You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

That's exactly what I've been fearing at times when posting about the death rate, that it'd come across as something like that.

I doubt people will post less stats though if you mean daily figures from different countries, I haven't been posting those either. I was just wondering about the overall death rate of it seeing as it's varying so wildly in different areas. It's not something I've liked posting about though, knowing that those percentages represent so many people dying from what looks like a seriously horrible illness. So now that I have no real belief in the figures I'll be glad to be posting about it a lot less.

I wasn't having a pop at you or anyone in particular, just this new trend generally of announcing death figures like it's Radio 5 sports report or something, some of the news channels are even doing it.

• Upvote 1

The Japanese government plans to provide nations hit by the coronavirus pandemic with the anti-flu drug Avigan developed by a Japanese chemical firm.

Clinical trials of Avigan are now underway in Japan to examine the effectiveness and safety of the drug for potential use in treating symptoms caused by the new coronavirus.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told reporters on Friday that the government has so far received requests for the drug from about 30 countries.

Suga said the government plans to expand clinical trials of Avigan while having discussions with the countries that placed the requests.

He added that it will provide each of those nations with the amount of the drug they need, free of charge.

The German government reportedly plans to procure millions of packs of Avigan to treat coronavirus patients with severe illness.

Researchers in China say that Avigan proved effectiveness in clinical trials with people infected with the coronavirus.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200403_29/

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/japans-fujifilm-starts-avigan-trial-treat-coronavirus-014623499.html

A 5G tower was reportedly set on fire by vandals close to the M57 motorway.

Emergency services were called to Spencer’s Lane, in Aintree, shortly before 11pm on Friday to reports that the mast was ablaze and could be seen from the motorway flyover. 

Flames and smoke could be seen coming from the large field where the tower is located as controversy around the new connection providers continues.

Fire crews managed to get the fire under control quickly and were photographed parked up outside the field shortly after the fire was extinguished.

A spokesperson for Merseyside Fire and Rescue confirmed that crews were in attendance at the incident but were unable to provide any more details.

The fire comes as conspiracy theories about 5G and the coronavirus pandemic circulate on social media

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/5g-mast-on-fire-hours-18041768

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I wasn't having a pop at you or anyone in particular, just this new trend generally of announcing death figures like it's Radio 5 sports report or something, some of the news channels are even doing it.

I thought you meant generally, was explaining how weird it feels posting about it at times too though. I don't watch tv now either but I'm guessing it's bad seeing it repeatedly on there, especially the news.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mudface said:

Not specifically directed at you obviously, but given the massive increase in cases, are the other hospitals being fitted out now? They could be needed very soon.

There may be trouble ahead. Good job we chose not to lose EU citizens working in the NHS system through Brexit rhetoric and uncertainty. Oh, wait....

The UK government’s flagship Nightingale emergency hospitals for coronavirus patients will stretch National Health Service staffing to the limit, senior doctors have warned.

London hospitals, already facing acute staffing shortages, will be expected to provide some 1,000 doctors, nurses and other workers for the capital’s Nightingale facility that will start with 500 beds but have the capacity to expand to 4,000. 

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, hailed the temporary facility in the capital’s ExCeL exhibition centre as a symbol of the “best of the National Health Service” at the opening on Friday. But clinicians said it risked exacerbating an existing staffing crunch.

Even before the Covid-19 crisis, the King’s Fund, a think-tank, warned that NHS staffing levels were dangerously depleted, with 96,000 vacancies last year from a workforce of 1.1m.

London has been the region hardest hit by coronavirus, according to reported case numbers released by UK local authorities, recording just under a third of all deaths from the virus, according to NHS data.

The request to volunteer staff will add pressure on hospitals already suffering staff absentee rates above 20 per cent as health workers who might be infected self-isolate, doctors said.

“We are making sure not too many of our staff volunteer for the Nightingale, they have to check with a senior manager. But it is happening in a controlled way,” said a consultant at the Royal London.

Simon Walsh, an emergency medicine consultant and British Medical Association representative, said the secondments would inevitably stretch patient-staff ratios elsewhere.

“We understand the need,” he said. “The simple fact is that when we’re deploying doctors that are already providing care elsewhere, the ratio of doctors caring for critical care patients is going to reduce.”

A London doctor who volunteered to work at the London Nightingale said that each would be given six beds to supervise, along with one intensive care-nurse, two regular nurses and two assistant nurses.

However, an NHS consultant briefed on plans told the Financial Times that medical planners had “gamed out” ratios as high as one doctor for 30 patients in the most extreme conditions.

The London Nightingale facility was erected in just nine days and has been used as a symbol of positive action by a British government that has come under intense criticism for failing to source sufficient testing kits and ventilators.

It will be followed by Nightingales in Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow and Belfast, as well as smaller regional recovery centres to house patients who have left intensive care but are not ready to return home.

The demands to staff up the London Nightingale also risk stoking tension with regional health authorities. 

Richard Leese, deputy mayor of Greater Manchester, where a 500-bed Nightingale facility will open on April 12, warned that the region would not send its personnel elsewhere or poach staff from neighbours. “We are dealing with people’s lives. You cannot rob Peter to pay Paul,” he told the FT. 

Other volunteers, including the St John Ambulance organisation and furloughed airline cabin crew, are also to be targeted for recruitment. Natalie Forrest, chief operating officer of the Nightingale Hospital, said this week that “scary” levels of staffing would be required at the facility.

In addition to seconding existing NHS doctors, medical staffing agencies are advertising for clinical and occupational health staff to join the Nightingale, as well as emailing doctors and nurses who are already working in hospitals. 

In a sign of the scramble for staff, the Nightingale has also been asking medical staff in some London hospitals to volunteer their time to work at the new facility on top of their regular duties, the FT has learnt. 

NHS England did not respond to a request for comment. It is expected to reveal full staffing plans next week. 

The Ministry of Defence has called up 3,000 reservists for six months but it said only a handful had medical training, with most being logistics experts that will help deliver equipment to the Nightingales and other hospitals.

The government is also seeking to bring back recently retired NHS staff into the workforce, including up to 34,000 doctors, 6,147 retired nurses, and accelerate the graduation of 18,000 nursing students.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/1fed084d-6a07-4ece-9f88-408518cd2c3c

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

If this 5G thing turns out to be a big conspiracy in the end I'll be gutted to have not called it out before it was known.

And the people burning masts down now will be looked back on as legends. The few Humans that were awake as the rest of us zombied away at our screens, like a pack of sheep.

ewBePhl.gif

It’s not too late. There is one in Speke according to Stig. This could be your moment to shine. Unless it turns out to be someone’s CB aerial.

Disclaimer: This post is in no way meant to encourage any person or persons, especially those who may the mindset of 11th century peasants (not aimed at RP),to commit arson.

• Upvote 2

The US has been accused of “modern piracy” after reportedly diverting a shipment of masks intended for the German police, and outbidding other countries in the increasingly fraught global market for coronavirus protective equipment.

About 200,000 N95 masks were diverted to the US as they were being transferred between planes in Thailand, according to the Berlin authorities who said they had ordered the masks for the police force.

Andreas Geisel, the interior minister for Berlin state, described the diversion as “an act of modern piracy” and appealed to the German government to demand Washington conform to international trading rules. “This is no way to treat trans-Atlantic partners,” Geisel said. “Even in times of global crisis there should be no wild west methods.”

The German reports said the masks had been made by a Chinese producer for the US company 3M, but the firm issued a statement on Friday night saying: “3M has no evidence to suggest 3M products have been seized. 3M has no record of any order of respirators from China for the Berlin police. We cannot speculate where this report originated.”

The German allegations added to a chorus of complaints about the Trump administration’s practice as the US wields its clout in a marketplace for scarce medical supplies that is becoming a free-for-all, with nation competing against nation.

Valérie Pécresse, the influential president of the Île-de-France region, which includes Paris, described the race to get masks as a “treasure hunt”.

“I found a stock of masks that was available and Americans – I’m not talking about the American government – but Americans, outbid us,” Pécresse said. “They offered three times the price and they proposed to pay upfront. I can’t do that. I’m spending taxpayers’ money and I can only pay on delivery having checked the quality,” she told BFMTV. “So we were caught out.”

We really haven’t come that far from burning suspected witches, have we. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/03/broadband-engineers-threatened-due-to-5g-coronavirus-conspiracies

Telecoms engineers are facing verbal and physical threats during the lockdown, as baseless conspiracy theories linking coronavirus to the roll-out of 5G technology spread by celebrities such as Amanda Holden prompt members of the public to abuse those maintaining vital mobile phone and broadband networks.

Facebook has removed one anti-5G group in which users were being encouraged to supply footage of them destroying mobile phone equipment, with some contributors seemingly under the pretence that it may stop the spread of coronavirus and some running leaderboards of where equipment had been targeted.

Video footage of a 70ft (20 metre) telephone mast on fire in Birmingham this week has also circulated widely alongside claims it was targeted by anti-5G protesters. Network operator EE told the Guardian that its engineers were still on site assessing the cause of the fire but it “looks likely at this time” that it was an arson attack.

The company said it would be working with the police to find the culprits. It said: “To deliberately take away mobile connectivity at a time when people need it more than ever to stay connected to each other, is a reckless, harmful and dangerous thing to do. We will try to restore full coverage as quickly as possible, but the damage caused by the fire is significant.”

In one widely circulated video that has attracted millions of views on Twitter alone, individuals working for the broadband company Community Fibre are abused by a woman who claimed without any evidence that they were installing 5G as part of a plot to kill the population.

“You know when they turn this on, it’s going to kill everyone, and that’s why they’re building the hospitals,” she tells the baffled engineers on a London street. “Do you have children, do you have parents? When they turn that switch on, bye bye momma. Are they paying you well enough to kill people?”

A spokesperson for the company said it does not use 5G anywhere in its network and praised the calm response of its staff.

Media regulator Ofcom on Thursday warned that it was monitoring broadcasters who spread the discredited theory, although the coverage has spread more widely on social networks such as WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter and Next Door.

Almost every new generation of mobile phone telephony has attracted fresh theories about health risks, and similar 5G theories were already widespread before the pandemic but have been given a new lease of life by the crisis. Other variants on the baseless theory suggest the virus has instead been invented as cover for deaths caused by 5G rollout, while groups that previously claimed the mobile signal caused cancer or brain damage are now suggesting it is also responsible for a respiratory disease.

Social media posts from celebrities such as singer Anne Marie have helped spread the theory, while Holden, a judge on Britain’s Got Talent, shared a link to a popular Change.org petition promoting the rumour that the symptoms of coronavirus are in reality due to residing near a 5G mast. The petition was subsequently removed following inquiries from the Guardian.

International radiation experts have repeatedly made clear that the new high-speed telephone system does not pose a risk to humans, while pointing out that the coronavirus has spread widely in many countries without any 5G coverage, such as Iran.

We really are just reaping the whirlwind of the past 10 years of cuts and 5+ years of pure misinformation, ‘we’re sick of experts’ drivel and idiot bait regarding Brexit. This 5G mast shit spreading on Facebook is no different in essence from the political turds floating about in recent years, directed by Cummings and the Cambridge Analytica cunts. They’ve opened Pandora’s Box and right about now will be realising you don’t just get to put impressionable ignorance back inside once it’s taken hold in the community.

Hindsight is 2020 in terms of Covid-19 arriving where, when and how it did (and even that’s being generous, given existing knowledge about EID’s and the long-held belief by scientists, WHO etc that just such a global pandemic was highly probable), but when this period is looked back on, how the UK voluntarily spent the decade running up to it will be used as a cautionary tale for fucking generations.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

We really are just reaping the whirlwind of the past 10 years of cuts and 5+ years of pure misinformation, ‘we’re sick of experts’ drivel and idiot bait regarding Brexit. This 5G mast shit spreading on Facebook is no different in essence from the political turds floating about in recent years, directed by Cummings and the Cambridge Analytica cunts. They’ve opened Pandora’s Box and right about now will be realising you don’t just get to put impressionable ignorance back inside once it’s taken hold in the community.

Hindsight is 2020 in terms of Covid-19 arriving where, when and how it did (and even that’s being generous, given existing knowledge about EID’s and the long-held belief by scientists, WHO etc that just such a global pandemic was highly probable), but when this period is looked back on, how the UK voluntarily spent the decade running up to it will be used as a cautionary tale for fucking generations.

I wish I could believe that. I think you underestimate the collective will of the civil service (at senior levels) and politicians of all stripes to cover their own arse. It is truly the only competency they have.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Einch said:

I wish I could believe that. I think you underestimate the collective will of the civil service (at senior levels) and politicians of all stripes to cover their own arse. It is truly the only competency they have.

Not by us to us, obviously. Certainly not officially. You couldn’t think what I’ve indicated I do yet be naive enough to believe those responsible would suddenly have a Road to Damascus-style conversion and change their nature, surely?

13 minutes ago, Butch said:

Even in this present crisis money is still all that matters. 

Whilst it's very likely China are hiding figures, that video doesn't really give any solid evidence. It's a video with an agenda.

And the WHO guy clearly couldn't speak about Taiwan because of the one China policy which most countries and organizations abide by, yet that is never mentioned.

Edit: Although it's just occurred to me that is your point. duh.

4 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Not by us to us, obviously. Certainly not officially. You couldn’t think what I’ve indicated I do yet be naive enough to believe those responsible would suddenly have a Road to Damascus-style conversion and change their nature, surely?

Definitely not. More just me whiling away the time waiting for my daily list of DIY jobs from her indoors despite still working 12 hours a day Monday to Friday

• Upvote 1