You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

@natashaldaly: BREAKING: A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for Covid-19. 6 other tigers and lions at the zoo are also showing symptoms. Believed to have been infected by an asymptomatic zoo worker. All doing well. To my knowledge, this is the first animal to test positive in the U.S.

Carole Baskins is behind this. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Putting to one side the schadenfreude aspect of Johnson's illness , it proves that the 7 day isolation is cobblers. It can hang around far, longer in some cases , the wife is 18 days in and still poorly.

Makes no sense to me and sends out the wrong message.

8 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

@natashaldaly: BREAKING: A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for Covid-19. 6 other tigers and lions at the zoo are also showing symptoms. Believed to have been infected by an asymptomatic zoo worker. All doing well. To my knowledge, this is the first animal to test positive in the U.S.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52135814

What's the sketch in Denmark, Cloggy ?

22 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Fuck sake! I thought animals couldn't get it. Does that mean we also now have to practice social distancing from tigers as well?

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52135814

What's the sketch in Denmark, Cloggy ?

This reads to me like the UK government trying to make out that they are at least handling it better than over here. They aren't. We had warnings and information much earlier, any events were reduced in numbers or cancelled weeks earlier and then the pubs, restaurants and schools were closed earlier. We haven't had scenes in the supermarkets like I've seen in the UK. The death rate here seems to be starting to flatten but it's still early days and needs more data. Herd immunity was used as a phrase but as a side effect rather than a stated goal. 

3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

This reads to me like the UK government trying to make out that they are at least handling it better than over here. They aren't. We had warnings and information much earlier, any events were reduced in numbers or cancelled weeks earlier and then the pubs, restaurants and schools were closed earlier. We haven't had scenes in the supermarkets like I've seen in the UK. The death rate here seems to be starting to flatten but it's still early days and needs more data. Herd immunity was used as a phrase but as a side effect rather than a stated goal. 

That's the fucking BBC who've been on the UK Government's case with this outbreak so fuck knows why you think it's Government making anything out.

46 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think she's been a dickhead. And sent out totally the wrong message. But... 

Isn't it desirable to have a degree of continuity and stability when dealing with a public health emergency? Rather than chop and change?

There's been far too much 'Do as I say, not as I do' in politics and offices of authority for decades.

It's only right that she walks.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

So they're feline fine, then.

• Upvote 1

People on here wishing bad on anyone who is taken ill by this need to have a word with themselves.

Whatever evil you are irked by that he has done, it makes you no better than him by celebrating his being ill.

• Upvote 3

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-varadkar-returns-to-practising-medicine-to-help-during-crisis-1.4221463

Coronavirus: Varadkar returns to practising medicine to help during crisis

Taoiseach rejoined medical register in March and is set to work one shift a week with HSE

image.jpg

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has rejoined the medical register and is to work a session a week to help out in the Coronavirus crisis, The Irish Times understands.

Mr Varadkar studied medicine and worked as a doctor for seven years before leaving the profession for politics. He was removed from the medical register in 2013.

However, he rejoined the medical register in March as the coronavirus pandemic began to hit Ireland, and is set to work within the Health Service Executive on a weekly basis, in an area suited to his qualifications

The HSE appealed last month for all healthcare professionals not working in the profession to register in a mass recruitment drive to deal with the crisis. Some 50,000 people applied in less than three days.

It is understood the Taoiseach is helping out in phone assessments. Anyone who may have been exposed to Covid-19 is initially assessed over the phone rather than in person, to curb the spread of the virus.

The son of a doctor and a nurse, Mr Varadkar comes from a medical family.

His partner Matthew Barrett, and his two sisters and their husbands, all work in the health services.

It may be viewed by some as a PR stunt, but in the context of his partner, his father, his two sisters and both their husbands all being in the medical profession, it's probably not a surprise he's showing his solidarity to all of them at this time.

8 hours ago, Chocoholic said:

Fuck sake! I thought animals couldn't get it. Does that mean we also now have to practice social distancing from tigers as well?

Someone allegedly passed it on to their dog weeks ago in the UK.