You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 hours ago, Elite said:

I tested positive for the virus but am out of hospital now. Just feel light-headed as fuck due to the blood thinners.

There wasn't many young people in hospital with the virus, I was only in there due to the blood clots in my lungs. The 'younger' people tended to be fat, conversely I saw very old people with the virus that appeared to be dealing with it okay, their main issues were the complete inability to care for themselves such as incontinence, feeding, etc but that's probably their general level of independence.

Fortunately I did not get close to the ICU, so can't comment on the demographic in there.

There appeared to be plenty PPE available for staff and enough beds but this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Glad to hear your on the mend and it wasn't too serious Elite!

I had a pulmonary embolism almost 10 years ago when I was 31. Passed out at a wedding, I thought I was ok, but I had turned blue, so they got me an ambulance... spent a week in hospital! Funnily enough, they thought the cause of the dvt was a really bad flu which I'd had for the 3 weeks before. Good thing I went to the wedding, as staying at home to recover from the flu was probably the sensible thing to do, but then I'd have been home by myself, and if it happened then, I may not have been able to phone 999.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Anubis said:

We’ll know soon enough if he rises from the dead on Easter Sunday.

I don't think he will this year, the won't be anywhere open for him to go.

My friends daughter was in bits last night. Her lad is a gentle soul of about 13/14. She also has a 7 year old and a 2 year old. The lad has struggled with the constant stream of schoolwork he’s been getting and was getting anxious. She’s been home schooling best she can with such a vast age difference to cope with. She said the work is really full on.

Anyway she called the school and they said just concentrate on maths science and English. This had been going well mixed in with puzzles, walking their dog, painting etc. Then she saw a message on his school app from his geography teacher using very strong language such as ‘disappointing’ and ‘there will be serious consequences’ because not all the class has sent their work in on time! So now the poor lad is upset and anxious and his mother is fuming.

That’s not right surely, I didn’t think that much work was set. I bet there’s  many parents not doing any ‘schooling’ at all!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, suzy said:

My friends daughter was in bits last night. Her lad is a gentle soul of about 13/14. She also has a 7 year old and a 2 year old. The lad has struggled with the constant stream of schoolwork he’s been getting and was getting anxious. She’s been home schooling best she can with such a vast age difference to cope with. She said the work is really full on.

Anyway she called the school and they said just concentrate on maths science and English. This had been going well mixed in with puzzles, walking their dog, painting etc. Then she saw a message on his school app from his geography teacher using very strong language such as ‘disappointing’ and ‘there will be serious consequences’ because not all the class has sent their work in on time! So now the poor lad is upset and anxious and his mother is fuming.

That’s not right surely, I didn’t think that much work was set. I bet there’s  many parents not doing any ‘schooling’ at all!

Suzy, my two daughters are getting on with their work as best they can. My son on the other hand is just not having it. We have a nightmare of a time getting him to school when life is normal, and no amount of asking, pleading, threatening or anything else is getting him to work at home.

I wish sometimes both of us were keyworkers, at least then he'd have to go in to school and just get on with it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Suzy, my two daughters are getting on with their work as best they can. My son on the other hand is just not having it. We have a nightmare of a time getting him to school when life is normal, and no amount of asking, pleading, threatening or anything else is getting him to work at home.

I wish sometimes both of us were keyworkers, at least then he'd have to go in to school and just get on with it.

I feel for you and all the parents out there with young children. My son is 29 so luckily don’t have that problem (although he works for a supermarket so of course that’s another worry)

• Upvote 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-52111530

An actor and dialect coach who appeared in Star Wars and worked with A-list celebrities has died after contracting Covid-19, his agent has said.

Andrew Jack, 76, died in a Surrey hospital on Tuesday.

Agent Jill McCullough said she had been inundated with tributes to one of the acting world's "brightest and clearest voices".

She said Jack was unable to see his wife in his final days because she was quarantined in Australia.

His acting credits included The Last Jedi and the Force Awakens.

'Working full-pelt'

Fellow Star Wars actor Greg Grunberg said he was "devastated" to learn of Jack's death, describing him as a "wonderful, talented, beloved gentleman".

"He is one of the kindest people I've ever worked with," he added.

Jack, who lived on a houseboat on the River Thames, had been "full of life", "funny, charming and a joy to be around," his agent said.

"He was still working full-pelt, currently coaching on the new Batman," she added.

He had been unable to see his wife, fellow dialect coach Gabrielle Rogers, who he was "madly in love with", because she was "stuck in quarantine in Australia, having just flown in from New Zealand last week," Ms McCullough said.