You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Don't you think that when restrictions are eased even lifted, as they will be at some point, people will still be wary of stuff for a long time after? 

When the pubs open for instance, is there going to be all kinds piling out to get bevvied? I can imagine there will be a few I suppose, plenty of knobheads too, I think I'll ease my way back in yet still wary, a bit like after you've broken a leg at some stage you've got to get rid of the walking stick but you're still a bit anxious. 

It'll be a game of wait and see for most, China approach things a lot differently than the Western World. Governments over here won't want to be seen as the guinea pig, especially if things go tits up again. Someone will obviously be the first to blink and it will probably be done for economic reasons rather than them being confident of the safety of its population. I can see lots of restrictions still being in place, especially large gatherings such as pubs, clubs etc. They'll probably get people back to work and open shops, but with social distancing still in force. Until they fine a vaccine it will be a game of Russian Roulette. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

It'll be a game of wait and see for most, China approach things a lot differently than the Western World. Governments over here won't want to be seen as the guinea pig, especially if things go tits up again. Someone will obviously be the first to blink and it will probably be done for economic reasons rather than them being confident of the safety of its population. I can see lots of restrictions still being in place, especially large gatherings such as pubs, clubs etc. They'll probably get people back to work and open shops, but with social distancing still in force. Until they fine a vaccine it will be a game of Russian Roulette. 

Unfortunately this is so, regarding your last sentence especially, some might even find it hard not to practice Social Distancing now. 

Even before this I tend to keep my distance as I'm always wary of the Loon variety when out, also the cunts that don't wash their hands after going to the toilet in a pub, makes me puke, I also inform others i might be with don't take a swizzle off that cunt over there if offered, so I'm a bit like that anyway, but this is far worse, and yes Russian Roulette. 

8 hours ago, TK421 said:

Um, I wasn't posting until late March. I've been following the thread since stig started it. 

I graduated from Leicester University with a 2:1 in law in 1998 if you must know.  The proper uni, not the shit one (de Montford). 

I'm posting a lot because I quit my job  two weeks before the lockdown (go me) on the basis that it was unsafe to continue.  I'm registered as self employed but stopped doing that side of things too as the daily outings were too risky.  So I'm afraid you're stuck with me until the pandemic passes or it kills me.

I'm actually not allowed to disclose where I was working or what I was doing as I had to sign an Official Secrets disclaimer, which remains in force.

Don’t bring me into it 

8 hours ago, TK421 said:

Um, I wasn't posting until late March. I've been following the thread since stig started it. 

I graduated from Leicester University with a 2:1 in law in 1998 if you must know.  The proper uni, not the shit one (de Montford). 

I'm posting a lot because I quit my job  two weeks before the lockdown (go me) on the basis that it was unsafe to continue.  I'm registered as self employed but stopped doing that side of things too as the daily outings were too risky.  So I'm afraid you're stuck with me until the pandemic passes or it kills me.

I'm actually not allowed to disclose where I was working or what I was doing as I had to sign an Official Secrets disclaimer, which remains in force.

???? Oh fuck...

5 hours ago, PestiRed said:

Another dirty pro-beaner emerges from the squalid depths of the internet. I remember the good times when beaners were too ashamed to do anything but lurk and now they somehow feel they’ve got a right to express an opinion. Brexit, Boris and the virus have destroyed decent society

You need to check out the poll on the breakfast thread. You will find the beaners are the silent majority. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Barry McBumsniffer said:

Lurked since 2005 mate, used to read the fanzine way back when too. Got so much time on my hands now I thought I'd have a go and pipe up a bit.

I think this forum is a better source of debate and humour than fucking Facebook and Twitter anyway.

Some very interesting characters.

Since 2005?

Post Istanbul, glory hunting, Sky Sports generation big match beaut, telly clapping whopper. And that's still not even the worst thing about you, you turn out to be a pro-beaner. 

8 hours ago, TK421 said:

I had to sign the Official Secrets act because I worked for HMRC, it's only so you can't tell people how shit it really is. 

And so I don't tell people about all those assassinations they had me carry out. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Barry McBumsniffer said:

Lurked since 2005 mate, used to read the fanzine way back when too. Got so much time on my hands now I thought I'd have a go and pipe up a bit.

I think this forum is a better source of debate and humour than fucking Facebook and Twitter anyway.

Some very interesting characters.

Normally yes, but this thread would suggest otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I don't think I've ever been a chippy that sold beans. I'm a pro beaner I never knew a full English existed without beans before TLW.

Same here, it used to be standard fare as a kid, along with Chips Peas and Onion Gravy. Wrong thread I suppose. 

ONS says deaths are likely 4 times of those reported, so soughly 2500 over recent days, if the fatality rate is 0.5% as many are suggesting, that means in 100 days everyone will be dead who's going to die and the government will claim success.

(63m, x 80% for immunity x 0.5%)

4 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Yeah, remember that time when that fella who knows him away from the forum came in and told him to shut his yap and fuck off.

That would have been M.

Rob doesn't know me away from the forum.  I met him once in real life and spoke to him on the phone a few times, but we haven't spoken for years.  We're not mates anymore. 

If you'd heard some of things he told me on the phone (I'm not disclosing what they are, I respect his privacy) you would have done the same thing as me.

• Downvote 1

I was sent an audio file of a nurse explaining the supposed peak starting Thursday. If real it's scary shit, minimum 900 deaths a day, a third of which is expected to be babies and teenagers with no underlying health problems. People who have isolated and shown no symptoms if they have it should get nasty around Thursday. No help from hospitals at that point just stay at home manage it and die at home. Ice rinks used as morgues. No going out at all without paperwork. Exercise indoors only. Wash hands every 20 minutes. Fair to say it made me anxious.

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Rob doesn't know me away from the forum.  I met him once in real life and spoke to him on the phone a few times, but we haven't spoken for years.  We're not mates anymore. 

If you'd heard some of things he told me on the phone (I'm not disclosing what they are, I respect his privacy) you would have done the same thing as me.

Suitably cryptic, but thanks for the background of the situation as I remember wondering what it was all about at the time.

Special Report: Johnson listened to his scientists about coronavirus - but they were slow to sound the alarm

the actual report its quite long, if you have the time to read it's worth it. 

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21P1VF?

Here's an excerpt 

On March 12 came a bombshell for the British public. Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, announced Britain had moved the threat to UK citizens from "moderate" to "high." And he said the country had moved from trying to contain the disease to trying to slow its spread. New cases were not going to be tracked at all. "It is no longer necessary for us to identify every case," he said. Only hospital cases would, in future, be tested for the virus. What had been an undisclosed policy was in the open: beyond a certain point, attempts to completely extinguish the virus would stop.

The same day, putting aside his jokey self, Johnson made a speech in Downing Street, flanked by two Union Jacks and evoking the spirit of Winston Churchill's "darkest hour" address. He warned: "I must level with you, level with the British public - more families, many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time."

For most Britons, it came as a shock. Several of the next day's newspapers splashed Johnson's words on their front pages.

Vallance, the government's chief scientific adviser, who chaired SAGE, said in a BBC interview on March 13 that the plan was to simply control the pace of infection. The government had, for now, rejected what he called "eye-catching measures" like stopping mass gatherings such as football games or closing schools. The "aim is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not to suppress it completely." Most people would get the virus mildly, and this would build up "herd immunity" which, in time, would stop the disease's progress.

But by now, the country was rebelling. Major institutions decided to close. After players began to get infected, the professional football leagues suspended their games. As Johnson still refused to close schools and ban mass gatherings, the Daily Mirror's banner headline, summing up a widespread feeling, asked on March 13: "Is It Enough?"...

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

ONS says deaths are likely 4 times of those reported, so soughly 2500 over recent days, if the fatality rate is 0.5% as many are suggesting, that means in 100 days everyone will be dead who's going to die and the government will claim success.

(63m, x 80% for immunity x 0.5%)

Give it a few days and BJ will make a come back from his death bed, he'll make Jesus look like an amateur, and all around Easter time. We'll have lines such as 'Strong and Stable, British Bulldog Spirit, all in it together, and let's get Brexit done and make Britain great again.'