You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, davelfc said:

An anti-parasitic drug available throughout the world has been found to kill COVID-19 in the lab within 48 hours.

A Monash University-led study has shown a single dose of the drug Ivermectin could stop the SARS-CoV-2 virus growing in cell culture.

“We found that even a single dose could essentially remove all viral RNA (effectively removed all genetic material of the virus) by 48 hours and that even at 24 hours there was a really significant reduction in it,” Monash Biomedicine Discovery Institute’s Dr Kylie Wagstaff said on Friday.

While it’s not known how Ivermectin works on the virus, the drug likely stops the virus dampening the host cells’ ability to clear it.

The next step is for scientists to determine the correct human dosage, to make sure the level used in vitro is safe for humans.

Ivermectin is an FDA-approved anti-parasitic drug also shown to be effective in vitro against viruses including HIV, dengue and influenza.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab-c-955457?utm_campaign=share-icons&utm_source=twitter&utm_med

Fingers crossed, but you don’t want to get your hopes up in case it’s dashed. We’d still probably be the last country to put an order in because Hancock missed the email or something.

Guest Pistonbroke

Trump at it again. Saying Americans should be prepared for a tough week ahead saying 'There will be death' then saying he's looking at easing the social distancing guidelines for Easter. 

6 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

The government may well be in oh shit mode, but the way they are dealing with it is typical. The drugs which are being trialled in treatment and appear to have an impact, are most successful at early onset, yet the general public are refused tests up to the point of advanced infection.

Johnson, Charlie Windsor etc test positive early and look to come through unscathed, why is that?

The same reason that the best drugs Keith Richards had, he says, came from his mates who had government contacts?

6 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

The government may well be in oh shit mode, but the way they are dealing with it is typical. The drugs which are being trialled in treatment and appear to have an impact, are most successful at early onset, yet the general public are refused tests up to the point of advanced infection.

Johnson, Charlie Windsor etc test positive early and look to come through unscathed, why is that?

The difference would be on first sign of a sniffle good old Boris and Charlie would be tested and given appropriate treatment. For all others dial 111 999 and get told to wrap up warm and drink hot drinks probably just flu tests not available . Two or three days incubating the virus in your body and bingo you cannot breathe , get rushed to A and E (no need for test now it is obvious as you cling to life) and onto an induced coma and a ventilator if they can find one.

1 hour ago, davelfc said:

An anti-parasitic drug available throughout the world has been found to kill COVID-19 in the lab within 48 hours.

A Monash University-led study has shown a single dose of the drug Ivermectin could stop the SARS-CoV-2 virus growing in cell culture.

“We found that even a single dose could essentially remove all viral RNA (effectively removed all genetic material of the virus) by 48 hours and that even at 24 hours there was a really significant reduction in it,” Monash Biomedicine Discovery Institute’s Dr Kylie Wagstaff said on Friday.

While it’s not known how Ivermectin works on the virus, the drug likely stops the virus dampening the host cells’ ability to clear it.

The next step is for scientists to determine the correct human dosage, to make sure the level used in vitro is safe for humans.

Ivermectin is an FDA-approved anti-parasitic drug also shown to be effective in vitro against viruses including HIV, dengue and influenza.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab-c-955457?utm_campaign=share-icons&utm_source=twitter&utm_med

cells_2x.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Aventus said:

cells_2x.png

So do I not post ongoing trials? Should I go with doom and gloom? I think it goes without saying that there are a lot of very highly qualified and experienced experts working on the potential anti virals and drugs that lessen the effects. 

I guess a handgun is more effective than Ivermectin? Which is an FDA-approved anti-parasitic drug also shown to be effective in vitro against viruses including HIV, dengue and influenza. Please show your FDA approval for the handgun?

A little hope is never a bad thing, it's the main part of our anthem, although so is not walking alone so maybe that's a poor reference at the moment. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, davelfc said:

So do I not post ongoing trials? Should I go with doom and gloom? I think it goes without saying that there are a lot of very highly qualified and experienced experts working on the potential anti virals and drugs that lessen the effects. 

I guess a handgun is more effective than Ivermectin? Which is an FDA-approved anti-parasitic drug also shown to be effective in vitro against viruses including HIV, dengue and influenza. Please show your FDA approval for the handgun?

A little hope is never a bad thing, it's the main part of our anthem, although so is not walking alone so maybe that's a poor reference at the moment. 

Apologies if you haven't a clue, it's a question for anyone that may have a little knowledge of this sort of stuff really, but what is the difference in time needed for testing etc for a drug like this compared to a vaccine?

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Apologies if you haven't a clue, it's a question for anyone that may have a little knowledge of this sort of stuff really, but what is the difference in time needed for testing etc for a drug like this compared to a vaccine?

My mental cut and paste (because I don't know either)  is that a vaccine will take about 18 months. An already approved drug isn't a vaccine but can act as an antiviral, lessen the effects could be months as it's already been FDA approved. 

They talk about this in this latest youtube video, some interesting stuff. 

In this video, Chris interviews expert virologist Dr. Angela Rasmussen, of the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Aventus said:

cells_2x.pngon in

12 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

This drug has been used safely and effectively on cattle cats and dogs for over 35 ish years  under the name Ivomec. Pretty safe on animals and deadly with worms etc. Don't know if it was ever used on humans (have injected myself accidently just leaves a lump) . So it has been around a long while for animal treatment. I would assume it's just a dosage thing for humans. Used to treat worms and parasites cannot think how it would kill virus leave that up to the medical experts.

27 minutes ago, davelfc said:

It was supposed to be some mild humour to lighten the mood. 

I think isolation might be making you a bit tense.

• Upvote 1