You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 hours ago, suzy said:

My friends daughter was in bits last night. Her lad is a gentle soul of about 13/14. She also has a 7 year old and a 2 year old. The lad has struggled with the constant stream of schoolwork he’s been getting and was getting anxious. She’s been home schooling best she can with such a vast age difference to cope with. She said the work is really full on.

Anyway she called the school and they said just concentrate on maths science and English. This had been going well mixed in with puzzles, walking their dog, painting etc. Then she saw a message on his school app from his geography teacher using very strong language such as ‘disappointing’ and ‘there will be serious consequences’ because not all the class has sent their work in on time! So now the poor lad is upset and anxious and his mother is fuming.

That’s not right surely, I didn’t think that much work was set. I bet there’s  many parents not doing any ‘schooling’ at all!

Yip experiencing the same 13/14 X 2 girls. Came to a head today we're music teacher posted needing 500 word synopsis of a 45 min video of an orchestra playing.  Drew up timetable of English, maths , french and sciences that's it can't do any more.  Teachers don't seem to be able to assess what the right level of work is for each subject . This is new learning curve for parents and children teachers need to wind their necks in a bit. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, clockspeed said:

Yip experiencing the same 13/14 X 2 girls. Came to a head today we're music teacher posted needing 500 word synopsis of a 45 min video of an orchestra playing.  Drew up timetable of English, maths , french and sciences that's it can't do any more.  Teachers don't seem to be able to assess what the right level of work is for each subject . This is new learning curve for parents and children teachers need to wind their necks in a bit. 

It's a learning curve for teachers, too, which explains certain unreasonable expectations. From them. But also on them. A lot of pressure is being placed on teachers by management, who are surveilling them online and desperate to see them look productive.

Everybody needs to get a grip here. Most schoolwork is just intended to fill the school day when parents farm out their kids to glorified babysitting facilities. It doesn't need to come home. And if it does, ignore it and do something more valuable (talk to your kids, have them read books they enjoy or documentaries they find interesting, introduce them to the wireless, get them to build or fix something, etc). If the teachers or management hassle you, have a stern word. If that doesn't work, plead unspecified illness.

This is an incredible opportunity for worthwhile learning. Don't waste it on school or faux homeschooling.

In my opinion...

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, suzy said:

I feel for you and all the parents out there with young children. My son is 29 so luckily don’t have that problem (although he works for a supermarket so of course that’s another worry)

The lad drives me insane! He's not one of these feral little sods you see prowling the streets with their hands down the front of their kecks or smoking pot on a street corner. He has got issues (he's moderately dyslexic and I think he's suffering from depression), and it just seems like he's given up! Just guts me!

7 hours ago, suzy said:

My friends daughter was in bits last night. Her lad is a gentle soul of about 13/14. She also has a 7 year old and a 2 year old. The lad has struggled with the constant stream of schoolwork he’s been getting and was getting anxious. She’s been home schooling best she can with such a vast age difference to cope with. She said the work is really full on.

Anyway she called the school and they said just concentrate on maths science and English. This had been going well mixed in with puzzles, walking their dog, painting etc. Then she saw a message on his school app from his geography teacher using very strong language such as ‘disappointing’ and ‘there will be serious consequences’ because not all the class has sent their work in on time! So now the poor lad is upset and anxious and his mother is fuming.

That’s not right surely, I didn’t think that much work was set. I bet there’s  many parents not doing any ‘schooling’ at all!

I am holding daily 40 minute reading classes via FaceTime with my granddaughter. The website linked below allows free ebooks that are used in schools and you pick from the age/level they are on. So far we are both enjoying it, I have cut up a leather jacket and sewn leather patches on my coat. If people ask me what I'm doing for all the other time I get all huffy and tell them I'm doing marking or preparation work, but I'm actually doing sod all.

https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page/?view=image&query=&type=book&age_group=Age+6-7&level=&level_select=&book_type=&series=#

• Upvote 1

It seems this has really exposed the Tory cunts "We're all in this together 10 years of austerity" with the NHS on its arse and only having 8,000 ventilators in the entire UK, relying on F1 teams to create a breathing aids, fuck all ppe equipment, and a mass shortage in NHS staff resulting in near 20k having to rejoin or come out of retirement. 

Remember it was only a few weeks ago the Tory cunts were saying we need a mass heard of infections in this country for people to build up an immunity to COVID19, until they saw the projections of 250k deaths as a result of their "Let's do fuck all" attitude. 

As for the 80% employee wage scheme you can guarantee this will be paid for by the poorest in the country while they bailout their Tory mates like Dickhead Branson. 

Bow is the time for everyone to do their bit but when this is over there needs to be fucking uproar that the NHS were put into this position in the first place by being woefully under prepared for this. 

I mean no ppe ffs this is just scandalous and at the very least we should be manufacturing that stuff here rather than having to rely of the country that exposed to world to this virus for our protective equipment. 

If I had some money that's a business I'd be setting up in the uk as soon as this is over. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Suzy, my two daughters are getting on with their work as best they can. My son on the other hand is just not having it. We have a nightmare of a time getting him to school when life is normal, and no amount of asking, pleading, threatening or anything else is getting him to work at home.

I wish sometimes both of us were keyworkers, at least then he'd have to go in to school and just get on with it.

We have a garden shed which has a healthy spider population if you want to lock him up somewhere.

2 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

It's a learning curve for teachers, too, which explains certain unreasonable expectations. From them. But also on them. A lot of pressure is being placed on teachers by management, who are surveilling them online and desperate to see them look productive.

Everybody needs to get a grip here. Most schoolwork is just intended to fill the school day when parents farm out their kids to glorified babysitting facilities. It doesn't need to come home. And if it does, ignore it and do something more valuable (talk to your kids, have them read books they enjoy or documentaries they find interesting, introduce them to the wireless, get them to build or fix something, etc). If the teachers or management hassle you, have a stern word. If that doesn't work, plead unspecified illness.

This is an incredible opportunity for worthwhile learning. Don't waste it on school or faux homeschooling.

In my opinion...

I agree alien for the teachers also. From what I have seen and read they are being "performance managed" online also . 

8 hours ago, suzy said:

The Geography teacher sounds an absolute arsehole. Shameful.

My granddaughter is about the same age and shes finding it really hard, I know she is worried about the world situation, and we try to talk to her as much as possible and lead by example - washing hands, not going out etc etc - he needs to give his head a wobble.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
7 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Suzy, my two daughters are getting on with their work as best they can. My son on the other hand is just not having it. We have a nightmare of a time getting him to school when life is normal, and no amount of asking, pleading, threatening or anything else is getting him to work at home.

I wish sometimes both of us were keyworkers, at least then he'd have to go in to school and just get on with it.

We're obviously home schooling our 13 yo son and it's certainly been a challenge for me so far, especially being as I'm still under the weather. He thinks because he's at home that he's on holiday, as do all his mates. The school have an on-line group and they set work/projects for them to do, but it just isn't enough imo. One trick I've used which might help you mate is that I've been watching documentaries on the various streaming sites about Animals/Weather/Science etc and he's learning loads as it interests him, it is then easy for him  to get stuck into German, Maths and English which seem to be the 3 subjects the School are pushing. His English is perfect, so we can spend more time on the other two subjects and watching documentaries which are beneficial. The Wife and eldest son are both working from home and have enough to do, so we all have to muck in. Hope you find a way to get over his issues mate. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Just had a long phone call with the Health Department here in Bielefeld. Took loads of Data and just awaiting a second call/E-mail for this second test I have to undergo, he was telling me it will take about an hour as not only do they test for Covid again but do a thorough examination. I got chatting to him about the worrying times and the fact they must be extremely busy and under stress, he said they've tested over 3000 people in the last few weeks alone, plus the hospitals have done way more. Well over 20% of the Cities population in total according to him. He was also a volunteer as his normal job is on hold, so he could be bullshitting. 

51 minutes ago, redinblack62 said:

The Geography teacher sounds an absolute arsehole. Shameful.

My granddaughter is about the same age and shes finding it really hard, I know she is worried about the world situation, and we try to talk to her as much as possible and lead by example - washing hands, not going out etc etc - he needs to give his head a wobble.

At the end of the day most parents aren’t teachers who have trained for years. I have a couple of teachers on my Facebook and they’re putting shout outs if anyone wants help. 
My sister is a deputy head and she said the first day after the decision to shut schools was one on the worse for stress in her 30 years. Parents were pretending to be key workers just to offload their kids!

1 minute ago, suzy said:

At the end of the day most parents aren’t teachers who have trained for years. I have a couple of teachers on my Facebook and they’re putting shout outs if anyone wants help. 
My sister is a deputy head and she said the first day after the decision to shut schools was one on the worse for stress in her 30 years. Parents were pretending to be key workers just to offload their kids!

Can understand its unknown territory for teachers Suzy, and yes I am sure some parents take the piss, as they always do, but the language used by the teacher in the example given is intemperate to say the least and totally lacking in empathy. Sounds like a couple of teachers I had to be honest.

11 minutes ago, suzy said:

Did she give any decent tips for what works to fob your kids off ?

Asking for a friend ( cant imagine the wife's nurses outfit will cut the mustard ).

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

Did she give any decent tips for what works to fob your kids off ?

Asking for a friend ( cant imagine the wife's nurses outfit will cut the mustard ).

No!! They asked for ID in the end so that suddenly reduced the numbers by about 160!!

14 minutes ago, redinblack62 said:

Can understand its unknown territory for teachers Suzy, and yes I am sure some parents take the piss, as they always do, but the language used by the teacher in the example given is intemperate to say the least and totally lacking in empathy. Sounds like a couple of teachers I had to be honest.

I know and I wouldn’t like to be that teacher when schools are open again because she’s going to give it to her with both barrels!

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

We're obviously home schooling our 13 yo son and it's certainly been a challenge for me so far, especially being as I'm still under the weather. He thinks because he's at home that he's on holiday, as do all his mates. The school have an on-line group and they set work/projects for them to do, but it just isn't enough imo. One trick I've used which might help you mate is that I've been watching documentaries on the various streaming sites about Animals/Weather/Science etc and he's learning loads as it interests him, it is then easy for him  to get stuck into German, Maths and English which seem to be the 3 subjects the School are pushing. His English is perfect, so we can spend more time on the other two subjects and watching documentaries which are beneficial. The Wife and eldest son are both working from home and have enough to do, so we all have to muck in. Hope you find a way to get over his issues mate. 

Cheers mucker, anything is worth a go. Hope your health is improving.

Mine has taken to it better than I expected actually, though he's only eight. I'd thought a teenager would be a much tougher prospect. No hassle from the school either. The teachers just send out messages that are supposed to help, tips, ideas, etc. 

They've got a folder with work for four weeks (not including the two weeks for Easter), which he gets through pretty quickly, and the rest of the time I'm making up my own school stuff (maths using darts, spellings, etc) - luckily, he'd started to enjoy reading of his own accord about a month or two ago, so that helps. We're doing that Joe Wicks PE thing every morning (though he's more interested in getting a shout out than the actual exercise), drawing, etc. He got a guitar for Christmas, so that's something I want to get him doing but that's about the one thing he's currently resisting. 

• Upvote 1