You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

The Queen will speak to the nation on Sunday about the coronavirus outbreak - only her fourth special address at a time of crisis during her 68-year reign.

Buckingham Palace said the message, recorded at Windsor Castle, will be broadcast on TV and radio at 20:00 BST.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52155430

I hope she stresses that we should all stay at home and not bugger off to our holiday castles. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

So you're saying we could be outliers.. I'm taking that as fact, whatever I had back then was rough with the worst headache i've had in while

Same with her mate although I got none of it, it was the struggling for breath, temperature and persistent cough that made me wonder. She works in a hairdressers which have a few high brow Chinese travelling clients. Her mother was ill with the same symptoms but none of the rest of the family got it. Like SD says probably too early and probably just a common or garden virus.

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

The temporary hospitals being set up in Wales are not opening until late April. So judge for yourself when the actual peak is going to be.

Definitely full steam ahead with flock/survivor immunity.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

The temporary hospitals being set up in Wales are not opening until late April. So judge for yourself when the actual peak is going to be.

Given the speed our government has been moving so far, probably tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

1500 extra beds to cover Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Hull and the other big Northern towns and cities seems like way too few.

Not if you’ve decided to get rid of those troublesome northerners.

A design and technology teacher has gone back to school in York to make visors for NHS workers.

Paul Cooper, head of design and technology at St Peter’s School, has been manufacturing visors in his classroom to supplement 6,500 items of protective equipment donated by the school to York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust last week. 

After hearing about the shortage of face masks for health professionals, Cooper realised that his Design and Technology department has the machinery and equipment to manufacture visors for staff working on the front line against coronavirus.

St Peter's, York (@stpetersyork)

Mr Cooper has been manufacturing face masks in his Design & Technology classroom to help protect #NHSheroes at @YorkTeachingNHS. He can produce a face mask in just 6 minutes and has made 60 visors so far! https://t.co/GmzKNU8Ya3#StPetersTogether #NHSThankYou#BBCMakeADifferencepic.twitter.com/Y313WyJtUF

April 3, 2020

It now takes him just six minutes on a laser cutter to manufacture each mask, which is made from Polypropylene sheet and photocopy film. They have been designed with the minimum number of components required, using an integrated adjustable head band. 

Cooper initially made five sample face masks for the approval of York Teaching Hospital Trust and was given the go ahead to produce a further 60 visors which were collected from St Peter’s School by Dr Nigel Durham on Thursday 2 April.

• Upvote 2

A Red has been hanging out in The Guardian comments section again...

Encouraging news...if you're the virus. 

Just completed my daily run and those second homes that were empty yesterday are all occupied today and the tourists are out in groups (I had to manoeuvre past two mothers and six kids on scooters), and even past two older ladies having a picnic on the coastal path. Yippee!

The health secretary Matt Hancock has indicated that the coronavirus outbreak could reach its peak in the UK on Easter Sunday, with around 1,000 deaths each day running up to that date.

Asked about reports from NHS sources that the government was working on the calculation that deaths would start to peak on 12 April, Hancock said: 

I defer to the scientists on the exact predictions, I’m not going to steer you away from that. That is one perfectly possible outcome.

Of course there is uncertainty around that. Part of the challenge of communicating about this disease and our response to it is there are a lot of things we don’t yet know and this is one of them.

Speaking to Sky News from the newly-opened Nightingale hospital at London’s ExCel centre, Hancock said: 

We are prepared not only for that eventuality but also in case it’s worse than that, because I want to make sure that the NHS is prepared for all reasonable outcomes, as well as something that might be closer to the central projection.

Prof Yvonne Doyle from Public Health England has previously said the government was monitoring modelling on the spread of the virus and gave 12 April as the day after which it would undertake a review of the lockdown measures.

Scotland’s first minister Nicola Sturgeonplayed down the suggestion that the peak in fatalities could happen so soon. She told a press briefing on Friday:

Nothing I have seen gives me any basis whatsoever for predicting the virus will peak as early as a week’s time here in Scotland.