admitted to an ICU if they aren't going to be put on a life-saving device like a ventilator. Understand he's the leader of a nation, but that's absolutely not normal. 

Yes there is.

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

People who’s job it is to make people well, want someone to get well. 

It’s fucking mental the lengths people will go to on here.  

Yep.

Die soon Boris would be perfectly acceptable.

2 hours ago, TK421 said:

I have to say it doesn't sound very intensive if he's sitting up and cracking on with the medical staff.  Is this normal in ICU?  Genuine question as I've never been in one.

It just sounds like "care" without the intensive part.  

I don't believe he is sitting up chatting to medical staff, drinking tea in his pyjamas. He'll be in intensive care for a reason and given that Downing Street have been playing down his condition at every step of the way it's reasonable to assume he's critically ill.

• Upvote 1

Just now, clangers said:

I don't believe he is sitting up chatting to medical staff, drinking tea in his pyjamas. He'll be in intensive for a reason and given that Downing Street have been playing down his condition at every step of the way it's reasonable to assume he's critically ill.

What I'd give to be a fly on the wall. With a mask. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Most people have said on here that they hoped he pulled through, I haven't seen photos of NHS staff holding up cards saying 'Get well soon' to other patients, in fact they are being forced to decide who lives and dies in certain hospitals. Maybe's that is what is getting people riled up about this, that and the fact they smell a rat. But hey, Tories are always gonna stick up for their own, even when they type a load of shit to turn it into a Tory witch hunt when it isn't. 

55 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It is there job to make people well, including him.

I just find it odd to say the least how anyone within the NHS can support him and his party after the part they played in reducing it to it's knees.

They can't even be supplied with the proper PPE to protect themselves. Their colleagues within the NHS are dying because of it.

Each to their own but if it were one of the persons responsible for making my job a living hell while earning a shitty wage, the last thing I'd be doing is sending them a get well soon card.   

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Masks would reduce this shit but all the focus is on saying that the masks don't protect the wearer from infection.  It completely misses the point.  I wear my mask so that I don't cough covid all over the cornflake aisle.  Non-mask wearers are scruffy covid ridden tramps.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Yes there is.

Nope. In fact, there's a problem in general with people being admitted to ICU's when they shouldn't be and their condition gets worse because of the extreme treatment they didn't need. The point of an ICU isn't to have people laying there to wait until they get bad, they should already be close to death.

And especially in a pandemic when there is a shortage of ICU beds, only patients in critical condition should get one. So according to sound practice, either BJ is close to death, or it isn't normal that he was admitted to an ICU and he's basically stealing someone's place. 

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Nope. In fact, there's a problem in general with people being admitted to ICU's when they shouldn't be and their condition gets worse because of the extreme treatment they didn't need. The point of an ICU isn't to have people laying there and wait until they get bad, they should already be close to death.

And especially in a pandemic when there is a shortage of ICU beds, only patients in critical condition should get one. So according to sound practice, Johnson better be close to death, or it isn't normal that he was admitted to an ICU. 

Are you a medical professional or have you ever had anybody close to you admitted to an ICU? I have.

And about this Johnson should or shouldn't be admitted to the ICU nonsense: in every fucking country in the fucking world the PM or the President gets the best possible health care available, precaution or no precaution. Even if there is an actual shortage of ICU beds or ventilators, which in London ant the UK, at this moment of time, there is not.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Most people have said on here that they hoped he pulled through, I haven't seen photos of NHS staff holding up cards saying 'Get well soon' to other patients, in fact they are being forced to decide who lives and dies in certain hospitals. Maybe's that is what is getting people riled up about this, that and the fact they smell a rat. But hey, Tories are always gonna stick up for their own, even when they type a load of shit to turn it into a Tory witch hunt when it isn't. 

I think a lot of people are maybe just simply disassociating party politics from the fact that somebody is very ill from the disease that is ripping across the globe and puts everyone at risk. But yeah, like you say I suppose, anyone wishing him well or that he doesn’t die is a Tory cunt fanning the flames of a witch hunt.

This pandemic is probably the biggest thing that will happen in most of our lifetimes, where we are all at risk, but instead of uniting, people come on message boards and try to make it a one side versus the other situation. I’m sure there’s some on here who would jump to this line of “debate” at any turn. Make anything about party politics and Tory scum. It’s tiresome and not necessary.

This was a good haven for discussion at one point - looking at stats across different countries and attempting to reassure one another as best as possible, while some panicked and some down played it. We’ve now descended into partisan bickering as usual - it seems habitual. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Are you a medical professional or have you ever had anybody close to you admitted to an ICU? I have.

And about this Johnson should or shouldn't be admitted to the ICU nonsense: in every fucking country in the fucking world the PM or the President gets the best possible health care available, precaution or no precaution. Even if there is an actual shortage of ICU beds or ventilators, which in London ant the UK, at this moment of time, there is not.

Yes, I've been in an ICU. 

Secondly, if you knew how it worked, which you clearly don't, you'd know it's not meant just for "monitoring" without the use of some pretty extreme treatment. I don't care if it's Boris Johnson or Boris Becker in that ICU, if he's just getting looked at, that's not what an ICU is for. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, I've been in an ICU. 

Secondly, if you knew how it worked, which you clearly don't, you'd know it's not meant just for "monitoring" without the use of some pretty extreme treatment. I don't care if it's Boris Johnson or Boris Becker in that ICU, if he's just getting looked at, that's not what an ICU is for. 

This is insane. He is the PM. Whoever is the PM will get whatever is necessary. They will say whatever they want to the public. They will call his treatment whatever they want. You have no idea whatsoever what the medical protocol or procedure is in the UK when the PM is down.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s my job to make people well. I wouldn’t wish death on him. If he were a patient under my care he would get the same treatment as anyone else. I wouldn’t pose in a newspaper holding up a placard saying “get well soon Boris” to a man who applauded and cheered a bill in parliament to deny me a pay rise. I don’t really see that as “fucking mental”. Quite the opposite actually.

• Upvote 8