You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

What's this all about? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52145230

Coronavirus: US Navy removes Captain Brett Crozier who raised alarm

The commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt has been removed after saying the US Navy was not doing enough to halt a coronavirus outbreak on board the aircraft carrier.

In a letter, Capt Brett Crozier had urged his superiors to act to prevent US troops dying outside of wartime.

But acting US Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said the commander "exercised extremely poor judgement".

At least 100 people aboard the vessel have been infected, reports say.

What did the US Navy secretary say?

On Thursday, Mr Modly told reporters that Capt Crozier was being fired for allegedly leaking the letter to the media.

He said the letter "created the impression the Navy was not responding to his questions".

"It creates the perception the Navy is not on the job; the government is not on the job. That's just not true."

USS Theodore Roosevelt (file photo)Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionUSS Theodore Roosevelt (file photo)

Uninfected members of the ship's more than 4,000 crew are now being quarantined in Guam after the governor of the US island territory in the western Pacific Ocean said they could stay as long as they had no interactions with locals.

Until now, the sailors had been restricted to the naval base’s pier.

What about Capt Crozier's letter?

He had warned the Pentagon that the outbreak aboard his ship was “accelerating” because crew members were living in confined spaces. 

"We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die," stated the four-page letter, dated 30 March.

Capt Crozier had called for "decisive action", saying uninfected sailors had to be removed from the ship and isolated.

The letter was later published by the San Francisco Chronicle.

What has the reaction been?

In a statement, Democratic leaders of the House Armed Services Committee said: "While Captain Crozier clearly went outside the chain of command, his dismissal at this critical moment... is a destabilising move that will likely put our service members at greater risk and jeopardise our fleet's readiness."

"Throwing the commanding officer overboard without a thorough investigation is not going to solve the growing crisis aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt."

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

What a vengeful piece of shit Trump is. Hopefully this one comes back and bites him on the arse.

I’ve forgotten how many times I’ve thought “well he’s fucked now” but this won’t play well at all with his voters. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve forgotten how many times I’ve thought “well he’s fucked now” but this won’t play well at all with his voters. 

Yeah you have to hope he’s gone too far with this. 

Brilliant to see those sailors backing their captain, very powerful.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Dominos site has a queue on the homepage.

I suspect Britain is struggling right now.

I’m surprised Huyton isn’t like 80s Ethiopia given Sayers, Greggs and Pound Bakery are all shut. Their entire natural diet wiped out.

6 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Yeah his base love the military and veterans, so I’m sure this won’t go down well. Expect him (the captain) to be reinstated as soon as they see the shit hitting the fan. 

He thinks he is above the military, he is not a supporter at all - from the McCain/POW remark through to the rounabout of Generals pretending to put up with him.

16 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’m surprised Huyton isn’t like 80s Ethiopia given Sayers, Greggs and Pound Bakery are all shut. Their entire natural diet wiped out.

Cheeky cunt!

14 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

They’ve probably all stocked up on a year’s supply of Pot Noodles and Lambert & Butler from the Asda.

Cheeky cunt!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The 100,000 was just a sound bite wasn't it. Let's face it Johnson and Co have spent years talking bollocks (the NHS / Brexit £350m being the most obvious) and any questioning just sliding off like Teflon. 

Say some impressive numbers, let the media publish it, let the public believe it. Who cares if it's proven bullshit 24 hours later, the headline has stuck. 

I have to admit, grudgingly, that the last couple of nights performances from Hancock were far more professional than the likes of Raab , Sharma and Johnson. He obviously realised he needed to up his game when Turdseye and his shipmates filleted him in December. I wonder if he was pushed out of self-isolation early because of how badly the briefings were going.

• Upvote 2