You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just been told by Universal Credit I'm not entitled to a payment this month as I've earned to much, because I got paid 27th Feb and 28th March (28th Feb was a Saturday).

I tried to explain these were 2 separate month's pay but they said the system calculates on when you receive the money each month so it's thinking I've received double pay and nothing they can do.

Added to the fact I have had my hours reduced due to Coronavirus I am royally screwed...yeah universal credit is shit.

16 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not a huge politics guy, but it's telling that the US and the UK, two scientific powers and nations you'd look towards for leadership during this situation, have and are massively dropping the ball. Says a lot about the respective governments. They've treated this like a 15 year old "iT's JuSt ThE fLu" kid would have if that was who was in charge. 

Perhaps the logical conclusion from this is they've not dropped the ball at all. They've just sat on their hands and idly let it hit the floor? I've seen nothing to suggest either here or in the US that this is not going exactly to the plan they wished. 

14 hours ago, cochyn said:

Herd immunity is a perfectly practical measure - if done correctly ensuring the most vulnerable 5% are ring-fenced. I may be missing something here - but is the perception that the government's version of herd immunity just to let the virus rip through the populace with little or no safeguards in place? 

My understanding is herd immunity has never been practiced before without vaccine. We are in effect human guinea pigs. Another set back with this whole theory, is there is no proof that once you've had the virus you carry immunity or if you do carry immunity how long it would last for. Our herd immunity plan was widely ridiculed internationally. So we stopped using the term and the government's official stance is it is not part of our policy any longer - although it's hard to see how it's not current policy.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

The narrative is being set. They haven’t fucked up or lied, just facing a difficult job and need to be clearer. Anyone thinking the public will hold them to account is kidding themselves.

In both the US and the UK the right is going to successfully pivot on this and provide a small modicum of personal benefits to appease.

Trump is already talking about infrastructure investment like it was a Republican goal all along.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I suppose that'll be counter balanced by all the people that didn't bother calling.

I think so. Of the people I know who are pretty sure they have had it, none of them have done the online symptoms checker, but I know a smaller group of people who have done the online jobby and are very unliklely to have had it. Having said that, if the study from Iceland suggesting that 50% of people are asymptomatic, then 3.4 million people could have had it.

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Isn't that still a good thing? People get on these machines and it decreases the likelihood of ever needing a ventilator? 

Don't think people are not saying its still good. But it just seems another thing Musk is pushing as sonething he's not. 

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I think so. Of the people I know who are pretty sure they have had it, none of them have done the online symptoms checker, but I know a smaller group of people who have done the online jobby and are very unliklely to have had it. Having said that, if the study from Iceland suggesting that 50% of people are asymptomatic, then 3.4 million people could have had it.

I've wondered whether being less susceptible to normal flu or other similar viruses would make you less susceptible to this. I have no idea what properties they share, or whether your body even works that way. I was curious because I have never, in 33 years, had anything like what most people describe as "flu". The "oh, you'll know when you have it" comments are either true and I've never had it, or it was so fucking mild for me that I assumed it was a cold and it just fucked off after a couple of days. If this is the case for coronavirus, as you say, hundreds of thousands of people have probably already had it (or will have it) without even noticing. 

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Don't think people are not saying its still good. But it just seems another thing Musk is pushing as sonething he's not. 

I think these machines suffice in the vast majority of cases, meaning the intubating is less and the ventilators can be used for those who really need it. He's provided them and shipping free - not sure why anybody would want to downplay that?

7 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I think these machines suffice in the vast majority of cases, meaning the intubating is less and the ventilators can be used for those who really need it. He's provided them and shipping free - not sure why anybody would want to downplay that?

I think it's more he's made a prick of himself recently and keeps saying he's supplying ventelators. His reaction to any criticism will lead to people criticising him. Also people online are cunts 

Good to see the media giving them a fair bit of shit here, maybe this type of pressure will finally get them moving if it's sustained enough. It almost seemed like we needed a week or so of outrage online before schools closed and the lockdown started, maybe to get the testing ramped up some outrage from the media is needed instead.