You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson has contacted his fellow Premier Leaguecaptains to organise a coronavirus fund that will raise millions of pounds for the NHS.

The full story is here.

He didn't do that last year or the year before for victims of the common flu or hand-gliding accidents though did he. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson has contacted his fellow Premier Leaguecaptains to organise a coronavirus fund that will raise millions of pounds for the NHS.

The full story is here.

Please pass my rep onto Jordan.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

He didn't do that last year or the year before for victims of the common flu or hand-gliding accidents though did he. 

Is that fact or opinion?

Guest Pistonbroke

Just had to travel to another hospital at the old part of the City to have my second test done. As is usual in Germany everything done with military precision. They have basically cordoned off a huge car park and built a fenced area to keep everyone walking through in an orderly fashion and far away enough from each other. At the end the military have set up a tented area for admin/info and testing. Only people who have received an appointment from the Health Department can be tested, yet there was still a steady stream of people of all ages, surprised to see so many young people, although they could have underlying issues health wise. Doctor then took the swabs and instead of just the nose which they did during my Hospital stay they swab both the back of your throat and the nose.  Told to self isolate until the results (should be approx 48 hours) are phoned through, said that we have been doing that anyway since I left the Main hospital. If it comes back positive it will be a case of isolating for a further 2 weeks and a hotline to call should breathing problems or a high fever occur. I complemented her and her staff for the efficiency and control shown and parted with 20 Euros for their coffee fund. I also told her that our Daughter said most shops are still not forcing social distancing apart from sticking up signs, as people are just not paying attention and more bothered about getting to the shelves quicker than picking up a shit virus, so she said she will pass that on at their next Covid meeting with the mayor/authorities in charge of that. Hopefully things are looking up on that front anyway as when I drove to the hospital there was Police and Regulatory Officers everywhere. It was nice to get out of the house, even if it was just for 90 minutes and an environment I'd rather not be in. 

I can't doing with this Jonathan van Tam. He's as big a slippery cunt as the twat who lives in number 10. He never answers the question he was asked, he answers something slightly differently while telling everyone how difficult it all is. The girl before asking about the number of test that Germany and South Korea have carried out and their lower death rate and is it fair to assume our lack of testing has cost lives. He doesn't answer that, starts going on about how they're working hard to get the antibody tests right, how there needs to be a tiny margin of error, otherwise people will get results that tell them they're immune when they're not. She didn't ask you that you arrogant fucker. She asked about testing who has the disease NOW, not who's had it and has our lack of testing cost lives. And despite all that he still ignored the comparison with South Korea and Germany. Gobshite. 

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

I can't doing with this Jonathan van Tam. He's as big a slippery cunt as the twat who lives in number 10. He never answers the question he was asked, he answers something slightly differently while telling everyone how difficult it all is. The girl before asking about the number of test that Germany and South Korea have carried out and their lower death rate and is it fair to assume our lack of testing has cost lives. He doesn't answer that, starts going on about how they're working hard to get the antibody tests right, how there needs to be a tiny margin of error, otherwise people will get results that tell them they're immune when they're not. She didn't ask you that you arrogant fucker. She asked about testing who has the disease NOW, not who's had it and has our lack of testing cost lives. And despite all that he still ignored the comparison with South Korea and Germany. Gobshite. 

If you look at the figures for those in intensive care/Serious critical condition, most of the countries hit hard are showing high numbers, yet the UK seem to be stuck on low numbers despite the amount of Active cases. Either most of those being admitted have little chance of surviving due to various issues, or those numbers are being manipulated, not good either way. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

If you look at the figures for those in intensive care/Serious critical condition, most of the countries hit hard are showing high numbers, yet the UK seem to be stuck on low numbers despite the amount of Active cases. Either most of those being admitted have little chance of surviving due to various issues, or those numbers are being manipulated, not good either way. 

I wouldn't be shocked for it to be both.

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't bother watching the daily press farce.  Appreciate the synopsis, though. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

I wouldn't be shocked for it to be both.

Worrying times for all mate. The German Government have said that numbers are reducing and the mass lock downs (albeit far from perfect) are working, although they warn people that it does not mean we are out of the Woods yet. They also warned against people buying these quick tests from the various outlets offering them. Companies are selling them for 30-40€ a pop and in a short space of time they reckon at least half a million have been bought. 

31 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Just had to travel to another hospital at the old part of the City to have my second test done. As is usual in Germany everything done with military precision. They have basically cordoned off a huge car park and built a fenced area to keep everyone walking through in an orderly fashion and far away enough from each other. At the end the military have set up a tented area for admin/info and testing. Only people who have received an appointment from the Health Department can be tested, yet there was still a steady stream of people of all ages, surprised to see so many young people, although they could have underlying issues health wise. Doctor then took the swabs and instead of just the nose which they did during my Hospital stay they swab both the back of your throat and the nose.  Told to self isolate until the results (should be approx 48 hours) are phoned through, said that we have been doing that anyway since I left the Main hospital. If it comes back positive it will be a case of isolating for a further 2 weeks and a hotline to call should breathing problems or a high fever occur. I complemented her and her staff for the efficiency and control shown and parted with 20 Euros for their coffee fund. I also told her that our Daughter said most shops are still not forcing social distancing apart from sticking up signs, as people are just not paying attention and more bothered about getting to the shelves quicker than picking up a shit virus, so she said she will pass that on at their next Covid meeting with the mayor/authorities in charge of that. Hopefully things are looking up on that front anyway as when I drove to the hospital there was Police and Regulatory Officers everywhere. It was nice to get out of the house, even if it was just for 90 minutes and an environment I'd rather not be in. 

Many things seem to be organized with military precision in Germany. WSJ saying manufacturing is still running at 80% capacity.

How German Factories Are Still Humming

By Tom Fairless

Coronavirus infections are rampant in Germany but most of the country’s factories are still humming, sketching a blueprint for countries seeking to support economic activity through the pandemic.

German factories were quick to get workers on board, and to impose strict cleanliness measures and organizational rules, often imported from their operations in China. In some cases, they brought in their own medical staff.

German manufacturers are running at as much as 80% capacity, according to estimates from bankers, economists, and industry representatives. Manufacturing in France and the U.K. contracted much more sharply in March than it did in Germany, according to surveys of business managers published on Wednesday by Markit.

Exactly how many factories are open is unclear. Flagship auto makers like Volkswagen AG and BMW AG closed their German plants in recent weeks. Yet in other sectors, these people say closures are the exception, even though few plants are running at full capacity.

Still, each week of shutdown costs the German economy around 1% of gross domestic product, or about $40 billion, said Lars Feld, chairman of the Council of Economic Experts that advises the German government. Even well-funded manufacturers would struggle to survive an extended lockdown.

• Like 1