You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

3M are an international company. If 3M US stops exports then other 3M units will do the same resulting in fewer masks for the US.  

I realise they're an international company. But it would seem unlikely 3M will do anything that jeopardises their position in the US market after this. It makes far more sense for them to put up some fake struggle and let trump do what he wants. As for fewer masks, well I don't know enough about 3M either way, my point originally being this type of behaviour is exactly what Dems have been calling for (I'm aware of Biden and Schumer but sure there are more), I know trump is a tit, but all he'll be worried about is how this plays for his election chances and it seems to me it will appeal to his base and quiten some of the stick he gets from the dems. 

11 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It'll be interesting to see if this Van-Tam dickhead maintains his stance on masks in light of the CDC change.  The WHO will surely follow, I'm sure CDC will have consulted them before making that move.  Matt Hancock needs to put Van-Tam in his place on this issue.  

Do you think Hancock will be arsed? I have still not seen or heard anything that suggests our plan is not to ensure almost everyone gets this. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I realise they're an international company. But it would seem unlikely 3M will do anything that jeopardises their position in the US market after this. It makes far more sense for them to put up some fake struggle and let trump do what he wants. As for fewer masks, well I don't know enough about 3M either way, my point originally being this type of behaviour is exactly what Dems have been calling for (I'm aware of Biden and Schumer but sure there are more), I know trump is a tit, but all he'll be worried about is how this plays for his election chances and it seems to me it will appeal to his base and quiten some of the stick he gets from the dems. 

That’s not what’s happened. 

If this 5G thing turns out to be a big conspiracy in the end I'll be gutted to have not called it out before it was known.

And the people burning masts down now will be looked back on as legends. The few Humans that were awake as the rest of us zombied away at our screens, like a pack of sheep.

ewBePhl.gif

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

People can make home made ones like in Austria, Czech Republic etc.  Nobody will be censured or face legal bother for wearing a home made mask until proper supplies are available.  The wording of the new CDC guidance makes that clear.

But do they work? That's the real problem. If they don't, then it could create more of a problem than it solves as people will think they're fine to mingle as long as they're wearing something. 

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

If this 5G thing turns out to be a big conspiracy in the end I'll be gutted to have not called it out before it was known.

And the people burning masts down now will be looked back on as legends. The few Humans that were awake as the rest of us zombied away at our screens, like a pack of sheep.

ewBePhl.gif

Of course it's complete nonsense. Stop it.

Just now, Barry Wom said:

Do you think Hancock will be arsed? I have still not seen or heard anything that suggests our plan is not to ensure almost everyone gets this. 

It will become politically impossible for the UK government to maintain its stance if the WHO changes its guidance.  The CDC and WHO will be aligned on this matter, you would think.  I think it will happen in all countries.

15 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It'll be interesting to see if this Van-Tam dickhead maintains his stance on masks in light of the CDC change.  The WHO will surely follow, I'm sure CDC will have consulted them before making that move.  Matt Hancock needs to put Van-Tam in his place on this issue.  

They won’t get fooled again 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Not specifically directed at you obviously, but given the massive increase in cases, are the other hospitals being fitted out now? They could be needed very soon.

I haven’t seen anything sorry. I was    kind of surprised this one wasn’t ‘needed’ straight away. 
The hospitals have stopped all routine operations haven’t they. Imagine the work getting all those appointments re-booked, it’s going to have a knock on effect for months.

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

But do they work? That's the real problem. If they don't, then it could create more of a problem than it solves as people will think they're fine to mingle as long as they're wearing something. 

They're not fool proof.  They need to be combined with social distancing, testing, contact tracing etc. 

They work insofar as they stop a lot of the droplets coming out through the mouth and nose.  I wear a mask to protect you, you wear a mask to protect me is the principle.  

I accept people's comments about them needing to be used properly, cleaned properly, sterilised if possible and so on.  Those are all valid points.  We all need educating in these matters.  But for me, with an enemy you can't see and the main route of transmission is through the mouse/nose it's a no brainer to wear a mask.

I think another advantage is that they're a stark visual reminder that we all need to keep our distance from one another.  If anything I think it will lead to more social distancing.  

Put it this way, can things really get any worse than where we are heading?  Surely it is worth a shot and I'm glad the CDC see likewise. 

8 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It will become politically impossible for the UK government to maintain its stance if the WHO changes its guidance.  The CDC and WHO will be aligned on this matter, you would think.  I think it will happen in all countries.

I think you're mixing our government up with another one. The WHO have been saying the key to control is testing, our scientists (and government) have pretty much dismissed that, if not by words by actions. They don't give 2 fucks what the WHO say, they'll roll out scientists or tits like van tam who will tell the daily press conference we're cleverer than everyone else, we're world leading and we'll listen to the advice internally and mumble some shit like there's no proof, it's really difficult, a moving target, it's about stay at home and it needs 400 years of clinical trials or something. 

Just now, Barry Wom said:

I think you're mixing our government up with another one. The WHO have been saying the key to control is testing, our scientists (and government) have pretty much dismissed that, if lot by words by actions. They don't give 2 fucks what the WHO say, they'll roll out scientists or tits like van tam who will tell the daily press conference we're cleverer than everyone else, we're world leading and we'll listen to the advice internally and mumble some shit like there's no proof, it's really difficult, a moving target, it's about stay at home and it needs 400 years of clinical trials or something. 

I can’t explain.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I can see for miles 

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

I think you're mixing our government up with another one. The WHO have been saying the key to control is testing, our scientists (and government) have pretty much dismissed that, if lot by words by actions. They don't give 2 fucks what the WHO say, they'll roll out scientists or tits like van tam who will tell the daily press conference we're cleverer than everyone else, we're world leading and we'll listen to the advice internally and mumble some shit like there's no proof, it's really difficult, a moving target, it's about stay at home and it needs 400 years of clinical trials or something. 

I think even the Tories will buckle on this one.  I don't see how it's possible for them to conflict directly with organisations like CDC/WHO.  The testing thing is a matter of incompetence whereas this is something that's easy to fix.  

8 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

What isn't? Biden and schumer calling on trump.to use the defence act or whatever it's called to force manufacturers to produce PPE and ventilators? Schumer at least has been going on about it for over a month. 

There were calls for US 3M to stop exports, the CEO of 3M said that’s not the right thing to do as it would mean other countries reciprocating.  So the US could keep its US production but might need worldwide production more. 

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

I think even the Tories will buckle on this one.  I don't see how it's possible for them to conflict directly with organisations like CDC/WHO.  The testing thing is a matter of incompetence whereas this is something that's easy to fix.  

You are assuming the WHO is respected. 

13 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

ewBePhl.gif

I work selling phones, these rumours started with 3g then 4g. I once spoke to an engineer for what was t mobile at the time he'd put masts up in a village. Loads of people complained of headaches etc, problem was nobody had switched the masts on.

• Upvote 8

13 minutes ago, suzy said:

I haven’t seen anything sorry. I was    kind of surprised this one wasn’t ‘needed’ straight away. 
The hospitals have stopped all routine operations haven’t they. Imagine the work getting all those appointments re-booked, it’s going to have a knock on effect for months.

Yep.

These other hospitals, I take it work is proceeding at a pace? Anyone near them can verify that we're not just going to stop at London?

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

There were calls for US 3M to stop exports, the CEO of 3M said that’s not the right thing to do as it would mean other countries reciprocating.  So the US could keep its US production but might need worldwide production more. 

I don't see how that relates to what you posted last. You told me my post wasn't what happened. I didn't even mention what the 3M CEO said. Because it's not relevant to what o posted. It's just a political play and anyone that questions trump after he's played to the masses will just be labelled as some type of liberal making political gain on election year, it's a tried and trusted path.

My point 100% is nothing to do if this is a good or a bad choice for the health of the US citizens. It's purely trump being under fire for not throwing his weight about using the defence act. He's been called on it for over a month. So he's looked on a list of manufacturers who are exporting something he needs and he's done something. The 3M CEO may be right. He may be wrong, I'm pretty sure he doesn't speak for one national government.