You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Thanks for source.

It's backed up by a lot more info too. I can't believe that they are not advised. Under one metre you can contract the virus through it being airborne, but after that it's droplets which is the main cause of infection.

22 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

image.jpeg.57a1f982000730a2eac09625e7de2cb2.jpeg

That's it, I'm getting my stockings out and over my head.

In all seriousness, if that's accurate then masks need to be produced and sent out and ordered to be worn even when microwaving your beans for you fry up.

Scotand's new deaths gone up from 16 yesterday to 50 today.

There are another 40 deaths not included in the above due to delays in family liaison. There are to be distributed over a number of days.

In addition, reporting of numbers from next week to include all community deaths where Covid-19 is mentioned on the death certificate.

Grim as fuck.

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

Reports that there may have been 1.7 million cases of Covid-19 in the UK, which I think suggests we're heading for 200,000 deaths if correct.

That'd be an 11.7% death rate if I've worked it out right (200,000 divided by 1,700,000 = 0.11, then x100 for 11.7), it shouldn't be anywhere near that if it's that amount infected.

Weirdly enough if you add another 1 and do 11.7 million you arrive at a 1.7% death rate for 200k, almost exactly what South Korea's is from the current figures.

At 1.7mil cases though it'd be 29k with the same death rate.

(I really don't like doing this but have been trying to work out death rates in different countries at times recently.)

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

That'd be an 11.7% death rate if I've worked it out right (200,000 divided by 1,700,000 = 0.11, then x100 for 11.7), it shouldn't be anywhere near that if it's that amount infected.

Weirdly enough if you add another 1 and do 11.7 million you arrive at a 1.7% death rate for 200k, almost exactly what South Korea's is from the current figures.

I did the number of deaths, divided by the number of 1.7m multiplied by the population. Very rough figure and everything is based on guess work.

Just heard another 800 bed make shift hospital is opening. The numbers are going to be fucking huge.

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I did the number of deaths, divided by the number of 1.7m multiplied by the population.

I've no idea if what you did even works or not or if you made a typo in calculation, I'm not good at maths and had to google to even work out how to get percentages from deaths and number infected. That's deaths divided by number infected, multiplied by 100.

I don't think there's any way we have an 11.7% death rate though unless something has gone seriously wrong in this country. It should be a tenth of that. If the gov have got one thing right in this whole mess where they've contradicted the WHO it might've been their estimate of a 1% death rate though.

Have just checked Italy and what you came up with would be exactly their death rate. So I'm guessing you're looking at worst case and I'm trying to look at best.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Don't think people are not saying its still good. But it just seems another thing Musk is pushing as sonething he's not. 

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It is. They've proved useful in Italy, apparently. But they were promised ventilators. Which these ain't. 

Is it not just possible that like many of us, only 2 weeks ago we wouldn't have known the difference (I'm not terrifically sure I still do know the difference, I'm just aware there seems to be ventilators and some other breathing shit that helps save lives)? I'm sure he's sitting at the top of the company and shouted "make me some ventilators" to one or many of his engineering teams and this is what they've brought back. He's then said "we've got this, who wants them?".  It just seems like an excuse to take a pop at someone who's at least trying to help at a time of crisis. 

Gtec designed and manufactured (or started manufacturing) thousands of "rudimentary" ventilators at the request of the UK Government, I saw a clip on the telly saying they could potentially make up to 1000 a day. 

Next thing you know Dyson is name dropped and the Gtec instruction is cancelled by the government. That was around a week ago. 

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Gtec designed and manufactured (or started manufacturing) thousands of "rudimentary" ventilators at the request of the UK Government, I saw a clip on the telly saying they could potentially make up to 1000 a day. 

Next thing you know Dyson is name dropped and the Gtec instruction is cancelled by the government. That was around a week ago. 

Party member and donor, James Dyson's company? The one that has never made ventilators before?

Well colour me surprised they'd rather that tax avoiding cunt had the contract.

31 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

(I really don't like doing this but have been trying to work out death rates in different countries at times recently.)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

China had plenty of masks? South Korea put it down to mass testing not masks, contact tracing and isolation.

As to Japan well many don't believe their numbers as they haven't done much testing, but they stopped travel and are notoriously clean, it's also worth remembering that their healthcare is excellent hence their hospitals aren't stretched. Singapore and HK again have done aggressive case finding like South Korea...

Pesky facts giving a fuller picture rather than someone just scribbling a circle on a graph. This place is going to the dogs!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Pesky facts giving a fuller picture rather than someone just scribbling a circle on a graph. This place is going to the dogs!

Opinion and conjecture, not facts.  Contact tracing, testing and isolation all help but so do masks.  A combination of factors all at play to suppress the virus.

Anyway, soon masks will be compulsory and there will be no debate to be had. 

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

A debate on Radio 2 this afternoon, their resident doctor has been talking about facemasks. Definitely worth a listen.

You mean there's an actual debate? Like, a sensible discussion?  They need to get Anubis's mates on the line who say that masks are pointless.  That'll nip that shit in the bud.