You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, SasaS said:

Many things seem to be organized with military precision in Germany. WSJ saying manufacturing is still running at 80% capacity.

How German Factories Are Still Humming

By Tom Fairless

Coronavirus infections are rampant in Germany but most of the country’s factories are still humming, sketching a blueprint for countries seeking to support economic activity through the pandemic.

German factories were quick to get workers on board, and to impose strict cleanliness measures and organizational rules, often imported from their operations in China. In some cases, they brought in their own medical staff.

German manufacturers are running at as much as 80% capacity, according to estimates from bankers, economists, and industry representatives. Manufacturing in France and the U.K. contracted much more sharply in March than it did in Germany, according to surveys of business managers published on Wednesday by Markit.

Exactly how many factories are open is unclear. Flagship auto makers like Volkswagen AG and BMW AG closed their German plants in recent weeks. Yet in other sectors, these people say closures are the exception, even though few plants are running at full capacity.

Still, each week of shutdown costs the German economy around 1% of gross domestic product, or about $40 billion, said Lars Feld, chairman of the Council of Economic Experts that advises the German government. Even well-funded manufacturers would struggle to survive an extended lockdown.

I have to say, I'm mighty impressed how they have dealt with things so far. It remains to be seen how they deal with the economic knock when this is all over.  

23 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I can't doing with this Jonathan van Tam. He's as big a slippery cunt as the twat who lives in number 10. He never answers the question he was asked, he answers something slightly differently while telling everyone how difficult it all is. The girl before asking about the number of test that Germany and South Korea have carried out and their lower death rate and is it fair to assume our lack of testing has cost lives. He doesn't answer that, starts going on about how they're working hard to get the antibody tests right, how there needs to be a tiny margin of error, otherwise people will get results that tell them they're immune when they're not. She didn't ask you that you arrogant fucker. She asked about testing who has the disease NOW, not who's had it and has our lack of testing cost lives. And despite all that he still ignored the comparison with South Korea and Germany. Gobshite. 

Agree but he did call Hancock a “colleague” in a sort of “fuck you, you’re not my boss” way. That did warm me to him a little bit

46 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I can't doing with this Jonathan van Tam. He's as big a slippery cunt as the twat who lives in number 10. He never answers the question he was asked, he answers something slightly differently while telling everyone how difficult it all is. The girl before asking about the number of test that Germany and South Korea have carried out and their lower death rate and is it fair to assume our lack of testing has cost lives. He doesn't answer that, starts going on about how they're working hard to get the antibody tests right, how there needs to be a tiny margin of error, otherwise people will get results that tell them they're immune when they're not. She didn't ask you that you arrogant fucker. She asked about testing who has the disease NOW, not who's had it and has our lack of testing cost lives. And despite all that he still ignored the comparison with South Korea and Germany. Gobshite. 

There’s no such thing as a politician who isn’t a slippery twat, it’s a pre-requisit 

12 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

1120 dead in France in the last 24 hours. Bad times.

As a one off, they’ve included all the numbers of people who’ve died in care homes etc in that figure, haven’t they?

So isn’t that inflated figure (based on previous days, by 600 or so) actually a 500 increase spread from the date of the first death?

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Wait till Sunday when the weather is good and every retard decides it's time to fucking hokey cokey.

I saw the forecast yesterday and went to the ASDA for some BBQ stuff. Not leaving it till tomorrow or Sunday when other people realise the forecast and are fighting for some Richmond sausages.

I’d been going to Costco or Sainsbury’s but went to the ASDA because it’s closer and I won’t be going back. Costco & Sainsbury’s have followed the Tesco advert guidelines and was well set out, yesterday was just a free for all. If I contract the virus, I’m 100% positive it’ll have been from ASDA yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

France has 6,000+ critical cases so their death toll is consistent with that.  See what happens tomorrow with their numbers and that will shed light on today's death toll.

Official page lists 588 deaths today, additional deaths added yesterday exclude people in critical care. I don't understand why was the number added 2 days in a row on Worldometer, there is a 1,400 deaths difference now.

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

As a one off, they’ve included all the numbers of people who’ve died in care homes etc in that figure, haven’t they?

So isn’t that inflated figure (based on previous days, by 600 or so) actually a 500 increase spread from the date of the first death?

According to worldometer, this is how that was reported and it came in yesterdays numbers.

'On April 2, France reported 884 additional deaths that have occurred in nursing homes over the past days and weeks [source]. The French Government did not include these deaths in their official count, as their count only takes into consideration deaths of hospitalized patients. Following international standards of correct inclusion, our statistics will include these deaths, and will add them to the April 2, 2020 count following the attribution criteria of date of report.'

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've been waiting 1 hour 20 for my Uber Eats order. 

I've gone a bit Jess Phillips here, but I'm starving. 

Mad that the entirety of Britain is on the exact same two week timer before they simultaneously hit the "couple of early tins followed by a takeaway" point on a Friday.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

There’s no such thing as a politician who isn’t a slippery twat, it’s a pre-requisit 

He's not a politician though is he? He the deputy chief medical officer. 

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I saw the forecast yesterday and went to the ASDA for some BBQ stuff. Not leaving it till tomorrow or Sunday when other people realise the forecast and are fighting for some Richmond sausages.

I’d been going to Costco or Sainsbury’s but went to the ASDA because it’s closer and I won’t be going back. Costco & Sainsbury’s have followed the Tesco advert guidelines and was well set out, yesterday was just a free for all. If I contract the virus, I’m 100% positive it’ll have been from ASDA yesterday. 

I reckon that must be bad management of your one. I've 2 asdas near me (massive one at aintree/switch island and a smaller one at orrell park) and they're restricting numbers in the stores, making you queue outside 2m apart etc and I believe the one in Walton is the same (not been there though). 

13 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

He's not a politician though is he? He the deputy chief medical officer. 

I reckon that must bad management of your one. I've 2 asdas near me (massive one at aintree/switch island and a smaller one at orrell park) and they're restricting numbers in the stores, making you queue outside 2m apart etc and I believe the one in Walton is the same (not been there though). 

Fair enough, hadn’t read it properly but the point stands.