You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Excellent advice from the Czech government here.  Public advised to stay away from other people who are not wearing face masks.  Eyewear protection recommended.  Wonderful.  Not sure about "boiling" one's face mask but I agree with everything else. 

Contrast it with the advice we are getting.  I know where I'd rather be and I know which advice I'll be following.

czech.jpg

On 03/04/2020 at 05:17, Lee909 said:

Screenshot_20200402_191722_com.android.chrome.jpg

This is great for the fella who is 104 and survived, but a simple anecdote masks the loss of those who have succumbed.

tin foil hats off, there’s some

bad shit happening right now, and people are being fooled. Now the middle class Tories are siding with the middle class labourites and cheering for the saddest fucking leader since Elmer Fudd. Let’s go clap the NHS! Fuck you, let’s go vote to give them fair wages, let’s go vote to give them guaranteed rights to stay. Let’s go treat them as fucking humans, with human rights, not fucking dogs at crufts. 

15 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Excellent advice from the Czech government here.  Public advised to stay away from other people who are not wearing face masks.  Eyewear protection recommended.  Wonderful.  Not sure about "boiling" one's face mask but I agree with everything else. 

Contrast it with the advice we are getting.  I know where I'd rather be and I know which advice I'll be following.

czech.jpg

You better get over there mate. Czech yourself before you wreck yourself.

I wonder if this crisis will be enough to finally bust the myth of the so-called "wealth creators" of big business and billionaires? Quite a few are latching on to who the truly valuable people are in society, will enough put two and two together and link that to the economy? Businesses are going bust or suffering a bigger downturn than they ever imagined, why?  Because we the customer can't, or do not want to, spend at times like this unless it's for essentials.  I've always said it's an equal relationship between business and customer so fuck the term "wealth creators", however the current situation is highlighting that even calling it equal is under-valuing the customer. 

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'm not condoning tories here, I'm actually Irish, so not even English. 

But it must be extremely difficult for all countries trying to provide ppe for their staff, and all at the same time. The whole world wants the same products. It must be a mine field trying to source good quality ppe. 

I see trump put some embargo on 3M from selling their masks abroad. Crazy times 

Yeah , they've only had like a hundred years or so to prepare for something  as bad as this .

Uk, spain and italy all fucked up badly . Uk I believe intentionally so . 

56 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

This is great for the fella who is 104 and survived, but a simple anecdote masks the loss of those who have succumbed.

tin foil hats off, there’s some

bad shit happening right now, and people are being fooled. Now the middle class Tories are siding with the middle class labourites and cheering for the saddest fucking leader since Elmer Fudd. Let’s go clap the NHS! Fuck you, let’s go vote to give them fair wages, let’s go vote to give them guaranteed rights to stay. Let’s go treat them as fucking humans, with human rights, not fucking dogs at crufts. 

Completely agree on general. But with all the depressive shit it's worth bringing up the good stories too. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

These irresponsible broadcasters really need to stop saying 'a glimmer of hope in these figures'.

Deaths up by another 20% today. There is no fucking glimmer of hope there you fucking retards.

The only slightly bright spot is that the figures for new cases have been hovering around 4K for the last few days. Although whether that's simply due to the lack of widespread testing or not isn't clear.

Guest Pistonbroke

The figures for those in a critical condition has been stuck on 163 for days on end, hard to believe when so many poor people are dying, something fishy there. 

11 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Completely unacceptable.  Who's running the country here, the government or Prof Neil Ferguson? Herd immunity fucking bastard. 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-lockdown-could-be-relaxed-in-weeks-says-top-govt-adviser-11968358

What's the exact issue here?  The article doesn't mention any return to herd immunity, nor did the quotes in the Mirror article.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

What's the exact issue here?  The article doesn't mention any return to herd immunity, nor did the quotes in the Mirror article.

It's not expressly mentioned but it's clear that herd immunity is the rationale.  The second part of the article (Prof Medley) specifically talks about allowing people to catch the virus.  That's herd immunity. 

A more general point is that it's unacceptable for our government to rely solely on the advice of Imperial College London whilst ignoring consensus from the wider scientific community.

13 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

The figures for those in a critical condition has been stuck on 163 for days on end, hard to believe when so many poor people are dying, something fishy there. 

That's only on Worldometer, there is nothing fishy, they are just not updating because official figures are not being regularly released.

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It's not expressly mentioned but it's clear that herd immunity is the rationale.  The second part of the article (Prof Medley) specifically talks about allowing people to catch the virus.  That's herd immunity. 

A more general point is that it's unacceptable for our government to rely solely on the advice of Imperial College London whilst ignoring consensus from the wider scientific community.

Professor Ferguson says it's important that people continue to isolate, but that we might be able to ease the lockdown come the end of May. Two months time. How is herd immunity (coming from the guy whose modelling got the government to move away from that strategy) clearly the rationale there?

There's no quote for Prof Medley saying that (would like to read the Times article to be honest - herd immunity is too much of a soundbite for me to take it on faith that that's what is actually being said), but he's clearly more inclined to establishing an exit plan sooner rather than later, but even then he's clearly saying that we are buying ourselves time to make plans, not that we should be exposing the majority of the nation to the virus.

That said, I struggle to see April 13 as a realistic date regardless - but without seeing the full interview I don't know if he just meant that date was key to decision making, rather than expecting measures to change on that date. 

6 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Professor Ferguson says it's important that people continue to isolate, but that we might be able to ease the lockdown come the end of May. Two months time. How is herd immunity (coming from the guy whose modelling got the government to move away from that strategy) clearly the rationale there?

There's no quote for Prof Medley saying that (would like to read the Times article to be honest - herd immunity is too much of a soundbite for me to take it on faith that that's what is actually being said), but he's clearly more inclined to establishing an exit plan sooner rather than later, but even then he's clearly saying that we are buying ourselves time to make plans, not that we should be exposing the majority of the nation to the virus. 

6 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Prof Ferguson talks about the epidemic plateauing in 7-10 days, setting the mood for relaxing the rules on social isolation.  But he presents no evidence for this and, coming from the same institution that predicted 5,700 deaths in total, I simply do not trust a word he says nor those of his colleagues.  

Prof Medley openly talks about allowing people to contract coronavirus.  That's completely unacceptable to me, your threshold appears to be different. 

1 hour ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Christ.

Sadly, as of yesterday, there have been 29 confirmed coronavirus-related deaths at West Herts NHS Trust.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/18358603.watford-hospital-e-closed-patients

That's my local hospital and the one that did the immediate ops on me a few years back. 

What it doesn't tell you is that with the closures of A&E over the past few years it's taken over as A&E for St Albans, Hemel and other parts of outer London to. Every year its gets overcrowded to the point it turns people away. Some rumours they have no oxygen left though I put that down to bellend rumours

59 minutes ago, Moo said:

I wonder if this crisis will be enough to finally bust the myth of the so-called "wealth creators" of big business and billionaires? Quite a few are latching on to who the truly valuable people are in society, will enough put two and two together and link that to the economy? Businesses are going bust or suffering a bigger downturn than they ever imagined, why?  Because we the customer can't, or do not want to, spend at times like this unless it's for essentials.  I've always said it's an equal relationship between business and customer so fuck the term "wealth creators", however the current situation is highlighting that even calling it equal is under-valuing the customer. 

Depends on the company....

Warehouse workers for the fast fashion brands Pretty Little Thing and Boo Hoo are begging consumers to stop ordering non-essential items such as £6 boob tubes and £8 false eyelashes after orders at one depot more than tripled in a week.

Morale is said to be “rock bottom” at Pretty Little Thing’s fulfilment centre in Tinsley, Sheffield, where workers doing 12-hour shifts said they were processing orders for 400,000 items this week, up from 120,000 in a “normal” week

13 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Prof Ferguson talks about the epidemic plateauing in 7-10 days, setting the mood for relaxing the rules on social isolation.  But he presents no evidence for this and, coming from the same institution that predicted 5,700 deaths in total, I simply do not trust a word he says nor those of his colleagues.  

Prof Medley openly talks about allowing people to contract coronavirus.  That's completely unacceptable to me, your threshold appears to be different. 

Didn't that figure come from a mathematical modeller, not the Imperial epidemiologist team?