You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, davelfc said:

My mental cut and paste (because I don't know either)  is that a vaccine will take about 18 months. An already approved drug isn't a vaccine but can act as an antiviral, lessen the effects could be months as it's already been FDA approved. 

They talk about this in this latest youtube video, some interesting stuff. 

In this video, Chris interviews expert virologist Dr. Angela Rasmussen, of the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health.

Thanks, mate. Will have a watch.

1 minute ago, clockspeed said:

This drug has been used safely and effectively on cattle cats and dogs for over 35 ish years  under the name Ivomec. Pretty safe on animals and deadly with worms etc. Don't know if it was ever used on humans (have injected myself accidently just leaves a lump) . So it has been around a long while for animal treatment. I would assume it's just a dosage thing for humans. Used to treat worms and parasites cannot think how it would kill virus leave that up to the medical experts.

Yes, I assume for a lot of this stuff it's preventing a law suit if someone suddenly grew a third ear or something.

Be good if it was available within a couple of months.

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, I assume for a lot of this stuff it's preventing a law suit if someone suddenly grew a third ear or something.

You could volunteer for clinical research trials. You might have a few permanent lumps but you’ll at least have a couple of hundred quid to console yourself with. 

• Like 1

Only just seen that Matt Hancock (fucking Tony Hancock would be more use) is suggesting that outdoor exercise could be banned. Whilst I understand the reasons and thinking behind it, I think a total ban could be unbelievably detrimental to peoples mental health.

Sometimes the thought of going for a walk or run is the only thing that gets people through the day at the moment! I agree we need to stick to the social distancing guidelines and I wouldn't mind if it was limited to every other day, but a blanket ban seems too far at this stage!

6 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Probably more to do with things like the Thalidomide disaster. Common drugs will have undergone plenty of testing for the condition they are approved for and the age range they are to treat. 

Just now, Creator Supreme said:

Only just seen that Matt Hancock (fucking Tony Hancock would be more use) is suggesting that outdoor exercise could be banned. Whilst I understand the reasons and thinking behind it, I think a total ban could be unbelievably detrimental to peoples mental health.

Sometimes the thought of going for a walk or run is the only thing that gets people through the day at the moment! I agree we need to stick to the social distancing guidelines and I wouldn't mind if it was limited to every other day, but a blanket ban seems too far at this stage!

We will know if he suggests only half an hour a day. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

As I said been about a long time they will know the contra indications in humans. If it works it is widely available. Suspect that this is a false dawn as one of its main uses is with pigs so Chinese scientists would have been well aware of what it could do. Whether they tried it on covid who knows probably is a big leap of science to think a drug used for treating parasites would be effective against a virus. 

15 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

This drug has been used safely and effectively on cattle cats and dogs for over 35 ish years  under the name Ivomec. Pretty safe on animals and deadly with worms etc. Don't know if it was ever used on humans (have injected myself accidently just leaves a lump) . So it has been around a long while for animal treatment. I would assume it's just a dosage thing for humans. Used to treat worms and parasites cannot think how it would kill virus leave that up to the medical experts.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ivermectin-oral-tablet#about

It is already used to treat humans, according to this. But as you say, dosages if found to be useful for this virus will be tested. As with all of these things, fingers crossed. 

2 hours ago, Funkasy said:

No new infection here on the faroe islands for the last 24 hours, wonderful news. It started hard here compared to population but the government have acted perfectly so far. 

What is the borders policy? Are you in a lockdown and how strict it is?

38 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Rees-Mogg wouldn't even know the word 'honest' mate, the Mr Logic Victorian Dad looking cunt!

Well Jess Phillips thinks Rees Mogg is an honourable man;  by the same token Jess Phillips paints Jeremy Corbyn as a cunt and a racist. Jess Phillips is a labour mp.

Its fucking depressing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Would it be poor form to order a load of gardening stuff for delivery. I'm going mad, the nice weather is a good time to do the jobs I've been avoiding in the garden but I ain't got the stuff I need.

No, you will help businesses selling the stuff and you don't spread infection by gardening. If you are growing vegetables, you would be doing a very good thing.

Partly lockdown with most public sectors working from home, schools and day care is closed. The private sector is also working from home if its possible, but that is limited how much that is possible. only residents with faroese passport and some foreign workers (sub sea tunnel builders and some big construction sites) are allowed into the country. It looks allot like the danish lockdown but with much higher testing and fast respond to isolate people and everyone they have been in close contact with. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Well Jess Phillips thinks Rees Mogg is an honourable man;  by the same token Jess Phillips paints Jeremy Corbyn as a cunt and a racist. Jess Phillips is a labour mp.

Its fucking depressing.

She’s a disgusting human being.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

Partly lockdown with most public sectors working from home, schools and day care is closed. The private sector is also working from home if its possible, but that is limited how much that is possible. only residents with faroese passport and some foreign workers (sub sea tunnel builders and some big construction sites) are allowed into the country. It looks allot like the danish lockdown but with much higher testing and fast respond to isolate people and everyone they have been in close contact with. 

How are the sheep?

14 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

How are the sheep?

They're mostly fine. There's been a few that cottoned on to the 5G masts being alien mind control devices and they burned a few of them down, but most of the flock have dismissed that and they're still inside staring at their screens oblivious.

Hail Hydra.

• Upvote 2